Reader Mode's Conditions

• I want to know Reader Mode's conditions. What kind of website this feature work? What kind of website doesn't this feature work?

And Why the website that Reader Mode doesn't work exist? I think it is better that this feature work in all websites.

• It's meant for blogs articles and stories mostly, and that's the sites reader mode should work on. It doesn't make much sense for other content. Why would you need reader mode on imgur for instance?

• @luetage I have exactly the same question as the original poster's. The problem is that there are news or blog sites that don't show the Reader Mode (RM) button. I don't have examples at hand, but I certainly remember wanting to use the RM and finding it unavailable.

I guess the actual problem is that the RM cannot be used for some sites for technical reasons, not because Vivaldi makes it unavailable for sites for which it thinks the RM doesn't make sense.

In the ideal world, the RM would be always available and whether it makes sense or not would be determined by the user.

• @ryofurue Reader mode needs improvements, but I don't see it being available on any site happening. The best option is to run a readability bookmarklet, or some extension beside it for the time being.

• @luetage I've just happened to come across a page for which the Reader Mode (RM) isn't available:

http://www.forkosh.com/latex/ltx-115.html

I post this just as an example. I'm not arguing that the RM is crucially important for this particular page. Because it's short, it's fine without it.

There must be some technical issues that make the above page unamenable to the RM, because there are far-more complicated (to my eye) pages for which the RM is available (like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX).

• @ryofurue You are right, there are issues. But I'm not sure if this page is the best example. I have reason to believe it's simply too short. If you check following page, reader mode works:
    http://www.forkosh.com/latex/versions.html
    It's short too, but it probably reaches critical mass so to speak.

• @ryofurue said in Reader Mode's Conditions:

@luetage I have exactly the same question as the original poster's. The problem is that there are news or blog sites that don't show the Reader Mode (RM) button. I don't have examples at hand, but I certainly remember wanting to use the RM and finding it unavailable.

I guess the actual problem is that the RM cannot be used for some sites for technical reasons, not because Vivaldi makes it unavailable for sites for which it thinks the RM doesn't make sense.

In the ideal world, the RM would be always available and whether it makes sense or not would be determined by the user.

@ryofurue
    I agree your opinion!

@luetage @ryofurue
    And I asked the question about Reader Mode's conditions in Japanese Forum. Vivaldi's staff @Takaaki said "Vivaldi check page contents and give a score for Reader Mode. If the score reached standard, Reader Mode work. But if not reached, Reader Mode doesn't work."

• @kyu3a said in Reader Mode's Conditions:

"Vivaldi check page contents and give a score for Reader Mode. If the score reached standard, Reader Mode work. But if not reached, Reader Mode doesn't work."

Thank you for the useful information! I read the Japanese posting. It says that currently the threshold of length is 140 characters of what Vivaldi thinks is the "content". I don't know if this "140 characters" means 140 ascii characters. (Perhaps that would be too short.)

The Japanese posting also says that the developers acknowledge that there are cases the Reader Mode (RM) isn't currently available for pages where it makes sense and so they may tune the Reader Mode activation criteria in the future.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.