Resolved: Importing from Vivaldi Windows

• I was using Vivaldi on my Windows 7 and now I'm using Linux Mint (Cinnamon).
    I want to import my bookmarks, passwords and settings from my Vivaldi that I used on Win 7, that I have on other drive, to this one on Linux.
    How to do that?

• @Steffie made a post describing her procedure (from Win 10) - you cannot transfer extensions/passwords, but everything else should be OK

@Steffie said in Sort Downloads by Type – Vivaldi Browser Snapshot 1.12.941.3:

@Steffie I've just done a little verification experiment for you. I fired up my intensely-disliked Win10 VM, updated its V SS to the latest, closed it, copied its Default folder. In one of my openSUSE Tumbleweed VMs [but the logic applies equally to any distro you prefer] i downloaded & installed the latest V SS [i also imported its GPG key]. Still in the TW VM i launched the virginal V [to let it create its new Default directory] then closed it. I renamed said virginal Default, then pasted in the "real" Default previously copied from the Win10 VM. Then i launched V again.

Observations:

1. ALL my same Settings, custom Web Panels, Bookmarks, Notes, Downloads, History, Tabs [including stacks, both pinned & not pinned], et al... still present & all nice.
    2. Extensions & Passwords... missing as expected.

Depending on your distro you might have to make V your default browser, via your distro's System Settings. You'd also need to setup Widevine etc for Netflix, but with the available scripts that's a doddle too.

Go for it!!

• That is kinda OK, but don't really have any expirience working with VM
    passwords are missing tho

@makspejn Passwords are not transfearable between different OS, Different encryption keys and keystore.

But you can export under Windows passwords as CSV file.

1. Open Vivaldi on Windows
    2. Enable chrome://flags/#password-import-export. Restart Vivaldi.
    3. Visit vivaldi://chrome/settings/passwords. Export/Import to/from CSV.
    4. Disable chrome://flags/#password-import-export
    5. On Linux start Vivaldi
    6. Enable chrome://flags/#password-import-export. Restart Vivaldi.
    7. Visit vivaldi://chrome/settings/passwords. Import CSV file
    8. Disable chrome://flags/#password-import-export

In future Vivaldi versions there will be a Sync (all encrypted) of all settings and password locally or on own server or on Vivaldi server.

• @Gwen-Dragon Thank you very much

• @makspejn said in Importing from Vivaldi Windows:

That is kinda OK, but don't really have any expirience working with VM

No need to use a VM (that is just how @Steffie has her PC set up for multiple OS) read the post as:

• Copied the Vivaldi Default folder from Windows
    • Installed Vivaldi on Linux and launched it
    • Renamed the Linux Vivaldi Default folder (to keep it as a backup)
    • Copied Windows Default folder to Linux Vivaldi Default folder location

• @TbGbe Yes [onya!].

However additionally, @makspejn, once you have V working in Linux after the steps above, you'll still need to manually reinstall your Extensions [it should transpire though that each Extension's configuration should still be present, thus active, as soon as it "sees" that its Extension is once more available]. You'll also need to take care of your passwords.

• Thank you all very much ! Got it working :)
    I don't have extensions :v
    I guess you could lock this thread now

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.