Bookmark Pain

• Look at the list of 'features' that are being developed, while actually being able to properly manage bookmarks still isn't completed. This software should be labelled 0.3 alpha or similar until somebody finishes this.

• @hognoodle Yeah, you're obviously right, & furthermore the direct implication is the many thousands of us scattered all around the world, with a plethora of competing browsers from which to choose, but who pig-headedly inexplicably somehow chose Vivaldi, are equally obviously all of us loopy loons who know nothing & wouldn't know a fab browser if we tripped over it.

I cannot see any logical flaws nor factual fantasies in any of that. Oh, wait...

• @Steffie That's a bit of a stretch since I'm using it myself. I just let bookmarks pile up, export/import into firefox, organize then and export/import again. It's a little ridiculous for a browser with so many other strong features that this would (seem to) be abandoned.

• @hognoodle Import and export of bookmarks is on the File menu.

• @hognoodle said in Bookmark Pain:

bookmarks pile up, export/import into firefox, organize then and export/import again. It's a little ridiculous

Well, everyone has their own peccadilloes & idiosyncrasies, but i have several thousand BMs with a rigorous deeply hierarchical tree, with which i have precisely zero hassle, inconvenience or blockage keeping my existing BMs well managed, & incorporating all new BMs appropriately + efficiently. I can't even begin to imagine taking on the extraneous work you do, when V allows me to do it all easily. Of course, we're all different... but your assertion of V being "0.3 alpha or similar" is silly.

• Yes, the bookmark manager needs more work to be more effective.

@hognoodle Calling a browser Alpha 0.3 does not help at all. Developers need feature requests, constructive feedback, not ironical postings.
    You have no idea how you would like the bookmark manager? What a pitty :(

• Indeed, this topic sucks and sucks and sucks.
    I already posted here:
    https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/13338/bookmark-management
    And always it said, no priority, BUT: WTF, I have Vivaldi running on different machines (XP, Win7 etc.) and with different users. I am not looking for some synchronizing of bookmarks over the cloud (because I wouldn't trust that), but I really would want to see a bookmark file that I could simply copy and paste it into some program directory of a different machine/OS.
    Using the export and import function does not sound like a good idea to me, since I already had months of hassle with the import of opera passwords (on some machines this was not successful till now).

• @lader6 said in Bookmark Pain:

Using the export and import function does not sound like a good idea to me.

I don't know why you say that. It only takes a minute.

I really would want to see a bookmark file that I could simply copy and paste it into some program directory of a different machine/OS

0_1499212547175_upload-0890a96d-bb89-4bda-99d6-0722ebea4811

Yeah, if only there was some way... Oh, wait...

• @Steffie
    No Steffie, simply copying the bookmarks file does NOT work. Pls just read the specification. I have DIFFERENT Operating systems!

• Sounds strange that it "doesn't work", it's just a JSON file with the bookmarks with no particular encoding and more importantly seems to be unrelated to OS in use.

@lader6 Copying the bookmarks file across different OSes works fine for me. Always has.

• @lader6 You. Are. Wrong.

Some people simply cannot be helped!

• To be fair here, in the other thread he referenced above, @lader6 indicated he wanted to be able to export/import/copy just several of the bookmarks from one system to another, not the entire bookmarks file. Frankly, I don't know how that would be simply accomplished when the files involved are JSON.

• Ok, thanks for your insights. I will try. Maybe there have been some changes in the recent past, so that it's working now.
    Or maybe I got confused, because some time ago I wanted to exchange bookmarks together with other Vivaldi settings between different operating systems, which ended up in complete chaos.

• ๐Ÿ˜€

• Thanks Blackbird, you are right. This topic is so old that it took me a while to get into it again:
    Of course it works to copy the whole bookmark file to a different machine (with different OS), BUT:
    I need a functionality, where I can copy e.g. only a few bookmarks and export them to my other machines. I don't always want to transfer the whole bookmark-file.

Plus: Is there a chance to have different bookmarks-files like in opera? E.g. it would be nice, if I had a bookmark file for business A and a bookmark file for business B. Sure, I could handle that with ONE bookmark file and different folders A and B, but we are talking about a huge load of bookmarks that I want to keep separated.

• @lader6 said in Bookmark Pain

Plus: Is there a chance to have different bookmarks-files like in opera? E.g. it would be nice, if I had a bookmark file for business A and a bookmark file for business B. Sure, I could handle that with ONE bookmark file and different folders A and B, but we are talking about a huge load of bookmarks that I want to keep separated.

You probably could do OK with that by putting each different "bookmarks" files in a different-named storage folder (eg: bookmarksA, bookmarksB, etc) and manually copying whichever you wanted directly into Vivaldi's Default folder. However, each time you altered a given bookmarks file while in the browser, you'd have to copy it back to the correct-named storage folder for that bookmarks file version in order to preserve the changes for the next time you wanted to bring it in. It would also be feasible to write a series of batch files (or a batch file with choices) to semi-automate the movement tasks, one batch file (or entry) for each bookmark file version, but with the necessity of turning Vivaldi off each time you copied a new bookmarks file into it and then turning Vivaldi back on, the whole thing could get fairly tedious if needing to be done often.

Back in Olde Opera days, this is exactly what I did with around 7 or 8 versions of bookmarks.adr files that I could (and did) manually swap out. At this point, however, there's no way I know of to do any of this from within Vivaldi.

@lader6 It would be a bit of a pain, but you could maintain two bookmarks files in the User Data/Default directory. Name one "Bookmarks" and the other any name that's just a character off, or something (like bookmark or bookmarks1) - so that they are beside each other in the file list. Then when you want to switch you would have to go close the browser, into the Default directory, and change their names (first altering the "bookmarks" file to something else, and then changing the non-conforming character on the other file so that it reads "bookmarks" and then open the browser again - and you have the bookmarks you want.

Plus: Is there a chance to have different bookmarks-files like in opera?

It is very easy. Use the Standalone installation option to install Vivaldi twice โ€” once for Business A and once for Business B. Then not only are your bookmarks separated, but also your browsing history, passwords, cookies, etc.

All you need is two shortcuts.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.