Site Cannot be Reached

• I get this message EVERY day, many sites. If I did not like the features of Vivaldi, I would have dumped it long ago. Why does it fail to reach sites such as Google and even Vivaldi? Often I get the message when the worthless numbers on the right of the address bar are at 0 so I know Vivaldi hasn't finished trying and, if I wait 10 or 15 seconds, the connection is made. Even when I am already on a site, I will get the message from that stupid fruit when I try to go to another page on the same site. It is frustrating, and if I don't get an answer, I am done with Vivaldi. Great tool, crappy implementation.

• then use something else, why are you self stabbing like this?

Perhaps:

• DNS server fails to resolve the domain
    • Proxy fails
    • Extension in Vivaldi blocks
    • Security software on Windows blocks
    • Bad WLAN connection
    • Broken LAN wire
    • Problems with Router or DSL modem

• @mikeysoft01 I'm having the same issue. Pages just don't load.

iAN CooG rejoins "then use something else" which seems a little defensive. I like Vivaldi. People worked hard to make this a good browser, and they did. I like its features a lot. There is a problem with this version, and they can't fix them if they don't know about them. Making snide remarks to people who report the problems is not constructive.

Gwen-Dragon offers a list of why it is not Vivaldi's fault, to which I reply that when I switch to another browser, any other browser, those pages load just fine.

With this version of Vivaldi, the pages that do load are very, very slow. Opera is blazing fast by comparison. The slow response started when I upgraded to the current version, and it is so slow in response time as to be unuseable. This iteration of Vivaldi has major, major problems.

• @Jayhawk467 I replied to that part: "It is frustrating, and if I don't get an answer, I am done with Vivaldi.".
    If I had half of the problems people are complaining about in this forum, I'd have uninstalled Vivaldi already 1 year ago. No need to post a threatening message anywhere.

Supporter's hell! Users complain about not working Vivaldi but they do not tell anything about their system configuration, their Windows, their Vivaldi and extensions.
    If you do not want help from me, please do a bug report, but i fear with these minimal informations posted here nobody could reproduce it.

If you found a bug, please report the issue to the developers to fix it.

How to do a bugreport for Vivaldi
    Report each bug seperately at https://vivaldi.com/bugreport/
    Describe the issue as precise as you can.
    Add some information about extensions you use.
    Add information about the operating system and version you use.
    if you have problems with video or audio give us information about your installed codecs and graphics card/GPU.
    Add a link to a testpage where the issue comes up and can be tested.
    After reporting the issue, you will receive a confirmation mail from the bugtracker.
    In a reply to this mail you can add more information and files (like screenshots or testcases) as attachments and it will be added automatically to bug report.
    If you have questions about the bug please ask in forum first and do not forget to post the VB-XXXXX bug number (you can find it in confirmation mail).

Thanks in advance for helping us to make Vivaldi better!

• @Jayhawk467 said in Site Cannot be Reached:

With this version of Vivaldi, the pages that do load are very, very slow. Opera is blazing fast by comparison. This iteration of Vivaldi has major, major problems.

But not for everyone.
    I have no such problems on Windows 10 or Linux Mint KDE (using both Stable and Snapshot).

Perhaps if you gave more information then others with similar configurations could comment.

• @TbGbe Well, I certainly cannot recommend Vivaldi for its friendly support staff. There is a way to ask for additional information so that you can provide help, and there is a way to reply as criticism of the user that additional information is not provided and, basically, that they therefor can go jump in the lake.

I got not one response that I would consider anything other than arrogant and translatable to "if you don't like us go away."

Please report about problems with unreachable sites to https://vivaldi.com/bugreport/

@Jayhawk467 I see that a volunteer Vivaldi moderator (like me) replied to you. I see nothing from any support staff - who have not chimed in on this thread.

Your initial post was hostile (OK, I'll put that down to frustration) and completely uninformative. Still, it appears you expected to receive a reply containing milk and honey. Anyway, please feel free to tell us something about your system and your usage. Some things that might assist volunteers in helping you to suss out what's going on would be:

Whether you use any extensions
    Whether you have any 3rd party security software installed
    Are you behind a proxy?
    Do you use a VPN?
    What is your OS flavor and version?
    What sort of hardware are you running?

So far, in backstage discussions, I have never seen anyone mention symptoms like yours - so I can't say for sure that one of us will have an answer. But if you can offer something about Vivaldi's operating environment in your case, we may have some ideas. In the meantime, you can also file a bug report as suggested by Gwen-Dragon.

• I get some similar issue with my win8.1 (64bit) machine using the 1.11 snapshot (sry I am sending this from my phone so I can't provide the correct version - but this issue is there since at least 3snapshots)
    The point is that this only happens when I use my very slow wlan - in case I use the cable connection everything runs fine as it should.
    So my guess is that a part of vivaldi just runs a bit too fast into "timeout-mode" while other parts still wait for a reply.
    Which results in "you have no connection" message followed by the presentation of the requested website.

