Brave Feature Suggestions

• I just download the latest Brave for desktop. I use Brave on my mobile device for some time now as there is no Vivaldi mobile but Brave for desktop, the last time I tested it was nothing but Chrome with a build in ad blocker.

To my surprise, it looks different now and I can say that I don’t dislike some of the things it has. No, I will not replace Vivaldi, I love Vivaldi and Brave is very buggy, but I think there is some good stuff Vivaldi should take a note.

Taking away the issue that Im not sure how I feel about a build in ad blocker with a browser by default (users should install one if they want) these are the things that I like:

Tabs below the address bar. This looks very good and I think it's very user-friendly. Having the address like they do in Brave makes it very visible and helpful to use. Personally I would use bigger fonts but the way they place it makes it user friendly and it can even improve security against phishing as its more visible. You can also increase the size of text and GUI which is nice.

Vivaldi does not allow to put tabs below the bar. Even if you had this setting available, it would not really be similar to how it's on Brave. If you move the whole url or tabs section on Vivaldi (like to the bottom), it moves everything including the extensions and search field. My idea is to only have the URL address bar at the top and nothing else (like Brave). Then tabs below that and next to the tabs, the search field and extensions. That way the URL is really focused and that should be substantial. I think the URL should be as lonely as possible in the GUI to make it more clear and visible because users don't read, they scan things. The less mental stress you put on the user the better. If you have other things with text next to it, it makes it less readable, and the URL/Domain should be the most important with more attention of a browser today with all the phishing that is going on. Not a surprise that most hacks are done with phishing emails to mobile users as mobile browser even hide the URL today and it tiny, terrible design in most browsers when it comes to security.

The other thing I like about Brave is how it displays the seconds it took for every page to finish loading. While Vivaldi has similar loading status, they don’t really work well and I would prefer to have the time saved on the url bar once the page was loaded, nice touch from Brave. The status on Vivaldi only lets you see it while loading, but not when finished.

Preview tabs with mouse hover. This is new and I didn’t saw it before with other browsers. While it's very glitchy for me and the tabs flickers the idea is really good. I was just thinking how many times I click on tabs just to go back to the same one. In most cases I only do this because I need to check the status or change in another website, so do I really need to click it and switch tabs? No. The mouse hovering preview that Brave has is a wonderful feature. This would be very useful for people that have status pages and other things that change and need to just quickly take a peek without actually changing the active tab.

Dragging and moving tabs around is way better. I hate this on Vivaldi. Dragging and moving tabs between monitors is so slow, laggy and tends to fail that I just prefer to keep another browser open for this or Vivaldi always open on all monitors. While with Brave it's not as snappy as with Opera or Chrome, but its miles better than Vivaldi. I seriously don’t like how it works with Vivaldi. It takes like 4 seconds for the new tab to appear.

To resume, there are some things that I like about Brave. I think a lot of other users asked for tabs below the bar before, so this is actually a popular request and there is a hack around. If there was a choice to do this I would probably use it. If Vivaldi can decouple the search bar and extensions as well to move it another place of your preference, that would really make it more like the old Opera where you could move and put individual things in the correct locations.

• @terere said in Brave Feature Suggestions:

Preview tabs with mouse hover. This is new and I didn’t saw it before with other browsers.

Vivaldi already does this since a long time. Tab options, show popup thumbnails.

• @iAN-CooG said in Brave Feature Suggestions:

@terere said in Brave Feature Suggestions:

Preview tabs with mouse hover. This is new and I didn’t saw it before with other browsers.

Vivaldi already does this since a long time. Tab options, show popup thumbnails.

Nope. That is not the same. I was not talking about the small preview thumbnail which Edge also has. On Brave, your whole screen previews the tab. The thumbnail is too small to actually be useful to read things on a site, its just for quick identification so I actually turned it off as it was annoying. On Brave it temporary displays the whole page as if you clicked on that tab, when you take the cursor away you are back to the active tab, all without clicking or actually switching tabs.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.