[Resolved] Vivaldi takes ~30 s to open

• Hi everyone,

I have been using Vivaldi for a few months now. I really appreciate its integrated mouse gestures and customizable key shortcuts.

Sadly, it takes nowadays like ~30 s for opening Vivaldi. I tried to compare with Google Chrome, which takes ~1 s to open.

I tried to clear the download history, and the history itself, but nothing changes. I also tried to disable Avast.

My computer :

Windows 10 (64 bits)
    Vivaldi 1.11.917.22 (32 bits)
    Intel Core(TM) m3-6Y30 CPU @ 0.90 Ghz 1.51 GHz
    4 GB RAM
    128 GB SSD

My addons for Vivaldi :

uBlock Origin
    Tampermonkey
    Dashlane
    Stylish
    Midnight Lizard

Thanks to the dev team for this great browser, and thank you for your help!

Edit : Resolved. Uninstalling Avast! improved opening speed a lot.

• @Max160 Disabling Avast! will not help unfortunately. Users with problems have had to uninstall it (one moved to Avira). A "disabled" AV is actually not disabled at all. It still does all background tasks - like scanning every "suspicious" file you try to open.

Clearing the downloads list can help. So can limiting the storage length for History.

You do have a pretty slow CPU and barely-enough RAM, but all things being optimum, it should open for you in no more than 7-15 seconds. My worst, slowest, single core system requires 15-19 seconds on first cold boot, (this on a system that takes 7 sec for Chrome and 9 sec for firefox) and then five seconds for every subsequent one during a computer session.

Work is being done on streamlining some code, reducing the load and increasing the speed of the browser as we speak - but 30 sec is too long for ANY system that is sufficiently modern to actually run the browser.

• @Ayespy Thank you very much for your answer. It helps a lot to figure out that something is going wrong, even if the CPU of my ultrabook is pretty slow.

I noticed that Vivaldi began to start a lot slower when I did this :

I did put custom thumbnails for speed dial, using directly the urls of the related pictures on the internet, instead of downloading the pictures on my computer first. When I restarted Vivaldi, it took a lot of time, and many thumbnails actually disappeared. Restarting Vivaldi again made all the thumbnails disappear. So i decided to auto-generate the thumbnails instead. Sadly, it looks like Vivaldi decided to stay that slow.

Maybe I should basically try to reinstall Vivaldi...

• @Max160 Reinstall is essentially guaranteed to have no beneficial effect. It won't change anything. Rather, refresh your profile and see if that helps.

• @Ayespy Thanks for the tip! I did that refresh, and I now have about 15 seconds to launch, with a brand new Default folder. I did put my Default folder back, and I get my 30 seconds back.

15 seconds with clean Default folder seems still too long, compared with chrome, which takes 5 seconds to launch on my computer.

Maybe Avast! ? ...

• @Max160 Quite possibly.

• @Max160
    You could try to uninstall avast for testing purpose to see if this shows any kind of difference in the starting behaviour of Vivaldi. But please make sure that you'll backup all your blacklist/whitelist/whatever exceptions you made in avast first so you don't loose them with the uninstall.

• @zaibon @Ayespy Congrats! It looks like Avast! was indeed the main problem.

I unistalled Avast!, using Avast Uninstall Utility, and it did change the overall speed of my computer (way faster now). Vivaldi, with several tabs + extensions + all the history data is now starting in ~8 sec.

I am having a look at Avira, to see if it could be a better solution for my computer.

Thank you very much for your help!

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.