Option of opening a new tab [via right-click] without switching into the new tab

• I didn't see this option under "tabs" in settings. This was something I really enjoyed with Google Chrome, and I think it would be extremely useful to add to Vivaldi.

@Muckmouth You have made this request in the Vivaldi Forum Requests area (which is for requests about the community software, not the browser), rather than the Vivaldi Brower/All Platforms/Feature Requests area, so I'm moving it.

The feature you are asking for is the second item in the context menu (right-click menu). To have the option to move it to the top of the menu as in some other browsers, has been requested several times. You may enter or upvote it in the thread for the next Stable version (in this same category) if you wish.

As it stands, you can open in a new background tab using the context menu as I mentioned, or using middle-click on the link, or ctrl-click on the link, or you may customize a mouse gesture for it if you would like. Later, the context menu may be made editable.

• As Ayespy notes, the context menu does provide an option to open a new tab without switching to it. The problem is that the way it does so runs contrary to the way nearly every other browser works and therefore to the way users expect a browser to work.
    The Vivaldi menu item “Open a new background tab” does what everyone else calls open a new tab.
    The Vivaldi menu item “Open a new tab” does what everyone else calls open a new tab and switch to it.
    This is needlessly confusing and I personally find it a constant irritation.
    I do like having the context menu provide the option to open in a new tab and either switch to it or not, but the first menu item and default should be to open a new tab without switching to it.
    Ideally, the choice of default action should be left to the user as an option in the settings.

@xtabber You're entirely right that the majority of browsers now do it the other way. These days, an option would be appropriate, just to account for that fact.

The authors of Vivaldi, when they were the authors of the old Opera, invented the function, and I suppose old habits die hard. They implemented it in Vivaldi the same way they did when they invented it nearly twenty years ago (called "Open in new Window" in what was then a Multiple Document Interface - the precursor to what is now called "tabbed browsing").

Pretty much every browser that copied the function after old Opera, made the new tab open in the background, and now a majority of users are "used to" that altered function. I personally used the old version of Opera starting in 1999, and grew used to that (open the new tab and focus it) function pattern, and the way imitators did it always kind of pissed me off - I wanted to SEE that tab - not open it and then go looking for it. I was happy to recover my old use pattern when I started using Vivaldi. And, to be fair, Vivaldi was started with the idea of attracting users like me, who missed the old Opera way of doing things.

Still, you're right. When possible, I think an option to reverse it to the imitator way of doing things should be included.

• My Opera usage dates back at least as far as yours (I used 3.2 in 1998 and purchased a license for 3.5 in February 1999). At the time, just being able to open a link in a new tab without having to use the back button to see the old page was a wonderful advantage over other browsers, no matter how it worked. But computers are far more powerful now, and we use our browsers differently.

Today, users typically have multiple tabs open at a time, and the primary use for “Open in new tab” is to make a linked page available quickly, not to change the flow of reading the current page, as happens when the browser immediately switches focus to the new tab. The reason most other browsers open new tabs in the background is because usability testing shows that is the behavior most users prefer.

If the developers at Vivaldi want to help people navigate many open tabs, a great feature would be a breadcrumb trail to allow users to return to originating tabs quickly. But the default for opening new tabs should be to do it the way most people expect.

• @xtabber said in Option of opening a new tab [via right-click] without switching into the new tab:

Today, users typically have multiple tabs open at a time, and the primary use for “Open in new tab” is to make a linked page available quickly,

You can speak for yourself, but why do you assume that your workflow is typical? Typically, I will open the link to find what I wanted, then close the tab.

If I did want to open multiple links in the background, I would use middle-click on the link, or a mouse gesture. The last thing I would use is the right-click menu.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.