Portable Vivaldi

• It may be a bit early to suggest this but a portable Vivaldi would be great.

• I agree, a vivaldi for ios and android would be a great idea.

@wamfire20:

I agree, a vivaldi for ios and android would be a great idea.

In time…

• Portable is not the same as mobile … portable refers to installing it on removable storage and being able to use it on other machines - even if the operating system assigns it a different drive address. So yes, Vivaldi for Android/iOS would be nice too, but it is not related.

• Vivaldi Translator

and to be honest what's the difference between "portable" and "standalone"? AFAIK it's the same so it's already here. You can install Vivaldi as a portable program by choosing "standalone installation" when installing. (though, chromium will not allow you to use saved password on different machines if Vivaldi had not changed it and I would bet on they hadn't.)

• Portable must use either relative paths or path variables in its settings, so that if his removable drive gets assigned as drive D: on one machine and E: on a different machine (because the second machine has an optical drive, for example) then it'll still work correctly.

• As an fyi Opera has a portable (i.e., install on a usb drive, etc…) version available -> http://www.opera-usb.com/operausben.htm

@mjs.vivaldi:

As an fyi Opera has a portable (i.e., install on a usb drive, etc…) version available -> http://www.opera-usb.com/operausben.htm

The OP wants a portable VIVALDI install. Why reference another browser?

• @Ayespy:

@mjs.vivaldi:

As an fyi Opera has a portable (i.e., install on a usb drive, etc…) version available -> http://www.opera-usb.com/operausben.htm

The OP wants a portable VIVALDI install. Why reference another browser?

Presumably to point out that the other Chromium clone has shown it is possible. :evil:

• You mean there's only one other Chromium clone? :p

• Decided to use Vivaldi as a portable browser at work so I can take my bookmarks etc. to whichever PC I'm on (currently I'm not in my normal office). My observations:

• The drive letter the USB stick is in can easily be changed by editing "stp.viv" in the "Application" directory
    • But after a bit of browsing things slow down to a snail pace - USB stick constantly being accessed for caching etc.

My solution: remove or rename "stp.viv" file and Vivaldi will use the normal Windows user profile. Then that data can be copied to/from the profile on the USB stick and each new machine I plug in to…

I guess this works, so long as any machine you use it in is YOUR machine - or you delete the profile after use…

• They aren't my machines (which is why I tried Vivaldi as a solution)… but now I just make sure I copy the data to the USB stick before deleting it from the user's profile. :)

• Hi

I'm not sure if these is the right thread, or i didn't understand something.

My point is:
    Portable install isn't really portable.

When you install per example to C:\Temp\Vivaldi

Start Vivaldi, do your customization, browse around, and close Vivaldi.

Move the hole directory to for exp. C:\Temp\Temp2\Vivaldi.
    Start Vivaldi, all your settings are gone respectively pointing somewhere else.

In Opera, Portable is really portable.

Cheers
    related69

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.