Vivaldi 1.12 not usable on RHEL/CentOS 7

• Version 1.12 comes with a dependency on GLIBC_2.18 which is not yet available for EL7 platforms (it's still 2.17 there).

While I understand that this is not the most broadly used platform it is still a platform to which professionals like myself are tied. It would be good to have some kind of solution here.

• You are right, RHEL and centOS is Logterm Linux.
    It should install.
    We have some bug reports and i will ask a developer in chat now.

• Same problem here with RedHat EL 7.

Until this is fixed, where can I find the last version of 1.11?

Thanks.

• @huboon said in Vivaldi 1.12 not usable on RHEL/CentOS 7:

Same problem here with RedHat EL 7.

Until this is fixed, where can I find the last version of 1.11?

I copied the download link for 1.12 and changed the program version in it to 1.11.917.39.

• @mbert said in Vivaldi 1.12 not usable on RHEL/CentOS 7:

I copied the download link for 1.12 and changed the program version in it to 1.11.917.39.

That worked, I'm back in business.

Thanks.

• The last RPM that works on RHEL/CentOS 7 for the moment is actually slightly newer than the one posted up here. You need vivaldi-stable-1.11.917.43-1.x86_64.rpm which was built on 21st Aug 2017.

The sad thing about this is - like Google and Mozilla - the Vivaldi folks clearly don't care about Linux LTS releases very much. Firefox and Chrome downloaded from their respective official sites now no longer work on RHEL/CentOS 6 for example, despite having just over 3 years of OS support left on them. I suspect Vivaldi has probably never worked on RHEL/CentOS 6 from day one, which is even worse.

• Yeah, I've learned not to hold my breath over these things.

@rkl Vivaldi works on a broad spectrum of Linux flavors including most if not all popular ones but, with the profusion of them, the crew is simply not big enough to keep track of, ensure compatibility with, and perform updates for all of them.

The Vivaldi crew is particularly rich in Linux users (a couple of them are discussing its close working relationship with Mageia today, for instance) and is, therefore, more than usually friendly to this family of OSes. In fact, there are some flavors that ship Vivaldi as their standard browser offering. There are others that get the naked code from Vivaldi and compile it to work on their platform, sometimes the same day as a new snapshot or stable is released.

Chrome/Chromium has discontinued support for 32-bit Linux but Vivaldi, based on Chromium, has back-patched Vivaldi so that it can run on 32-bit Linux. This took several weeks.

Proportionally, there are far more Linux and Mac users in the Vivaldi team than in the overall population.

The Vivaldi attitude toward Linux would be perhaps the exact opposite of "don't care."

• @ayespy I understand that you simply can't test Vivaldi against every Linux variant out there, but it's quite clear that you've not got the latest version of world's most popular commercial Linux distro (RHEL 7) in your test suite. You can of course use CentOS 7 as a free substitute - slap it in a VM, install the Vivaldi RPM and run the binary - all not hard to do - and you get an immediate failure (so it's not even a subtle bug - even the error message about glibc versions tells you what's wrong).

And before you scream that RHEL/CentOS is a sever-only OS, it actually has workstation versions and is used by companies for its stability over multiple years. Its "bleeding edge" equivalent, Fedora, needs to be upgraded every 6 months, which is wholly unsuitable for professional environments. I bet you test against Fedora though!

• Hi, I understand you are pixxed but it is not only Vivaldi, Chrome and Opera not supporting RHEL.
    Open Office, Gimp, Blender 3D are not support it too.
    Blender kicked CentOS for the next version completly.
    All Linux distris are only 5% market share for home/workstations and RHEL is may a few % of this 5%.
    Not enough manpower to support it, I fear.

https://w3techs.com/technologies/comparison/os-redhat,os-suse,os-ubuntu

Cheers, mib

• @Ayespy said in [Vivaldi 1.12 not usable on RHEL/CentOS 7]

@rkl Have you filed a bug report?

I've filed one now. I thought that reporting the problem here would suffice, but being able to report bugs is better of course.

• @mib2berlin said in Vivaldi 1.12 not usable on RHEL/CentOS 7:

Hi, I understand you are pixxed but it is not only Vivaldi, Chrome and Opera not supporting RHEL.
    Open Office, Gimp, Blender 3D are not support it too.

There are pretty new and usable versions of LibreOffice and Gimp available for my platform. Also the folks running EPEL do a good job porting software. Hence in the open source world things are fine. However when it comes to closed-source software like Vivaldi it's not that easy.

The problem we're talking about here should be fairly easy to fix by linking against glibc 2.17 rather than 2.18 - if there's not something used from 2.18 which isn't in 2.17. Unfortunately glibc dependencies are not easy to work around. This is why we depend on the Vivaldi folks to help here.

All Linux distris are only 5% market share for home/workstations and RHEL is may a few % of this 5%.
    Not enough manpower to support it, I fear.

Actually the EL famliy of Linux distros is larger than it seems (since there's a whole bunch of compatible RHEL clone distros out there), but I agree, their overall share is rather small. However those who (have to) use these distros are likely to be professionals ("power users") which are definitely Vivaldi's target group.

• Hi, I agree and thanks for the information.

Cheers, mib

• I just updated my RHEL7 box from 1.11 to vivaldi-stable-1.12.955.38-1.x86_64.

Many thanks to the Vivaldi team for fixing the glibc dependency issue!

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.