All code ever written is really great!

• All code ever written is really great! Every piece of software I use constantly make my life simpler. Something is very, very right. The only feature of Vivaldi that I don't like is MRU tab change ordering, which is the only insane order to change tabs in. Now the MRU setting has stopped working. This is completely professional. If you had proper tests in place, these kind of improvements would not get released. The improvements have gotten so great that I am close to never wanting to miss out on any piece of software made by anyone other than myself, because I am the only person I can trust to actually test code. But the thing is I shouldn't have to. I shouldn't have to become a competent programmer and write all my own software just to be able to use software that is total crap. Please keep programming in a professional way.

• @still_dreaming_1 Let me know when you'll release your professionally written browser, I'm curious now to test it.

• @still_dreaming_1 Are you using the snapshots, if so they're going to have bugs in them.
    If it's the full release that's stopped working, that's more of a problem.
    Could you mention in detail what the problem is and how to reproduce it?
    Doing that is more likely to get it fixed than making wide sweeping complaints.
    Please stop complaining in an unprofessional way.

• Well, one thing is for sure, If you write crap code yourself, you can at least attempt to fix it up. And it's easier accepting your own mistakes.

@still_dreaming_1 Report bugs. Testers and Devs cant guess what is wrong for you with Vivaldi.
    Your are welcomed to help.

If you found a bug, please report the issue to the developers to fix it.

How to do a bugreport for Vivaldi
    Report each bug seperately at https://vivaldi.com/bugreport/
    Describe the issue as precise as you can.
    Add some information about extensions you use.
    Add information about the operating system and version you use.
    If you have problems with video or audio give us information about your installed codecs and graphics card/GPU.
    Add a exact link to the page where the issue comes up and can be tested.
    After reporting the issue, you will receive a confirmation mail from the bugtracker.
    In a reply to this mail you can add more information and files (like screenshots or testcases) as attachments and it will be added automatically to bug report.
    If you have questions about the bug please ask in forum first and do not forget to post the VB-XXXXX bug number (you can find it in confirmation mail).

Thanks in advance for helping us to make Vivaldi better!

• @ian-coog Probably the only way to test it properly is for every person who uses it to be required to be part of the CI process. The CI tests would run on every computer where the stable version is installed. A new version is not considered stable, at least not for their system, until it is both marked stable and all the tests pass on their system. Until then no automatic update to the new version happens.

• @still_dreaming_1 Have you ever run a browser test suite? I've run a small subset of the Mozilla firefox test suite a bunch of times and even that small subset of tests took a long time to run. To have every user run such tests on each device each time a new browser update is available would be an impossible requirement, especially considering some people's computers will have worse specs than the dev machines.
    And if you flipped it around and got users to submit their setups so the central CI service could do it instead, that would be even more unmanageable given there could be upwards of millions of users setups to go through.
    And even if you could somehow get the infrastructure in place for that, it would massively slow down the development process as every small change and bugfix would need a re-run of all of the tests before it could be accepted.

• @still_dreaming_1

@still_dreaming_1 said in All code ever written is total crap!:

All code ever written is absolute crap! ...

Which, as stated, would include your own written code.

I am close to never using any software ever written by anyone other than myself, because I am the only person I can trust to actually test code. ...

That seems on the paranoid side of things. Moreover, how can you be sure you've tested all the permutations and combinations of how you yourself might ever tweak or use the product?

Probably the only way to test it properly is for every person who uses it to be required to be part of the CI process. The CI tests would run on every computer where the stable version is installed. ...

How much would you be willing to pay for such software, since it should be apparent that it'll never be made available for free? And how long would you be willing to wait for new code, since it certainly would take an enormous amount of time to proof each code revision to the satisfaction of all the user-testers collectively?

All that said, I can understand your frustration when previously-working features suddenly fail. I've had it happen, and it can be just as exasperating as when a product you've used for years is suddenly no longer available while the latest version that you're still using is no longer compatible with either your OS updates or with new Internet protocols. Nevertheless, it is all part of life in the real world of software, particularly as evolving software becomes increasingly complex both in its internal nature and in terms of what it must interface with in both the hardware and external software realms.

At the end of the day, all a user can do in practicality is select the best software he can for the purpose needed, live with the limitations, and inform the designers when features or functionality fails or requires improvement - those being critical to getting problems fixed and features improved. In the case of Vivaldi, that means filing bug reports and posting feature requests, then exercising patience.

• @still_dreaming_1 said in All code ever written is total crap!:

I am the only person I can trust to actually test code.

Rather than criticise your frustration, I look forward to seeing your future forum threads on your bug reports :beers:

• This post amuses me. Comment on youtube videos often?

• Frankly i don't understand the downvotes & adverse remarks the OP received. I think it is simply hilariously well written satire.

I mean, nobody would seriously write that, would they? ;-)

• His complaint is true - and already mentioned here several times. Most Recently Used order is (was anyway, I haven't checked the update) broken in the 1.11 stable release. It was already fixed in 1.12 snapshots at the time.

Though the title is overly broad - I have no reason to believe he has ever seen any of the code I have written (years ago) to say whether or not it was crap. Though he does imply that if he has ever written any code at all, it must have been crap,

• Vivaldi Voice

Maybe not all the code ever written but surely all the latest code is rubbish. Nowadays we just have too many resources available for simple task. Someone landed on a moon using something less powerful than cheap graphing calculator ;) and now we need 8GB ram (preferably 16GB) to comfortably browse the web. Also you might want to know that somebody wrote virtual machine host which runs GNU/Linux guest VM using just JavaScript (yes, with full networking support :P ).

Once again, don't blame programmers! One could write most beautiful piece of Java (or Clojure or node.js or VisualBasic, whatever) code ever written but still one would have to run it using bloatware runtime. Surely this will run several times slower than quick and dirty code written in assembly.

Of course I'm aware that our current economy basically needs that fast paced progress to survive.

@still_dreaming_1 We are waiting for your current bug reports and solutions. Please send them to Vivaldi devs.
    May be you can increase code quality and QA process with you suggestions and help. What do you think how you can help?

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.