src="https://update.vivaldi.com/stats/piwik.php?idsite=1&rec=1&bots=1" style="border:0;" alt=""

Any idea when custom changes will be persisted between updates?

• So I understand the devs are hard at work with Sync, and that's awesome. But one of the major peeves for me at the moment when using the snapshots is for every update I have manually reconfigure browser.html and
    point it to my custom.css as well as copy the file into the correct location. I am very happy to use snapshots and I like the fast pace of development, just gets annoying to have to do this every time.

It can't be a big change could it? Just decide for a name users should use for their custom css, be it user.css or custom.css, refer it in browser.html by default and point it the the profile User Data. I guess the way Chrome handles config files could be an issue though, with every file either SQLite, JSON or some other random format, instead of easily editable text files, so no obvious place for custom css files there?

If only there was a way to refer the custom css file elsewhere on the drives, I would at least not have to copy it into the install folder on every update...

@Pathduck As long as changes are hacks, not officially supported by Vivaldi, there's little likelihood that any effort will be made for them to be able to persist between updates.

However, changes that are now hacks will eventually be available as a matter of normal user input through the UI. Such changes will, naturally, be saved between updates in the normal course of development.

• Sure, I understand things take time, and customization options will get better over time, including how user-made customizations are persisted over updates.

I just think that as customization of the UI is one of the strongest pushed features of Vivaldi, and the UI is built from scratch to specifically allow this through standard CSS, it's weird that this is also not something they thought to include from the outset.

Not every single possibility for custom CSS will ever be in the options anyway.

Anyway - hopefully this is something they will think seriously of putting in soon.

• @Ayespy I don't think so, most of the custom changes users make will never be implemented, because only a handful of users would ever want them. To me it seemed like the Vivaldi team is proud about the browser being so open to the user, because they are using web technologies. It is a major selling point. Quote from https://vivaldi.com/:

One of the things that makes Vivaldi unique is that it is built on modern web technologies. We use JavaScript and React to create the user interface with the help of Node.js and a long list of NPM modules. Vivaldi is the web built with the web.

I don't think persisting changes are out of the question, there's just more important stuff on the agenda right now. I for one hope that this will be implemented at some point -- because it just makes sense. Vivaldi wants to enable you to fit the browser exactly to your personal needs, and what's more personal than actually implementing the style/functionality you need...

Calling it hacks is belittling the efforts of the modding community. I have the impression that Vivaldi really wants to nurture customization and welcomes it.

• I spent many hours customising Opera 12.17, but every upgrade involved at least some work to reapply the changes I had made. Skins were especially problematic.

In my opinion, the devs should implement the best modifications by default, and leave the modding community to find ways to update their special needs for themselves. The vast majority of users do not bother to modify their browser beyond what is available in settings, and many do not even do that.

What I would like to see implemented by default:

• Transparent thumbnails
    • No outline on thumbnails
    • Slim navigation bar on speed dial

• @Pesala That's your personal wish list, and every user has a different one. You can try and put them up in the feature request thread :P

But seriously, what can be done by the user, has no hurry to be implemented by Vivaldi. I'd rather see them work on the things we can't change/fix ourselves.

@luetage I don't think "hacks" belittles anything. "Hackers" are generally more technically proficient than mere nerds like myself.

I also think you underrate the degree to which Vivaldi will ultimately be customizable through the UI by ordinary users.

Certainly, at some point, hacks may be made more persistent. But just even the concept of "skins" as introduced by Jon over a decade ago is going to provide so many tweaks to users that most will never even explore the full range of things they could modify with a single click.

• @Ayespy I think you underestimate the degree of customization some users have implemented in recent years. Standard Vivaldi will never be able to mirror it -- and it really shouldn't try to, because there are some crazy setups out there.

• I can't really remember doing a lot of customization in Opera12, maybe because the UI was pretty slick to begin with, and you could remove any elements you didn't like by right-clicking or moving them out of the UI.

I'm a "minimalist" and would like as little screen space taken up by clutter like buttons and bars - just the tabs, address bar, possibly a search field and back, forward and reload buttons. In Vivaldi even removing the Home button, a CSS hack is needed, this should really be unnecessary. In Firefox one can use right-click a button and choose "Remove from toolbar". A customization UI was in Opera12 as well, it worked pretty well for my needs.

Things like SD transparency as well as auto-fitting of images into the dials are really no-brainers, and I strongly assume these will be implemented as standard, anything else would be strange.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.