Can I manually restore ression?

• I wonder if Vivaldi has an ability to restore the browsing session on demand after I start it. This feature is in Firefox (History > Restore Previous Session) and I like it a lot but I can't see its eqivalent in Vivaldi.

I have my browser set up to start with homepage and the homepage is simply about:blank. And I want it that way, I don't like the browser to start with all the pages I left previously open, I want a clean start most of the time. But sometimes I want to restore the previous session after I start up Vivaldi and I'd like to be able to do this on demand - is there a way?

@lemonjuice Yes, but first you have to save the old session. Then you can open it any time you would like, including several cycles after you saved it.

• Previous tabs are usually in the trashcan, as soon as you start Vivaldi you should find the latest ones there - and last autosaved session it's called "Window with x Tabs" - but if you work with a lot of new tabs then its content is naturally replaced with the latest ones while you close new ones.
    The option to manually save the session is the most secure one if you need to be sure at any moment to resume that session exactly.
    You can assign an hotkey in keyboard settings to easily access to save/restore sessions menus.

@iAN-CooG Not if the user has "start with homepage" set, I'm pretty sure.

• @Ayespy said in Can I manually restore ression?:

@lemonjuice Yes, but first you have to save the old session. Then you can open it any time you would like, including several cycles after you saved it.

The thing is I don't want to save the old session because when I close the browser I don't know if I will need to restore the session. I will know it only when I open the browser some time later on.

@iAN-CooG said in Can I manually restore ression?:

Previous tabs are usually in the trashcan, as soon as you start Vivaldi you should find the latest ones there - and last autosaved session it's called "Window with x Tabs" - but if you work with a lot of new tabs then its content is naturally replaced with the latest ones while you close new ones.

@iAN-CooG, thanks, this is what I needed and it works - it's not 100% replacement for restoring the session because it will not restore all windows as they were but at least I can restore all the tabs in a window and in most cases this will be enough. I didn't really pay much attention to the small trash can icon and I didn't know what it was for - but now I can see how I can use it and it's very convenient!

• @lemonjuice It's not the ideal arrangement, but until V's native session management gains more sophisticated control options, you might consider installing the Session Buddy extension.

• @Steffie said in Can I manually restore ression?:

@lemonjuice It's not the ideal arrangement, but until V's native session management gains more sophisticated control options, you might consider installing the Session Buddy extension.

Session Buddy is an option, but there is a big tradeoff unfortunately. Since Chromium extensions aren't allowed to have access to a tab's history (back and forward), you completely lose that when you save a session with Session Buddy and close out a window. With Vivaldi's built-in session manager, however, that data is preserved and available upon session restore.

As you said, it's just not an ideal arrangement unfortunately. (I don't see the point of a session manager without tab history.) I wish the Vivaldi developers would look at Firefox's Session Manager extension and copy it 100%. It is the best! Being able to see the contents of a session without having to restore it is a function we need.

• @Ayespy The setting doesn't matter, your last window from the previous session can always be found in the trash. You are only out of luck if you close your browser 2 times without restoring anything in between.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.