Vivaldi for Android - Can't wait

• First of all, I've noticed a visual refresh to the Forums. Great job.

Second of all, I absolutely can't wait for Vivaldi for Android. I've used Vivaldi on the PC in the past, but ultimately gave way for Firefox.

I've been waiting for the Mail client to release in the browser (please tell me if it has released already, I really don't know.)

Anyway, I can't wait for the Android release. I have an ASUS Chromebook Flip and running Android apps are an absolute breeze on this thing.

I already use Firefox and it works well. Will you guys use Google's Chrome OS emulator to test Android apps so Vivaldi is optimized for Chromebooks too?

• Well, that's what we're all waiting on. No end to the wait in sight. Give it another year.

• If it ever happens, I wonder if it will use more of a native android UI, or if the devs will try and do the whole html-based ui on android as well.

• @LonM That's an interesting question, because Vivaldi doesn't need platform compatibility on mobile. iOS has locked out competing browser engines, and windows mobile isn't only dead, but has locked out competition too. So what would be the incentive to do it with web technologies? Don't think they can reuse too much code from the desktop UI.

• @luetage Right now i'm imagining that an android vivaldi will (at least to begin with) be just chrome with vivaldi sync added in, and maybe some sort of notes functionality. I wouldn't see much point in building a vivaldi app until sync is ready anyway.

• @LonM Yep, sync will surely come before an android release. There are a ton of notes apps out there, but since Vivaldi desktop has notes built in, it would make sense to push these to mobile too. I wonder what the individual/customization approach of viv mobile should look like. Possibility to install extensions, Mail built in ^^ ? Hard to tell.

• @luetage said in Vivaldi for Android - Can't wait:

Give it another year.

A full year? What's your personal estimate, maybe summer 2018? Fall?

but since Vivaldi desktop has notes built in, it would make sense to push these to mobile too. I wonder what the individual/customization approach of viv mobile should look like. Possibility to install extensions, Mail built in ^^ ? Hard to tell.

I don't think that that mail won't be built-in with Vivaldi Android, but would probably be a separate mail client on Android. That would be great, as I don't think there are many great mail clients on Android right now.

I would imagine notes to be built-in with Vivaldi Android, but you're right, it would make sense to build it in.

I'm really looking forward to Vivaldi on Android myself. I'm tired of hopping between different Android browsers, as many of them are just mediocre. I was using Brave for a long time, but when that became a little sluggish, I went to Opera, but now Opera doesn't even load a bunch of tabs(I'm using Opera Beta). Half the time I'll open Opera, go to another tab, and it'll freeze. So a great Android browser is very much needed!

• @D0J0P I cannot realistically estimate it, but with the general speed of development I would be very surprised if the full package (sync,mail,android) comes out before 2018. I think we can consider ourselves still lucky if it happens before 2019. Let's hope I'm wrong.

And imo Opera is a fine android browser, they just completely botched up the adblocker thing. They let through certain advertisers (google adsense etc.) and therefore it's completely useless. I still had to root my phone to use Adaway instead.

• @luetage I know sync will probably be the first to come. I'm still hoping it'll come out by the end of this year, but that could be wrong. Mail will be pretty long, and if we're lucky, could come out next year. Same with Android. I hope mail and Android will be out by the last quarter of next year.

• I am using Opera Beta on android from several years but the team does not listen to users anymore. I think everyone in Opera is aged 50+. Some sites make Opera a memory hog. Just 3 tabs and its using 606Mb memory. Ridiculous.

Vivaldi is cool on Windows but its still my secondary browser. The lack of features like a keyboard shortcut to invert colors (and remembering which pages to invert). Lag in loading some sites keep it behind Chrome. Can't wait for Vivaldi Android and new improved updates for Windows.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.