Bookmark Pain

• Look at the list of 'features' that are being developed, while actually being able to properly manage bookmarks still isn't completed. This software should be labelled 0.3 alpha or similar until somebody finishes this.

• @hognoodle Yeah, you're obviously right, & furthermore the direct implication is the many thousands of us scattered all around the world, with a plethora of competing browsers from which to choose, but who pig-headedly inexplicably somehow chose Vivaldi, are equally obviously all of us loopy loons who know nothing & wouldn't know a fab browser if we tripped over it.

I cannot see any logical flaws nor factual fantasies in any of that. Oh, wait...

• @Steffie That's a bit of a stretch since I'm using it myself. I just let bookmarks pile up, export/import into firefox, organize then and export/import again. It's a little ridiculous for a browser with so many other strong features that this would (seem to) be abandoned.

• @hognoodle Import and export of bookmarks is on the File menu.

• @hognoodle said in Bookmark Pain:

bookmarks pile up, export/import into firefox, organize then and export/import again. It's a little ridiculous

Well, everyone has their own peccadilloes & idiosyncrasies, but i have several thousand BMs with a rigorous deeply hierarchical tree, with which i have precisely zero hassle, inconvenience or blockage keeping my existing BMs well managed, & incorporating all new BMs appropriately + efficiently. I can't even begin to imagine taking on the extraneous work you do, when V allows me to do it all easily. Of course, we're all different... but your assertion of V being "0.3 alpha or similar" is silly.

Yes, the bookmark manager needs more work to be more effective.

@hognoodle Calling a browser Alpha 0.3 does not help at all. Developers need feature requests, constructive feedback, not ironical postings.
    You have no idea how you would like the bookmark manager? What a pitty :(

• Indeed, this topic sucks and sucks and sucks.
    I already posted here:
    https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/13338/bookmark-management
    And always it said, no priority, BUT: WTF, I have Vivaldi running on different machines (XP, Win7 etc.) and with different users. I am not looking for some synchronizing of bookmarks over the cloud (because I wouldn't trust that), but I really would want to see a bookmark file that I could simply copy and paste it into some program directory of a different machine/OS.
    Using the export and import function does not sound like a good idea to me, since I already had months of hassle with the import of opera passwords (on some machines this was not successful till now).

• @lader6 said in Bookmark Pain:

Using the export and import function does not sound like a good idea to me.

I don't know why you say that. It only takes a minute.

• @lader6 said in Bookmark Pain:

I really would want to see a bookmark file that I could simply copy and paste it into some program directory of a different machine/OS

0_1499212547175_upload-0890a96d-bb89-4bda-99d6-0722ebea4811

Yeah, if only there was some way... Oh, wait...

• @Steffie
    No Steffie, simply copying the bookmarks file does NOT work. Pls just read the specification. I have DIFFERENT Operating systems!

• Sounds strange that it "doesn't work", it's just a JSON file with the bookmarks with no particular encoding and more importantly seems to be unrelated to OS in use.

@lader6 Copying the bookmarks file across different OSes works fine for me. Always has.

• @lader6 You. Are. Wrong.

Some people simply cannot be helped!

• To be fair here, in the other thread he referenced above, @lader6 indicated he wanted to be able to export/import/copy just several of the bookmarks from one system to another, not the entire bookmarks file. Frankly, I don't know how that would be simply accomplished when the files involved are JSON.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.