[SOLVED] Site Settings - cannot edit any of them

• When I load the Site Settings page, by clicking the globe or lock icon to the left of the website address in the address bar, it creates a new tab and loads, but an error dialog appears and immediately disappears without my interaction.

It took a few tries but I got a screenshot of the error dialog. It's title is "Some settings were reset" and the body text reads, "Vivaldi detected that some of your settings were corrupted by another program and reset them to their original defaults. Learn more" where Learn more appears to be a link. Of course I cannot click the link because the dialog disappears so quickly. The two button choices on the dialog are "OK" and "RESET ALL SETTINGS".

Then I'm left with the Site Settings page, but it's completely unresponsive. I cannot click into any of the sections, I cannot scroll the page (neither with the mouse wheel, clicking the scroll bar or using the arrow keys.

Has anyone else experienced this before? And is there any advice on a fix, without resetting all settings?

This occurs after I install Vivaldi on a brand new computer built. Since there is no settings sync, nor is there an export/import functionality for settings, I googled and read up on how others achieved it. They said to look up your profile folder path in the Vivaldi application. Clicking the Vivaldi menu, then Help / About should give you this path. You copy the contents of that path, which ends in "...\Default" and you paste them into the profile path of the new installation on the new computer.

More important to me than most of the settings can access are keeping the long list of sites that I have allowed to set cookies, or use JavaScript or allow popups. I have these 3 functions disabled by default, but for sites I trust & use frequently I got into Site Settings and specifically allow the root domain to do so. Retyping those lists would be days of work.

So I'm hoping there is an easy fix for this issue. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Not sure how to edit, but figured I would add system information...

Both the old & new systems are running Win10Pro. I am almost 100% certain that the old system is also on the latest (stable) Vivaldi, as is the new system.

• @craftbrewmaster said in Site Settings - cannot edit any of them:

Not sure how to edit

There is an icon with three blue vertical dots. Click that to edit your posts.

Do you get the same results on every website, or just one? I have no problems editing site settings on this site.

Specs: AMD A10-6800K, 8 Gb on Win 10 64-bit • Snapshot 1.12.955.14 (64-bit)

• @pesala said in Site Settings - cannot edit any of them:

@craftbrewmaster said in Site Settings - cannot edit any of them:

Not sure how to edit

There is an icon with for blue vertical dots. Click that to edit your posts.

Do you get the same results on every website, or just one? I have no problems editing site settings on this site.

Specs: AMD A10-6800K, 8 Gb on Win 10 64-bit • Snapshot 1.12.955.14 (64-bit)

Thanks for the tipping on editing posts.

Yes, this occurs for every website. It got all my settings rolled over, and the sites I had previously allowed to set cookies, use JavaScript & create popups can do it too, but I cannot use that page for any future edits currently.

Strange i never had such issue.

Which Vivaldi version do you use?
    Do you have any extensions in Vivaldi?
    Which special settings (domain exceptions, internal settings, flags and other) did you make after your first start of Vivaldi in your Windows user account?
    Which security tools are on your PC?

@craftbrewmaster said in Site Settings - cannot edit any of them:

Not sure how to edit

at left of you post use the vertical 3-dot menu to open a submeu for Edit.

• @gwen-dragon said in Site Settings - cannot edit any of them:

Strange i never had such issue.

Which Vivaldi version do you use?
    Do you have any extensions in Vivaldi?
    Which special settings (domain exceptions, internal settings, flags and other) did you make after your first start of Vivaldi in your Windows user account?
    Which security tools are on your PC?

Vivaldi 1.11.917.43 (Stable channel) (32-bit)
    Revision 6171cfeb79410505bfdd70a1434a4587da29614e-

I have nothing else installed on this PC besides drivers and the standard Windows updates. I'm letting Windows Defender do its thing of course, but it's a brand new install of Windows 10 Professional. Oh, I did go ahead and install Office, but that was after I posted the original post in this thread. I haven't gone into the http://vivaldi:flags or any of those pages yet to do any tweaks. All I did was from my laptop, which is running the same version, I went to the About page of Vivaldi, found my profile path which is something like "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\User Data\Default" and copy the contents from it on my laptop onto a USB thumb drive, then pasted those contents into that same folder on the new computer where I am now having the problem where I am unable to edit the Site Settings.

On difference I did notice, looking at the About pages between the two... is that Flash is disabled on the new instance, perhaps I need to install Flash. Based on my reading the one thing this settings transfer (by copy/pasting your profile path's contents) doesn't transfer is extensions, those need to be reinstalled. I have not yet done that, well, I did do it after the first attempt (I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Vivaldi and redoing the profile transfer).

Aside from this issue, the profile transfer did work fine. I do have cookies enabled on the hundreds upon hundreds of sites that I had previously enabled, same with JS & popups. My custom theme colors came across, etc. So it would be great if something like a settings export & import functionality were baked into Vivaldi, and knowing what I know about the folks who develop it I expect that at some point down the road they will likely implement such a thing, if not even a sync of settings between machines. But for now, I'm stuck trying to find the solution to my inability work with that page.

I'll start installing the extensions, as I don't have any installed now. I'll install Flash too. Perhaps one of those things will fix the problem.

If anyone has any other thoughts on what to try, please let me know. And if I find a solution I will certainly share it with the community.

@craftbrewmaster Hm. It's working perfectly here.

Have you considered refreshing your profile and adding back only the critical data you need (bookmarks, etc.) rather than trying to use the entire imported profile?

• @ayespy said in Site Settings - cannot edit any of them:

@craftbrewmaster Hm. It's working perfectly here.

Have you considered refresh your profile and adding back only the critical data you need (bookmarks, etc.) rather than trying to use the entire imported profile?

I was just coming back here to ask if anyone knows which file the list of approved sites for setting cookies, using javascript & allowing popups are. I know the bookmarks file, already, and was just about to start digging through the profile directory to see if I could figure it out on my own. I imagine those would be 3 different files. But the way I use my browser is I don't allow any sites to set cookies, use JS or popups. When I encounter a new site and I need to use those things, I go to site settings and add [*.]domanname.com to the list. I'm mostly concerned about the cookies & JS lists. Those are much longer than the sites I've given popup freedom to. Because I would totally refresh my profile and just copy over the bookmarks, cookies & JS files and then do the rest of stuff manually. But that data entry for the cookies... it would be several hours, maybe half a day's worth of data entry to recreate it with my laptop next to me while I just type everything back in.

But I think what you are saying would be the best way to go about fixing the problem.

• Ok, here's where I'm at now... I did the profile refresh, and it fixed the problem. Then I went into the old profile and copied over these files into the Default folder...