STILL important functionality shortcomings RE: BOOKMARKS BAR getting ignored, why?

• The best way I can simplify what seems to be a long time issue with Bookmarks and Bookmarks Bar management. The ability to manage them is divided between these 2 options when all of the functions could be made available right at the bookmarks bar. Having both methods to access bookmarks is redundant and a messy way to manage. Every time I bookmark something using the "ADD ACTIVE TAB" feature, I love how it just takes the current page and puts it in the respective folder. But if I want to name the bookmark something simple, I am unable to even do it because Vivaldi just automatically adds that bookmark using whatever respective page name was given in the address bar at the time. That is sometimes way too long to even read. And to make matters worst, in order to change the name of the bookmark, I cannot even do it from the folder where it resides on the bookmarks bar. I have to access bookmarks via panels, or tools, & I don't see the how this is more efficient.

Bookmark folders are not the same bookmarks as those residing on the bar, although the those that are on the bookmark bar reside in the bookmarks section. But the ability to manage bookmarks is only a complete function within panels or in the bookmarks section via speed dial or tools. It's only partially available on the bookmark bar since the context menu options only exist for bookmarks directly on the bookmark bar.

Context menu option should be available on all bookmarks located within folders located on the bar as well. The bookmarks bar isn't a complete thought yet. It's a half finished design

• @nunyabiziness said in STILL important functionality shortcomings RE: BOOKMARKS BAR getting ignored, why?:

I cannot see how this does not affect everyone

Because everyone is different. Luckily I'd add. I am good with bookmarks in the sidepanel.

• This wall of text, while detailed, might be a bit difficult to distill.
    tl;dr, your problem is that:

• Bookmark bar sub-menus don't allow for right-clicking
    • The "add current page" context option doesn't pop up the same option as would be seen by clicking the "add bookmark" button in the address bar
    • You should be able to drag & drop and organise the same way in the bookmarks bar as you can in the bookmarks panel

Is that a correct summary?

Incidentally, I agree with point 1, definitely. Point 3 is probably a good idea. I think point 2 would be contentious depending on the individual.

• End users, especially power users, need to be able to manage bookmarks effectively and efficiently.

Power users are quite capable of organising their bookmarks effectively and efficiently in the Bookmarks Panel or the Bookmarks Tab. Using a context menu is not particularly efficient

• @ian-coog But why is the function there for bookmarks directly on the bookmarks bar? I merely said it's missing for the bookmarks located in the folders on the bar so it's as if the functionality is implemented partially. I can't understand why you would say it's not efficient to have the ability to manage bookmarks from the bookmarks bar the same way as it can be done via panels. I bet more people use the bookmarks bar than people who use panels. And using both is rather redundant. And since Vivaldi is giving both options the least they could do is make both methods fully functional. Not all bookmarks are even saved on the bar and the bar is usually where people are working with the bookmarks they use most. THAT is why it is efficient to have the context menu option COMPLETELY functional in that respect. It's perfect for on the fly management while quickly adding pages to folders without having to open panels.

Not everyone even knows panels are a function Vivaldi but I bet everyone knows about the bookmarks bar. Vivaldi gave us the ability to save a webpage as a bookmark on the fly with the "ADD ACTIVE PAGE" function. Saying that it's inefficient to have context menu editing for all bookmarks on the bar and within folders is like saying "ADD ACTIVE TAB" is inefficient. Do you use these features alot? If you do this should all make good sense to you. If anything is inefficient, it's using the panels to access bookmarks that reside on the bookmark bar. Using panels to access history would monopolize the panel function to use bookmarks so if I want to access history via panels and manage my bookmarks and edit them via the bookmarks via the bar, THAT is efficient.

You might have to know how to full understand what is going on within a power user's world before critically stating they can do just fine within panels . That is far from being an accurate statement. Anyone can manage bookmarks in the panel. But why on earth would I want to if the bookmarks is sitting right there on the bar?

Rookies

• @nunyabiziness said in STILL important functionality shortcomings RE: BOOKMARKS BAR getting ignored, why?:

There is no way anyone could be good at bookmark management using Vivaldi at this time because there isn't a worthy method to even do it.

That is nonsense. It is far easier to manage bookmarks from the Panel or the Bookmarks Tab than from any context menu. For a start, you can select multiple bookmarks and delete them with one key press, or move them all at once with Drag and Drop. You can also do this with search results.

I have no objection to enabling a context menu on Bookmark Bar folders for those who prefer to do things the hard way, but to say that there is no worthy way to organise bookmarks is plainly false.

0_1504985459713_Organise Bookmarks.png

I also posted a feature request for a bookmarks menu for those who prefer that route.