@Jayhawk467 said in Site Cannot be Reached:

This iteration of Vivaldi has major, major problems.

Not here. I wonder if you run 3rd party security software. So far, everyone I have seen reporting this is running 3rd Party security software. One user changed to a different 3p security and the problem vanished. Another whitelisted Vivaldi files and executables and the problem vanished. Another Installed Vivaldi newly in a different location and the problem vanished. Each of these people were running Avast! or AVG.

• @Ayespy The problem is undoubtedly Avast. But since Avast is not interfering with Opera, Firefox, or Microsoft's awful browser, it may be that, while Avast is doing it the problem is actually Vivaldi's.

From your response, you know that your browser has a problem working with Avast. It seems odd to me that you would suggest that your users can solve the issue by using a different browser because you are blaming Avast, which doesn't create a problem for any browser other than yours.

I would tend to seek what my product is doing to cause Avast to have a problem with it that other browsers aren't doing so that users of Avast could also use my browser. My initial post was hostile because I had already read a moderator saying that the user with the problem should change away from Avast and use a different virus protection.

I'm still using Avast. I still like Vivaldi and admire the work that has gone into making it a very nice browser. If the people working on it ever decide that its clash with Avast is something they need to fix and they manage to fix it I will happily return to using it.

• Vivaldi Translator

@Jayhawk467
    I think the problem isn't Avast nor Vivaldi nor user of any products.

Vivaldi is a working application, it's a working browser exclude its features.
    Product like Avast do its job to filter.

The problem here, products like Avast only choose designated "known" products from "known" company ID. They maintain it by hard coded list, a method that not change for long time. It's common to see request in those products forum for inclusion.

Above is just personal opinion based on personal experience.
    When GChrome relatively new. I opt-in to use Chromium in Windows instead. Without explanation, Windows hang or BSOD. It need months to realize it caused by Avast resident system libraries and months to fix from Avast side, probably because I use the free version.
    CCleaner also need two years to include Vivaldi to their "hard coded" supported browsers.

@Jayhawk467 I fear you misunderstand how products like Avast! work. It is not possible to design a product to work with them - because they, by design, decide on their own what other software is acceptable or suspicious/unreliable. Some of this is through a hardcoded list and some of it is through Boolean logic. If a software seeks to access the internet (and is not excluded from interference by the 3P "security" software's authors) it is automatically suspect and required to be monitored or blocked by the "security" software. Such software has multiple modules and modes of operation and even when a user succeeds in "calling off the dogs" in one mode, another may still persist in interfering. Also, updates or changes to the victim software will trigger interference simply because something was changed, and for no other reason. You can't design a software that "works with" these overzealous cops. You have to train the cops to leave them alone. That's how it works. Avast! and other companies have been notified to leave Vivaldi alone more than once. But some of these companies even distribute their own browsers, and are sometimes in no hurry to make room for a new entrant into the market.

• Bug Report Tips:

• Start off by swearing at the idiots who wrote this bug fest
    • Never post a link to the site where the crash occurred. At most, give a cryptic clue — its more fun for the developers.
    • Everyone uses Windows 10, so there is no need to tell anyone what OS you're using. If it is a bug that doesn't occur on Windows 10 then its not worth fixing.
    • Don't bother to check your hard drive for malware or viruses. Only paranoid wimps use diagnostic system tools.
    • Be brief. Don't tell anyone what you were doing at the time.
    • When filing bugs, always send a crash report, but make sure its the wrong one. Don't give too much away at first.
    • File at least two or three more bug reports with different details, just in case the first got lost in cyber-space
    • Demand that it be fixed yesterday, and if it is not that you're going back to your previous program and won't ever use this one again
    • Every time a new version comes out, download it just to see if your pet bug was fixed

• @Ayespy The modern American mantra; it's somebody else's fault and we are "the victim software." I hear it in politics, in business, in labor relations... And in software programming. It is all pervasive.

• @Jayhawk467
    You don't seem to get the point that for vivaldi it is just not possible to solve the problem. In case you don't believe this - just install a bunch of other browsers with a small marketshare and test them and have a look how well avast works with them (the problem of course is not avast alone there are a lot of security products that behave that way).
    If you want to contribute you could write to avast so if enough people do this and the pile of complains are large enough they maybe change their code.

@Jayhawk467 The problem is not philosophical. It's technical. Changing one's attitude does not change the fact that Avast! (and any number of other 3p "security" apps) are designed to interfere with normal operations in a number of unpredictable ways. And that's what they do. Changing Vivaldi to fix Avast would be as effective as losing a $20 bill in a dark alley, and looking for it under a street lamp, because the light is better there.

Your technical ignorance likewise does not make Vivaldi a bad browser or a good browser - but it does make you unable to understand how different kinds of software behave.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/01/antivirus-is-bad/

I don't use 3P security apps. Have not done so for over a decade. I don't have the sorts of problems you have. I also don't get infected.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.