Problems with selecting the text on the website when using Vivaldi

• Hello everyone!

It seems to be a trivial problem but it's been pretty annoying for me. I have a problem selecting text on any website when using Vivaldi - when selecting, at some random point, Vivaldi no longer marks the text I hover. Try to imagine that your left mouse button is broken and disconnects while you're still holding it down. So you press the button, move your mouse over the text and the text gets selected and at some stage it stops (as though you let the button go).

And yes, my mouse works fine, I have no issues selecting any text in any other browser or application.

Can't find anything on the internet about it, so that makes me believe it's something related rather to my computer. Just wondering, do you have any advice?

Thank you very much!

btw. I've moved from Opera to Vivaldi after over 10 years and I really like the browser!

• Does it still happen if you restart Vivaldi?

• Yes. It's been happening pretty much as long as I can remember, regardless of number of restarts (of both browser and the computer). I'm currently running 1.10.867.38.

• @henek That is an old version. Update to the latest snapshot and see if the problem persists.

There's not much point reporting bugs with old versions. At least you should be using 1.11 Final if you don't want to risk using the latest snapshots.

Specs: AMD A10-6800K, 8 Gb on Win 10 64-bit • Snapshot 1.12.947.3 (64-bit)

• I've updated the browser a good few times over the last year but after getting 1.11 today the problem indeed stopped, let's hope this time for good.

Thanks for the hint, I was simply relying on Vivaldi advising me of a new updates so I've no idea why it hadn't suggested 1.11.

If the problem persists, I'll keep you updated, thanks a lot once again!

• @henek said in Problems with selecting the text on the website when using Vivaldi:

I've no idea why it hadn't suggested 1.11.

You were using the Release Candidate. The Snapshots and Final Releases are different development channels.

• Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense!

Unfortunately the problem still occurs. Selecting worked fine until a few hours ago. A few times I couldn't even start. The CPU usage is low, browser doesn't seem to be freezing.

It's definitely not a problem with the mouse, not even because it doesn't happen in any other application I use. When the text no longer gets selected the cursor disappears. If I keep holding the button and for example hover a link (which is not that easy when you can't see the cursor) that link changes (for example on this forum, the underline disappears) as though I was just moving my mouse without any buttons pressed. Cursor appears again when the button is released,

This gets really frustrating and what makes it worse, it appears that so far I'm the only person experiencing it.

Is there anything else I could do? It's a such a nice browser expect one or two minor details, but this problem really spoils any fun.

Once again, thanks for any help!

• @henek You might wish to try recreating your profile, then see if this misbehaviour persists with the new Default folder [aka, clean profile].

• @henek In addition to what Steffie said - here is a good instruction on how to refresh your profile including a way how to backup your data:
    https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/10388/refreshing-or-cleaning-your-profile

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.