Is Viavaldi a myth for users having poor internet connectivity?

• I use 153(Kilobits per sec) internet connection so I am the person who rely more on cache. Yes, Browser 'Cache' is boon for me otherwise the websites would be taking too much time to load for the sluggishly slow connection I use. I thought it would be better to stop using Chrome or Opera when I heard about Vivaldi but expectations soon died when websites took too much to load. But I think it is the first time and I think I should wait for the building up of cache but it didn't work. It has been more than 10 days and outlook.com is still taking more than a minute to load whereas other browsers do the job in 10 seconds. I tested the browser on many websites and the result was same... disappointment! I performed another test... I cleared cache of Chrome and Vivaldi and checked how well did they perform. With 'zero cache' Chrome opened websites 2-3 times faster than Vivaldi. All of it ended in disappointment because Vivaldi doesn't seem to like 'slow internet connectivity' users. Hope fades. :(

• When I read comments like this about the browser that's not even in beta stage I also loose hope… in humanity. Seriously??? This browser is and will be for people who understand that process of building future rich browser takes time. If someone doesn't have the brains to understand that it's not a good idea to use tech preview of browser as the main browser, well that's not even worth commenting.

• @starkcitizen:

When I read comments like this about the browser that's not even in beta stage I also loose hope… in humanity. Seriously???

I do agree with you. It can be called inhuman. But please don't come to the conclusion that I would stop using Vivaldi.
    I waited for "Master Password" in Opera for years, though they never incorporated and I think I can do the same in case of Vivaldi. :)
    Yes, I should wait.
    Please don't come to the conclusion that I have become a critic. I am not here to abuse, I just couldn't control my emotions.
    I better delete the topic only if I could find a way.

• @starkcitizen:

that's not even worth commenting.

but you did.

@utksingh, of course, you can use Opera and Turbo mode, or Opera Mini on a mobile phone, or tablet: they have 10 years of development and stability improvements, to reduce by 85% the data transmitted on HTTP (this means your connection could be compared to a 1.020 Kbilobits per second), but i totally agree with you: early versions of Opera had a marvelous cache, that instantly allowed you to go back and forth in the history.

It was fantastic: you could press Z and X keys on the keyboard and navigate through the history without any delay at all: it was insanely fast. While that was the normal cache management of the early opera versions, for some very obscure reasons, that changed and became just one to the three different ways to cache pages, called "historynavigation mode 3".

Today, Chromium's cache implementation in Vivaldi just sucks, compared to the original Opera implementation.

• @newscpq

Thanks for responding back! I have to agree that there are some areas where Opera performed very well. I still have Opera Mini as default browser for my smartphone, I have saved more than 2 GB of data with Opera Mini.
    But I think Opera stopped thinking about users and there definitely was a need of new browser for "Power Users". After Opera made a shift to chromium and remained nothing but a replica of Chrome I felt very sad. Vivaldi is something with which my hopes are so much attached nowadays.
    **And I think I couldn't control my emotions when I wrote this topic in the forum, I shouldn't have. You can understand that when you use Opera for years and hope that it would incorporate those features again but it doesn't, then you feel sad.
    Yes, you are right. Cache implementation seems to be a problem that is why it is taking too much time to load websites and can be easily noticed in case of slow internet.

Thanks again! Thanks for responding back!

• @utksingh:

Vivaldi is something with which my hopes are so much attached nowadays.

You are very passionate and transparent on your feelings, and this is precious, but be careful ;): the core is Chromium, here as well, so the core might not allow turbo or compression, or some really innovative, breakthrough innovations…

Just state, loud, that you have low bandwidth and you reeeeeally need data optimization on Vivaldi, also, and… cross fingers!

P.S:
    did you participate to the official online poll on the features you want to be implemented, first? And did you post in the software development team blog your specific need, as well? Make your voice be heard! :-)

• However, you (Utksingh) did make a legitimate point: the tech preview versions of Vivaldi are running much slower than Chrome or Opera for users on a very slow Internet connection. Hopefully, Vivaldi will take note of the details of your and other similar reports and improve that situation in the not-too-distant future. I'm blessed with normally decent download speeds, but there have been a few times when line problems reduced those speeds to 50 or even 20Kb/s… and at such times (when data moves at drip-drip rates), things like differences in browser speed become extremely noticeable (and tedious) to a user.

• Opera 12.17 is still my daily browser so I also see what is working good in Vivaldi and what's not. Opera became so good because they were improving and adding features over the years. I would say it's hard to incorporate all the good things from the browser which was created from the ground to some totally different creation - Blink/Chromium.
    When about one year ago I heard that the new Opera will be totally different, that they are ditching all major features even bookmarks I was in a killing mood… and I stayed with old Opera.
    Vivaldi is a compromise. People need their beloved features, while also they need compatibility with websites and web technologies which is guaranteed by using Blink.
    Presto was very fast, feature rich, masterpiece maybe... but sadly it's not open source. It grew a beard over dozen of months and it required to constantly maintain compatibility with websites.
    I think that what we have now is the best of what we can have and it will improve over time. So the best we can do is to report bugs and have some patience.

• it's about speed of the browser, but also about the ability to dynamically remove some content, as needed, like: images, javascript (in the past), multimedia and movie autoplay (today).

You may have an excellent cache, but if the bandwidth is low, you absolutely need the ability to dynamically, selectively, remove some contents: stop their download.

newscpq

• @newscpq

**did you participate to the official online poll on the features you want to be implemented, first?
    Yes, I did participate. Compression Technology is one I opted for.

You are very passionate and transparent on your feelings
    You are the first person to understand me…

• @Blackbird

@Blackbird:

However, you (Utksingh) did make a legitimate point: the tech preview versions of Vivaldi are running much slower than Chrome or Opera for users on a very slow Internet connection.

Yes, only a person with poor internet speed can understand. Thanks to Opera's Turbo Mode and Adblock extensions to help in faster loading of webpages :)
    By the way thanks for responding to my forum! :)

• use turbo mode in Opera or better in Yandex and surf the web without images here waiting turbo here

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.