Starting Vivaldi with private window?

• Hi,

is it possible to start Civaldi with a private window?
    I can't find such an option in the "start settings"

Thanks
    webaschtl

• I don't know if there's an option to do this, but you can use a flag to do it easily enough. On wherever your shortcut to vivaldi is (on windows anyway), right-click it and select properties. Then go to shortcut and add the phrase

--incognito

to the end of what is in the target box. Then, any time vivaldi i started from this particular shortcut it will start in incognito mode.

0_1503338151000_Clipboard08.jpg

If the shortcut you're using is on the task bar you may need to press shift while right-clicking it to get the properties option.

• @LonM Thanks for your answer and this tip!

But if there is such an option for OSX, too?

• @webaschtl The launch flags should work for OSX as well, as that's unix based, and the flags are from chrome which is supported on all platforms.
    You'll be able to launch it that way from an OSX terminal, unfortunately I'm not a user of OSX so I don't know how to create custom shortcuts.

• This is doable.
    Copy this command

#!/bin/bash
    open /Applications/Vivaldi.app --args --incognito

into a text-editor and save the file as (eg) vivaldi-private.command.
    Open a terminal, change the directory to wherever you have saved that file and make it executable -- chmod +x vivaldi-private.command
    Now you can just double click that file and Vivaldi will start with private window. The only difference to the windows version is that osx will start up the terminal to execute the command. So you might as well put the file into usr/local/bin and start up vivaldi by just typing vivaldi-private into the command line (remove the ".command" filename extension in that scenario).

• I found another solution which mimics the Windows way exactly. I simply created an application with the shell script containing the command to start Vivaldi in private mode. To start up you only need to double-click the new file after downloading it. The advantage to the other solution is that no Terminal window will open.

Vivaldi-Private.app

This will only work if your original/real Vivaldi.app is in your /Applications folder. If this is not the case you have to edit the shell script within the start-up application (right-click and "show package contents") -- Contents/MacOS/Vivaldi-Private. The current code used is the same as the one in the last post.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.