• @

@nunyabiziness The bookmarks bar is, unfortunately, not a priority at the moment because it's a LOT of coding to build in functions that already exist two other places in the browser, and there are some higher priorities at the moment. The bookmarks bar will be completed. No ETA.

As someone who uses the browser all day every day to accomplish my job, and makes heavy use of bookmarks, it turns out I'm not always messing with my bookmarks. I arranged them by hand months ago to suit my needs and don't need to reorganize them; I only delete ones I discover are obsolete, and I may add as many as one per month. Or less. So in my particular case, hourly use of the bookmarks bar and infrequent recourse to the bookmarks panel turns out to be just fine for me, and a completely workable solution.

I agree it will be really great when the bookmarks bar is fully functional (and can be placed vertically at the side, like I've been waiting for, for 33 months). But when that will make it to the top of the priority pile is anyone's guess at the moment.

• @lonm Srry for tangling so much wording. I'll try to word better and be be more brief.
    But yes, it's the right click option to access the context menu with all of the typical options on bookmarks on the bookmark bar. It's available on all bookmarks directly on the bookmark bar but any bookmarks located within folders have no context menu functionality. It just executes the link. It's a bit confusing why the context menu is there for bookmarks directly on the bar. So why wouldn't it be there for the subfolders and bookmarks within folders? It makes it awkward to manage for people like me who are creating several bookmarks and folders in a hurry and then shuffling & renaming them afterwards on the fly. I cannot always make a perfect bookmark menu until I gather all my resources and then I can better organize them. I like to do this while keeping my current page being viewed. There are so many scenarios that make this functionality a must have and it's not like it isn't available on all the other browsers. It is. I do think it's Vivaldi's intent to fix this but when I brought it up to someone from Vivaldi team last year, the response indicated they had every intention of getting to this and implement the functions. But it's a year later and not even a word about it. Seems some people do not find editing bookmarks or shuffling them on the fly a worthwhile function but I'm not trying to bash a browser that I am using every day here. I'm using it with intentions to be able to fully utilize it and my conversation with Vivaldi convinced me they would follow through so I built all my web browser usage around this browser now. So when I see alot of time go by and they don't so much as show any intentions of at least bringing up the issue and tell what there intentions are or if they've changed, yea, it bothers me. But I'm still here. Still using the browser. Love alot of the other functions. But no way can someone say it's not practical or useful to have the right click context menu for all bookmarks, whether in folders or directly on the bar. That's just some immature kid trying to peck my wood

• @pesala Maybe for you. Get a grip. Man, do you even understand this issue? The menu you are showing is what is missing from the bookmarks bar. What a rookie. The menu you show is available for bookmarks located directly on the bar but it is missing for bookmarks located within the folders located on the bar.. N.S. it's easier to edit and manage using panels. But those functions are also supposed to be available from the bookmarks bar.. Saying no worthy way to edit bookmarks was referring to "from the bookmark menu". People seem to think it is me talking about a feature as if I want it to cater to me when it is those who write the software who seem to make it cater to them and expect everyone to fall in line. Go check all the top rated browser and see if the context menu exists fro bookmarks on the bar AND those within the respective folders on the bar. I'm not talking about something less convenient. I use the panels for my extensions as they sometimes have to be disabled on the fly on many pages. The function for bookmarks having a context menu already exists. But only those directly on the bar. So what happened for the bookmarks located in folders that are on the bar? Forget something? How about drag and drop? You got some of these things but on the bookmarks bar it's incomplete and this is what all other browsers have. I'm merely pointing out that it's not an easier option to manage this within panels and if you want to make something more versatile, adding the context menu option for ALL bookmarks on the bar , including the folders, then do it with the understanding that it's an improvement instead of taking it personal. It's called constructive criticism. A hard pill to swallow for those who think they know it all

@pesala Maybe for you. Get a grip. Man, do you even understand this issue? The menu you are showing is what is missing from the bookmarks bar. What a rookie. The menu you show is available for bookmarks located directly on the bar but it is missing for bookmarks located within the folders located on the bar.. N.S. it's easier to edit and manage using panels. But those functions are also supposed to be available from the bookmarks bar.

Seriously? Chill out.

Get a grip. Man, do you even understand this issue?

I am not the one ranting and shouting. I understand the issue perfectly, and I can only reply to what you actually say, not to what you later claim to have meant.

It is not constructive criticism to repeatedly nag about your pet issue, which is well known, has been reported a dozen times before, and is not simple to fix. As Ayespy said:

The bookmarks bar is, unfortunately, not a priority at the moment because it's a LOT of coding to build in functions that already exist two other places in the browser, and there are some higher priorities at the moment. The bookmarks bar will be completed. No ETA.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.