Ubuntu 14 recently unable to type in some search and pword boxes

• In the last week or so I have been having problems typing into some search and login dialogs on web pages mostly the cursor does not appear when clicking on the box . Ebay search particularly but other random sites too. In the problem login pages I can enter my user name by clicking on the box deleting the "user name" text using the keyboard delete button the cursor does not appear but I can type in . Tabbing or clicking on the p/w box does nothing and I cannot use any method to enter the password. The Vivaldi site login worked just fine. This problem used to happen a while ago and then seemed to be fixed , (by an update?) .

Thanks

Ubuntu 14.04

Vivaldi Details
    1.11.917.43 (Stable channel) (64-bit)
    Revision 6171cfeb79410505bfdd70a1434a4587da29614e-
    OS Linux
    JavaScript V8 6.0.286.54
    Flash 26.0.0.151 /home/badger/.config/google-chrome/PepperFlash/26.0.0.151/libpepflashplayer.so
    User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/60.0.3112.105 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/1.92.917.43
    Command Line /usr/bin/vivaldi-stable --always-authorize-plugins --enable-blink-features=ResizeObserver --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end
    Executable Path /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi

• I am seeing the same on some websites with both 1.11 and with 1.12 snapshots and using Xfce instead of Unity. To be precise about it, I see four different and probably related problems on several websites:

1.a. The text input cursor does not appear at all.
    1.b. The text input cursor vanishes intermittently.
    2.a. Selected text is not highlighted at all.
    2.b. Selected text is made bold instead of the expected colour changes.

If only I could figure out where this is happening, I could probably figure out why this is happening.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.