Vivaldi browser is awesome

• Hi, im new here.

I use both Linux and Windows.
    Yesterday, I took the liberty to compare 5 different web browsers in two metrics, memory-consumption and web page speed load.

On both metrics, vivaldi browser won, and in memory consumption, by far. Im not sure how you guys did it but this browser is a keeper for me.

Just wanted to share these thoughts,
    JV

• @JeansenVaars Vivaldi is the number 1 in memory consumption?
    Uhh... yay?

• @luetage Vivaldi is actually getting pretty decent in terms of memory consumption. Since 1.11 I've found that it's been getting pretty good, particularly under Windows and Linux. Here is my V task manager I took a picture of just now:

0_1503335154175_Screenshot (15).png

Now, it doesn't look like I have that many tabs open, but many of them are just hibernated, so I can have many tabs with only some taking up any resources at a time. I'd say that's pretty good!

• Vivaldi's top priorities aren't speed or resource management, it's simply not the browser to choose if you are looking for pure performance. And I don't think anyone here is expecting that.

• @luetage I don't expect it either. But through either V's work, or Chromium's progress, or both, Vivaldi has been taking less resources in recent versions, and that only helps performance.

@D0J0P It should get even better with some work the developers have in progress. Don't know how soon it will be unveiled, as it's not even ready for testing backstage, but I'm expecting it to bring a noticeable improvement.

• @Ayespy That sounds exciting! Not sure you're allowed to say more, so I can't even begin to guess what it is, but it sounds like some kind of big release, as opposed to the usual quiet improvements they normally have that aren't mentioned as VB's or anything.

• @Ayespy Ahem! ;-)

• @luetage said in Vivaldi browser is awesome:

Vivaldi's top priorities aren't speed or resource management, it's simply not the browser to choose if you are looking for pure performance. And I don't think anyone here is expecting that.

What are Vivaldi's top priorities then?

Do you imply they're just lucky to get a browser that uses half memory than Google Chrome and faster than Firefox?

Compatibility is great because you can use chrome extensions, and it is highly configurable

What else?

JV

• Old Opera user here. Went to Firefox after it took them very long to implement Lastpass. Now, I'm back! Reminds me about the good old days.

Great job, Vivaldi!

@JeansenVaars The top priorities for Vivaldi Browser are capability, flexibility, and configurability. Its primary thrust is to be the browser that a user can mold to the user's liking as to appearance, work flow, functions and features - to be able to be mouse-centric for mouse fiends, keyboard-centric keyboard fiends, to have more than one way to input any command or perform any function, to show colors and ultimately shapes that any given user finds pleasing, have the tabs, panels, bars, buttons anywhere or nowhere, etc., etc. etc.

In a way, it's almost like, "You can add an extension to do that? Let's see if we can do it without needing an extension."

Then, too, Jon has made it clear that he wants the browser to be fast and efficient. This is not PRIMARY, but it runs a close second. There is always attention on how to get the browser to load more quickly, display pages more quickly, shut down faster, use fewer resources, etc.

But in a contest between being feature-rich or fast, the emphasis will always be on including the features, and then seeing if it can be made to perform better without sacrificing any features.

• @Ayespy said in Vivaldi browser is awesome:

@JeansenVaars The top priorities for Vivaldi Browser are capability, flexibility, and configurability. Its primary thrust is to be the browser that a user can mold to the user's liking as to appearance, work flow, functions and features - to be able to be mouse-centric for mouse fiends, keyboard-centric keyboard fiends, to have more than one way to input any command or perform any function, to show colors and ultimately shapes that any given user finds pleasing, have the tabs, panels, bars, buttons anywhere or nowhere, etc., etc. etc.

In a way, it's almost like, "You can add an extension to do that? Let's see if we can do it without needing an extension."

Fair enough, and thanks for taking the time to explain. I just find surprising how such high featured browser can achieve lower memory consumption than competitors.

• @JeansenVaars I'm amused. It's lovely to read your apparent enthusiasm for V, but rather a surprise to read someone actually praising V's speed &/or RAM efficiency. You won't have to spend more than 15' in these fora before you'll encounter various frustrated, sometimes even inexplicably angry & rude, posts by some newbies venting their spleen about how V takes 17 weeks to load their fav site, & uses so much RAM that all the neighbours' lights went out. Your praise is in contrast quite refreshing. For mine, V is hands-down THE best browser around, for all the reasons eloquently espoused by Ayespy.

@JeansenVaars Well, for one thing, every extension takes more memory and more CPU cycles. So the more you can build in, and do without extensions, the lees memory you will use.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.