Every now & then, V-SS reminds me it's not quite purrfect yet...

• Unpleasant start to my Sunday morning, IT-wise anyway. Last night V-SS began behaving oddly [intermittent weirdness in streaming one of my most-used domestic tv news services (micro-freezes & jumps in audio & video, not necessarily both at the same time); a little while later it decided not to let me open up a 2nd window (which i attempted twice; that significance became apparent only this morning)]. I was too tired last night to bother with troubleshooting, so closed V-SS & left it til this morning to look into.

So, this morn... V-SS decided it was not interested in launching. Hmmm, wtf? Multiple processes did launch, & to that extent it all seemed "normal", other than the minor matter of no actual V-SS window. I killed all said processes again, copied my Default into one of my Maui VMs, tried to launch V-SS there. It did launch there... Windows 1, 2, & 3 [hmmm, tis getting silly now]... but none of the Windows had any of last night's tabs... nada [& my V startup setting has been & remains Last Session for years]. Bugger, but ok, i'll recover the session from the Last Tabs & Last Session files. Oh, no i won't; they're also now only a couple of kBs just like the "Current" ones, instead of the couple of MBs they should be. Disappointing, but ok so now i'll fall back to my emergency recovery which is my years-installed-&-previously-bacon-saving extension Session Buddy. What? What do you mean that the last time you saved one of your automatic session snapshots was 4 days ago. You total bugger. What have you been doing for the past 4 days? What do i pay you for? Hmmm, i wonder, did i ever get around to saving a session in V's native Session Manager? Nope [i did it some weeks ago in Lappy, but forgot to do it also in Tower - sigh].

So, my tests in the VM showed that V-SS truly has lost data [tabs only; bookmarks, notes, passwords, extensions etc still seem fine, phew!!]. That has not happened to me for a long long time. So, enough of the VM; why won't "real" V-SS even launch in my "real" Maui? There, i temporarily renamed Default, then attempted to launch V-SS again. As expected, it now created a new default Default, launched several processes, but remained too shy to actually show its face on screen. O...K... Logged out of Maui & in again... no improvement. Rebooted Tower... now finally V-SS decided to show up.

Each time a new V-SS becomes available my habit of years is to first backup my Default folder. Going to that backup now, & copying its Session & Tabs files [Last & Current] into my "real" Default folder, then launching V-SS, now gave me all my tabs, tab-stacks & pinned tabbed-stacks as they were last Tues [ie, 5 days ago, sigh]. After posting this whinge, i'll interrogate History to ascertain the missing subsequent tabs that i still need to get back. Albeit the inconvenience & time needed, i'll be able to cobble together a full recovery [note to self; afterwards, capture a bloody V-SS Session, you numpty Steffie].

V-SS, i love you, but occasionally you remind me not to take you for granted. Session Buddy - you & i now ain't talking for a while; i'm still sulking that you let me down this time.

• @Steffie said in Every now & then, V-SS reminds me it's not quite purrfect yet...:

So, my tests in the VM showed that V-SS truly has lost data [tabs only; bookmarks, notes, passwords, extensions etc still seem fine, phew!!].

After posting this whinge, i'll interrogate History to ascertain the missing subsequent tabs that i still need to get back.

Will be interesting to find out if History is up to date (or not); i.e. is it only Tabs/session history that is being lost.

From your description (and my failing memory of other reports) it seems that there may be a problem when PC is kept running for some days and Vivaldi is started/stopped repeatedly during this OS "session".
    I've never encountered this "loss of tabs" problem, but then I rarely have OS running for more than two days (a result of of dual booting Unix and Windows).

• @TbGbe History was still good... everything was still good, except all the tabs. This was One Weird Wobble.

Naturally, i blame Turnbull, Abbott, May & of course trumplethinskin.

• @Steffie Vivaldi is for our friends, it was taking care of you - "Time to go to bed now!" :grin:

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.