My Opera to Vivaldi data migration

• Vivaldi Team

Hi everyone, We have How Tos, Tips topic thread going on but since data migration from My Opera is a time sensitive matter, I am creating a separate topic here. Information about how to import your My Opera blogs, Photos, Mail data can be found here. 1. [url=https://vivaldi.net/blogs/entry/how-to-move-your-email-from-my-opera-to-vivaldi-mail]Importing your My Opera Mail to Vivaldi Mail[/url] 2. [url=https://vivaldi.net/blogs/entry/how-to-migrate-your-my-opera-blog-to-vivaldi]Importing your My Opera blog to Vivaldi Blog[/url] 3. [url=https://vivaldi.net/blogs/entry/migrating-images-to-vivaldi-net]Importing your My Opera photos to Vivaldi photo album[/url] Please share your experiences if you find any issues or some workarounds.

• THANK YOU THANK YOU I was looking for this thank you

• Here is the translated blog post in Turkish / Türkçe.
    Türkçe çevirisini buradan okuyabilirsiniz.
    1- https://vivaldi.net/blogs/entry/my-opera-blogu-vivaldi-ye-nasil-aktarabilirim
    2- https://vivaldi.net/blogs/entry/vivaldi-mail-ayarlari

• Vivaldi Team

Great! Thanks for the Turkish translation.

• Attention:

If your blog contains images etc, all of those images will still be linked to the original place, which was in my case files.myopera.com/QuHno/some/foo

Check your blog posts and make sure you uploaded all of those images to vivaldi.net and change the links to the corresponding vivaldi address if you want to see them after March 1, 2014 …

It would have been nice if the importer would have grabbed the images and linked them from here. Going through all of the blog post and changing them manually is quite tedious, especially because the dashboard only shows a few blog posts at a time and if you e.g. delete one it goes to the first page of the blog listing instead of keeping the offset.

• How to Migrate OTHER External Mailboxes to Vivaldi :

This may be obvious to SOME users, but not to others.

If you wish to import mailboxes / folders / messages from OTHER services such as Yahoo, HotMail, or GMail, the same procedure linked above for OPERA Mail will work too.

You only have to substitute the appropriate server settings and account credentials of the other provider for those of OPERA.

I have successfully done this for Yahoo and HotMail, using Thunderbird 17x in Windows XP, and it works like a charm, as I have posted in more detail in another thread.

The only issue might be that Thunderbird may need you to MANUALLY enter all of the server info, rather than asking it to auto-detect.

Cheers !

• Attention #2:
    If you had any private posts on my.opera.com after migrating data they will be publicly visible on vivaldi.net

Still it's great that we can migrate our data now.
    +1 for images auto-upload request (WP does that btw).

• Just wanted to say thank you for making it so easy to transition from MyOpera mail to Vivaldi. Very painless. Didn't even realize it would be discontinued until I just sort of happened upon the information yesterday. I never really did anything else at MyOpera except use the mail, so I have nothing else to perform. Vivaldi looks like an interesting place, though. Looking forward to learning what one can do here.

• Vivaldi Team

Great that you found it easy to move over here. I hope you will be more active here than you was at MyOpera outside of using email. This is becoming an exciting place to hang out, and it is getting better all the time. Enjoy! :)

• Thanks so much, Christian! From what I've seen so far, I think I just may hang out here a bit! :) Also, I like Iceland. Well, I really know nothing about it, except three things….I know someone from there and she is an awesome person, I saw a choir once perform live and they were really wonderful, (and from Iceland), and lastly, I know of a CrossFit games champion who lives in Iceland! I can use a place to upload photos, as well. Again, thank you for the welcome! Hope to have a good look around during the next week.

• I had videos imbedded in (some of) my posts, but they are not showing up. I tried the "edit" window, but the imbed code wasn't there either.

Also, where do you put your blog files? They had this under the "files" tab in MyOpera, and these files were separated from your images so they would not show up as photo albums. Any more info I can get on this?

• Cheers Vivaldi Team,

As I already mentioned in the migration blog: The migration works awesome, even better as at wordpress.com. Much more complete!
    This is also good because I never really wanted to go to wordpress.com. I can not really describe it. I'm not really a blogger - for me the blog at MyOpera was always more of a complement to the community - a kind of advanced bulletin board. So without community I also don´t need a blog. That is the handicap of wordpress for me. For "real" blogger, it may be wonderful there, but not for people like me.

Thank you very, very much @Vivaldi Team! [attachment=107]verneigung.gif[/attachment]

Semper fi
    Ice B)
    Attachments:

• Vivaldi Team

Thank you, Ice for the compliment!
    Very happy to hear :)

• just tried migrating from oper to vivaldi,
    i used vivaldi mail account sent attach file for blog in xml one hour ago,now in blog section still blank,
    what happened??
    should i add any key words in subject when email to [email protected]

??

