New Windows Slow to Open

• When opening a new window there is a considerable delay before anything appears. About 2 seconds and another half second or so to finish. Even if I set Home/New Tab to blank.

I did a search before posting and noticed at least one person has noticed the issue on Windows as well.

I assume it has to do with Vivaldi's UI however that's not a good excuse. It's not so much of a major problem as it is an annoyance. As a web developer, I am very experienced with load times and optimizations.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Are there any flags or preferences that can be set to improve the issue?

• @r3volution11 I've noticed this too. I don't understand why it is happening. I also get a delay a little bit after the window has opened, too.

If I recall correctly, standard advice is to check if your security software is interfering, or to clear your downloads list.

• Thanks for your quick reply @LonM.

That's a good recommendation, however, I've personally already done that. I hope we both get a fix to this issue. ๐Ÿ˜„

• I've noticed that new windows are slow compared to other browsers (specifically Opera). The first window being slow I can understand, but if a link opens in a new window (either due to right-click > Open in New Window or because they are using javascript to create a window of a different size) everything is already loaded. So why is that so slow?

• @sgunhouse Partly because "everything" is not "already loaded." A single copy of the UI has been built and for the new window, the entire UI framework has to be built from scratch again.

• By "loaded" I meant just that - bookmarks, history, mail et al are already in memory; the comment about clearing downloads shouldn't apply. There should be some way to just clone the UI.

• @sgunhouse Vivaldi is different from other browsers in that it renders its own UI with HTML, CSS and JavaScript. Opening a new window in Vivaldi has never been instantaneous but the developers do keep trying to find ways to make this faster with every release.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.