Strange double drop-down in the adress bar

• Hi. A couple of days ago I finally decided to move from FireFox, whose latest versions are rather slow and unstable to Vivaldi. I've never used this browser before and, though I like the experience, there are a few things which get me puzzled.

The most annoying thing for the moment is this double drop-down, that sometimes appear in my address line:

0_1504568505401_vivaldi.png

My question is: what is this and how can I close it?

• @marshwiggle Once you get used to it, lots of people find it helpful [me too], but if you don't like it, try disabling:

0_1504571536998_2ed93ff7-d99f-4dcc-a98b-fe0c002d66d8-image.png

Welcome to V.

• @steffie Hi, steffie! Thank you for you comment. I don't want to turn this feature off, I just want to know, how to hide this drop-downs while browsing. The problem is that they don't disappear automatically after I enter an adress.

• @marshwiggle Oh my goodness, that's not good! Are you using Vivaldi's Snapshot or Stable variant? Did you download the installation file from this Vivaldi site [= correct] or from some 3rd-party site [= inadvisable IMO]? Re versions, these are the latest [my pc is up to date, so using it as example]:

[email protected]:~> zypper info vivaldi*
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Information for package **vivaldi-snapshot**:                                                                                                                        
    -----------------------------------------                                                                                                                        
    Repository     : Vivaldi                          
    Name           : vivaldi-snapshot                 
    Version        : 1.12.947.3-1                     
    Arch           : x86_64                           
    Vendor         : Vivaldi Technologies AS          
    Installed Size : 193.4 MiB                        
    Installed      : Yes                              
    Status         : up-to-date                       
    Source package : vivaldi-snapshot-1.12.947.3-1.src
    Summary        : Vivaldi (snapshot)               
    Description    :                                  
        A new browser for our friends

Vivaldi browser is made with power users in mind by people who love the Web.

Information for package **vivaldi-stable**:
    ---------------------------------------
    Repository     : Vivaldi                         
    Name           : vivaldi-stable                  
    Version        : 1.11.917.43-1                   
    Arch           : x86_64                          
    Vendor         : Vivaldi Technologies AS         
    Installed Size : 180.0 MiB                       
    Installed      : Yes                             
    Status         : up-to-date                      
    Source package : vivaldi-stable-1.11.917.43-1.src
    Summary        : Vivaldi                         
    Description    :                                 
        A new browser for our friends

Vivaldi browser is made with power users in mind by people who love the Web.

• @steffie I think, it is the Stable Version. I downloaded Vivaldi from here.

Vivaldi 1.11.917.43 (Stable channel) (64 bit)
    Version 6171cfeb79410505bfdd70a1434a4587da29614e-
    ОС Linux
    JavaScript V8 6.0.286.54
    Flash 26.0.0.151 /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libpepflashplayer.so
    User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/60.0.3112.105 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/1.92.917.43

• @marshwiggle UPD. Even single drop-down hangs sometimes

• @marshwiggle said in Strange double drop-down in the adress bar:

how to hide this drop-downs while browsing. The problem is that they don't disappear automatically after I enter an adress

I remain puzzled about your problem. Because you're a very new [Vivaldi] user, it's hard to believe that your Vivaldi profile could have become corrupted already. However, as part of the process to narrow-down the cause, could you pls try launching V with a clean / virgin profile, then see if this behaviour you don't like still occurs? To do that, close V, move or rename your Default directory [typically stored as [using mine to illustrate] /home/steffie/.config/vivaldi-snapshot/Default , then relaunch V [which will then create a new clean Default].

If that makes no difference, do you think you might be able to make a little screen video showing the behaviour [eg, with vokoscreen or one of the many others]?

Btw, though i'm probably wrong, i still have to ask. I love your screen-name, because it takes me back to my childhood, reading my favourite kids' fantasy series. If i were to say "Puddleglum", would that mean anything to you?

• @marshwiggle "ОС Linux"

I have tried 3 different search engines but still been unable to discover information about this distribution. Could you pls provide a link so i can learn about this particular Linux distro?

• hello marshwiggle
    excuse me Ms Steffie. I think it is a typo. The OS = linux
    not "OC"
    unspecified linux parameters. knowing how thorough You can be I am sorry to see your time wasted by a typo. shucks.a.lot.

• @steffie Hello, steffie!

I'm sorry, i_ri is right: it's a typo, ОС = "Операционная Система" = "Operation System".