• Vivaldi Team

@kampotsoil:

just tried migrating from oper to vivaldi,
    i used vivaldi mail account sent attach file for blog in xml one hour ago,now in blog section still blank,
    what happened??
    should i add any key words in subject when email to [email protected]

??

It takes some time. Please wait for a little. Should be done before end of the week usually.

• My myopera email is in many folders, and I'm really not getting how to move it from Norway to Iceland. I'm using the–no excuses--Opera 9.62 email client/XP,IMAP-configured, The only place on my screen where myopera email and vivaldi email appear together is a mail panel, I can see all my vivaldi folders, but only the myopera inbox. Yout migration directions (THANK YOU, THANK YOU!) advise dragging files from myopera to vivaldi. Please, could you explain that a bit? Dragging (as in a windows panel) is not working in the mail panel. Again, so grateful to find the Register interview and its news and migration instructions here. It's a very generous thing you and Jon are doing here.

• PLEASE … am I asking wrong place? wrong question? Losing my myopera email archive would break my heart, and I just don't fully understand the whole IMAP process. Time is so short. Help ... I'm begging.

• Vivaldi Team

Sorry, offgrid for missing your previous post.
    I will do my best to assist you.

I'm not running Opera 9.62 on my machine so I am not entirely sure if dragging works in Opera 9.x

Anyway, from the following text, I got an impression that you are trying to drag My Opera IMAP folders to Vivaldi account within your Mail panel? If so, that probably doesn't work.

The only place on my screen where myopera email and vivaldi email appear together is a mail panel

Basically, what you do is to first select IMAP folder where your emails are stored. Then, you go to the List view which is right of the Mail panel and select all the messages you want to move from the list view. Then, drag them over to the INBOX (or whatever folder you choose to use).
    Opera should start copying the selected messages to the designated folder. (It should say in the progress bar at the bottom)

I can try to take a screenshot if the above explanation is not easy to follow. (I have notifications all over my screen right now that i cannot get rid of without rebooting my machine so not best time to take screenshot.)

Let me know how it goes.

• Hi, Tatsuki! What a relief to hear from you. To cut to the chase:

I'm with you up to "drag them over to the INBOX (or whatever folder you choose to use)." Am I correct in understanding that to mean Drag the selected files listed on the browser main screen to the (Vivaldi) INBOX in the browser mail panel?

When I first tried that I got this error msg: "Message body not downloaded: The requested operation could not be completed because one or more of the selected messages did not have a locally downloaded body. Opera will now try to download the missing message bodies." The Vivaldi INBOX stays empty, the myopera INBOX continues to hold 37 messages. But what really worries me is the 1012 archived messages I need to migrate. Actually, I'm in despair.

In case it's not clear, I've never used the opera email client before–I'm looking at the menu options for the first time. Discovering the IMAP Folders option helped. ;)

Whatever, thank you for being there. Tatsuki.

• Vivaldi Team

@offgrid:

Hi, Tatsuki! What a relief to hear from you. To cut to the chase:

I'm with you up to "drag them over to the INBOX (or whatever folder you choose to use)." Am I correct in understanding that to mean Drag the selected files listed on the browser main screen to the (Vivaldi) INBOX in the browser mail panel?

Yes, that's correct.

When I first tried that I got this error msg: "Message body not downloaded: The requested operation could not be completed because one or more of the selected messages did not have a locally downloaded body. Opera will now try to download the missing message bodies." The Vivaldi INBOX stays empty, the myopera INBOX continues to hold 37 messages. But what really worries me is the 1012 archived messages I need to migrate. Actually, I'm in despair.

OK. I remember I got the same message as well. It should as it says to download the message bodies and copy the emails over which is what happened to me.

Can you try again maybe with fewer messages to see what happens? just one or two message is fine for testing.

If it still fails to automatically download the message body before copying.
    Here is what I suggest. (I am using terms used in Opera 12.x so the exact terms might be a bit different in Opera 9.x)

• Click on Mail accounts… from the main menu (I think it's Mail and chat accounts.. in Opera 9)
    • Double click My Opera account from the list which bring up an Account properties dialog
    • Select Incoming and try to find either checkbox or drop down menu which give you an option to "Make all messages available offline" Maybe it may be under Availability of messages when offline or something like that.

In case it's not clear, I've never used the opera email client before–I'm looking at the menu options for the first time. Discovering the IMAP Folders option helped. ;)

Whatever, thank you for being there. Tatsuki.

You are welcome :) Let me know how it goes. Hope it works.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.