Vivaldi browser hangs every time I try to access any website on a new tab.

• Been a very satisfied customer of Vivaldi since mid-2016, and had no issues until tonight; whenever I try to open any website on a new tab, instead of immediately starting to load that website as always, it instead hangs for a minute or two before then deciding to load the site as it normally would. It does not seem to affect browsing on an existing tab.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the browser just now to see if it was an error on my system. The same issue is still there after reinstalling. Do you have a solution or fix as this is very frustrating, and I really don't want to end up having to go elsewhere.

Thank you

• @Beeth
    Please give us a little bit more info about your setup and the issue itself - like:

1.) What version of vivaldi do you use? (You can look this up in the first line at vivaldi://about)

2.) What windows version do you use?

3.) What extensions do you have installed?

4.) Did this issue start after you updated vivaldi from version y.yy to version x.xx - or did you installed a new extension - or did this start to happen just out of the blue?

5.) Does this happen only on specific websites or is the delay longer when you visit specific websites (like heavy media websites/videos etc) or is the delay more or less the same for every website?

6.) After you reinstalled vivaldi did you copied your settings and personal data back or did you made a "clean" start over without any of your previous data?

@Beeth Do you use any extensions? Any 3rd party security software?

• @zaibon

1: Version is 1.10.867.46 (Stable channel) (32-bit)

2: Windows 8.1

3: Just Adblock Plus, which has been installed since the start.

4: I was unable to shut down my laptop properly when it failed to wake up from sleep after opening, and wouldn't respond to anything including closing again; I had to force power off lacking any other option. (This is the first time his has happened). After starting the laptop up again, I have experienced no other faults with my usual programs besides the aforementioned hang on this browser.

5: It's the same for any website; after timing, the hang seems to last around 20-25 seconds before loading a given site as normal. I've done some further experimenting, the hang doesn't seem to occur as a result of a new tab, but rather through use of the address bar to access a website. Navigating via links or search functions within a page works perfectly fine, reacting straight away.

6: I kept my history when prompted. My settings seem to have remained pretty much as they did, including the aforementioned extension.

Thank you

@Beeth The bad shutdown might have corrupted a file or files in your profile. You might want to refresh your profile and see what that does.

• @Ayespy Only extension I have is Adblock Plus, which I installed when I first got Vivaldi. As for security software, I'm currently running AVG, which I've used on this laptop since prior to installing Vivaldi.

Thank you

• @Ayespy Followed the refresh. Renamed the Default and got a fresh one; still the same problem, unfortunately.

@Beeth Weird. Yours is the third report I have seen of something like this, but I cannot (nor can anyone at Vivaldi to my knowledge) reproduce it.

• @Ayespy Interesting. Thanks for your assistance, anyway! I'll keep running it every so often to see if it rights itself or irons out through an update. I'll keep an eye on the forum as well in case a solution is discovered. Cheers!

@Beeth Just so you know, I kind of like AVG (used to be one of their online helpers), but it could be the culprit. It could be scanning every time Vivaldi tries to do an operation. Unfortunately, "disabling" 3P security software often does not remove its fingers from the mix, so this is difficult to test without removing it entirely.

• @Ayespy I've given removing AVG a try (switching to Avira as I type this). The hang has gone! I'll see if it remains that way when Avira has installed. AVG has been increasingly irritating as of late, I regret, so the switch may well be permanent.

Thank you very much for your help! Much appreciated :)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.