My current OS is Linux Mint 18.1:

RELEASE=18.1
    CODENAME=serena
    EDITION="Cinnamon 64-bit"
    DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 18.1 Serena"
    DESKTOP=Gnome
    TOOLKIT=GTK
    NEW_FEATURES_URL=http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_serena_cinnamon_whatsnew.php
    RELEASE_NOTES_URL=http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_serena_cinnamon.php
    USER_GUIDE_URL=help:linuxmint
    GRUB_TITLE=Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64-bit

I have a new problem, by the way. Vivaldi just won't start.

When I'm trying to start it from bash, it says: "New window created in the current browser session" (in russian: "В текущем сеансе браузера создано новое окно"), but nothing happens.

• @marshwiggle I refuse to help until you answer my Puddleglum query ;-)

Ah, a typo -- proves once again how smart @i_ri is... much cleverer than me who did not think of that possibility.

Re not starting. Two initial thoughts:

1. Pls inspect your Cinnamon's System Monitor to see if there's any residual / zombie vivaldi-bin processes still running. If yes, they can easily prevent all further attempts to launch V.
    2. Temporarily try a new clean profile. Do you know how to do that? If not, me or many others here can explain it to you. EDIT: Ha, silly me, i already explained it in my earlier reply.

• hello marshwiggle
    A hint from the non-english image introduced inkling of incomplete translation. The focus on the word typo accomplished curtail seeking of oclinux. Thank you for the operating cyctem example in explanation. The task of translating to english is well compensated in the acquisition of Miss Steffie' aid. An outcome worthy of your hard work. I am enchanted with the possibility of Miss Steffie gushing in response to your satisfying of the condition to comment on puddleglump; about the marsh-wiggle conceptions and pursuing solution to the status of Vivaldi being experienced in your posts. Miss Steffie conducts the most beautiful desktops. Have you seen Steffie' screencaptures? Wow.
    Miss Steffie has ventured into fiction with the unreal statement "i_ri is... much cleverer than me..." after an unqualified real "how smart i_ri is..."
    One case where i_ prefer the unreal. semi-blushing,, because i got it wrong. The real in that case means nothing. nothing is the center of everything. There is a one more and one less there. I don't read fiction. much.

To avoid total topic puffery is made this offer of advice in use of vivaldi browser. The ViValdi SnapShot series seem to be quite reliable. You tried Stable series. how did that work out for you? Consistent with Steffie' advice for a clean profile, in confidence of the vivaldi snapshot resilience, i suggest you delete everything vivaldi inside the machine, uncheck, deselect, disable, eliminate the stable "channel" vivaldi repository, download the latest SnapShot https://forum.vivaldi.net/category/42/snapshots (thank You lamarca), install the latest snapshot (i use gdebi. however you did it for your vivaldi on cinnamon), all fresh. Trade-off; Giving to you comfort of the latest update in place of discomfort in the most recent stable.
    My outlook of snapshot preference above stable may change, if development ever slows.
    see you in the future, marshwiggle .

• @steffie said in Strange double drop-down in the adress bar:

Btw, though i'm probably wrong, i still have to ask. I love your screen-name, because it takes me back to my childhood, reading my favourite kids' fantasy series. If i were to say "Puddleglum", would that mean anything to you?

Sure, that's my first name, Puddleglum, «an uncommonly cheerful marsh-wiggle». :)

inspect your Cinnamon's System Monitor to see if there's any residual / zombie vivaldi-bin processes still running. If yes, they can easily prevent all further attempts to launch V.

Thank you! That was the problem. Strange enough, but sometimes Vivaldi creates zombies instead of normal processes. Perhaps, it's a bug.

• @i_ri said in Strange double drop-down in the adress bar:

Miss Steffie conducts the most beautiful desktops. Have you seen Steffie' screencaptures? Wow.

What screencaptures? I'm a newbie to Vivaldy. Do you mean, @Steffie has some video tutorials the browser?

• @marshwiggle said in Strange double drop-down in the adress bar:

but sometimes Vivaldi creates zombies instead of normal processes.

Remaining processes after browser main process crashed.
    Perhaps you can disable this by disabling running background apps at chrome://settings/?search=background+apps

• hello p.marshwiggle
    glad that got effect sorted. Ahead well it may be reported the frequency of need employ this manual workaround. total crash fixed the first issue? double bar not closing issue? combined with Gwen-Dragon' background+apps setting up and running is it okay? or is it healthy enough to still test the first problem? clean profile?fresh install? work okay now upon launch?
    a nonmarsh-wiggle can be cheery with vivaldi browser.
    Does your machine yet require any vivaldi adjustments regarding double menu not closing, to get to the cheerful stage?
    welcome, to your uncommon self, marshwiggle.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.