Extra 'Other Bookmarks' folder

• Hello, I'm a new user, have imported bookmarks from Chrome. There's an extra 'Other Bookmarks' folder which can't be removed or moved and does not appear in the bookmarks manager. Can someone tell me what this is about and how to get rid of it?

• Undeletable!? Strange.
    After Import from Chrome 51 i get 2 folders, one with bookmarks from Bookmarks bar and one from Other Bookmarks.
    And i can delete the folder, i tried with Del key.

Which version of Vivaldi and Windows do you use?

• Thanks for your reply.
    I am using Vivaldi 1.10.867.48 on Windows 10.
    In various bookmark extensions there is no delete option as there is with all other folders, and it can't be deleted in the bookmarks manager, because it doesn't show up there.
    So I have two 'Other Bookmarks' folders. The imported one behaves normally and this other one doesn't.
    I have deleted all bookmarks and imported again, I have even re-installed Vivaldi, but the issue persists.

EDIT: I have moved the bookmarks from within the imported Other Bookmarks into the the "odd" Other Bookmarks and deleted the "normal" one. So the only question is why it does not appear in the bookmarks manager. Either way, it's not really a big problem.

• You need extensions for Vivaldi bookmarks? I have no experience with such extensions on Vivaldi, may be they are incompatible with Vivaldi's bookmark system.

Which bookmark extension do you use?

What happens if you start Vivaldi a Private Window (Ctrl+Shift+N), close the regular window, open bookmarks (Ctrl+B) and delete the folder?

@bobp6363 The "Other Bookmarks" folder in Chrome is incompatible with Vivaldi bookmarks architecture. It should actually not even be in the physical data set of the bookmarks file after import from Chrome. Instead, we should only have the bookmarks from it - probably displayed in a Vivaldi bookmarks folder called "Other Bookmarks." Perhaps the extension(s) you use detect and display the vestigial Other Bookmarks folder from Chrome which is not intended to be seen or used in Vivaldi.

• @Gwen-Dragon said in Extra 'Other Bookmarks' folder:

What happens if you start Vivaldi a Private Window (Ctrl+Shift+N), close the regular window, open bookmarks (Ctrl+B) and delete the folder?

Delete it how? I follow your advice with a Private Window. It does not appear when I open bookmarks (Ctrl+B). It's not about extensions, I did not have any installed when there was the problem. I installed a bunch of them temporarily and they all see this folder, but the Vivaldi bookmarks page does not.

To say maybe the extensions are incompatible is to miss the point. The folder exists but does not show up in the bookmarks manager regardless.

@Ayespy said in Extra 'Other Bookmarks' folder:

@bobp6363 The "Other Bookmarks" folder in Chrome is incompatible with Vivaldi bookmarks architecture. It should actually not even be in the physical data set of the bookmarks file after import from Chrome. Instead, we should only have the bookmarks from it - probably displayed in a Vivaldi bookmarks folder called "Other Bookmarks." Perhaps the extension(s) you use detect and display the vestigial Other Bookmarks folder from Chrome which is not intended to be seen or used in Vivaldi.

So it is this incompatibility that is the problem? Perhaps it would be helpful if this issue was made clear somewhere in the import from Chrome process. The the vestigial Other bookmarks displays OK, complete with its imported bookmarks. It is the Vivaldi folder that cannot be seen.

@bobp6363 Structurally, what you are seeing are Vivaldi folders - no others. If there is a folder that remains, but cannot be seen without an extension, it is not (or should not be) a part of Vivaldi.

For instance, I don't have, and have never had, an "Other Bookmarks" folder in Vivaldi. But then, I have never imported from Chrome. I imported from OldeOpera, which has no such folder. Now, it's possible that if I installed an extension to handle bookmarks (have never done so - I don't use extensions), I would suddenly see an "Other Bookmarks" folder. I should not. It should not be there.

Multiple users have lamented that when they copied their Chrome or NeuOpera "Bookmarks" file into their Vivaldi directory (you can do this - it's not importing, it's just replacing the file in the Vivaldi directory on the hard drive with the one from the other browser), they "lost" their bookmarks they had in "Other Bookmarks." Other users have complained that this or that bookmark syncing extension would not sync their "Other Bookmarks" from Chrome or Opera. That's because "Other Bookmarks" in Chrome is not a normal folder. It's uniquely coded, and Vivaldi can't see it or use it. HOWEVER, I think (tho I have not tried it) that if you import from Chrome you will get, in Vivaldi (in a VIVALDI folder, not a Chrome-coded folder) a bunch of bookmarks in a folder called "Other Bookmarks." This is NOT a folder with the specialized database structure that Chrome uses. It just has the same name. And it should behave like any Vivaldi bookmarks folder. If you see a bookmark folder in Vivaldi, without ever using any extensions, and you can't manipulate it in the same way you can other Vivaldi bookmark folders, we need to know that - because it's probably a bug.

Of course one also has to be sure one is using consistent terminology. In Vivaldi, there is the Bookmarks Panel (seen only on the side with the other panels), the Bookmarks Bar (seen only at the top or bottom, and only if you enable it) and the Bookmarks Manager (a page you enter by clicking Bookmarks at the top of the Start Page). You can manipulate and edit bookmarks and folders from the Panel or the Manager, but only at the top level, on the Bar.

• @Ayespy

Thank you very much for taking the time to type such a detailed reply. So no doubt then it is an issue with Chrome's "other bookmarks", and the way some chrome extensions interact with that folder, not an issue with Vivaldi.

For the sake of clarity in the terminology it is indeed with reference to the bookmarks manager, not the panel nor the bookmarks bar.

Anyway, thank you again for your very helpful clarification. This assistance only confirms my early impressions of Vivaldi - an excellent browser! Thanks!

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.