Too many crashes on Mac OS 10 Sierra

• Love the look of Vivaldi but far too many crashes for it to be taken seriously as competition for Safari and Firefox. Developers really need to look at V's stability before it gains traction in the Mac world. I'll keep doing the software updates and check on its stability, with hope! I won't give up on V but please fix the stability issues.

@johnarmstrong Hi. Welcome to the Vivaldi community! Rest assured that Vivaldi takes any and all crashes very seriously.

The only common Vivaldi crash that I'm currently aware of occurs on sites serving HTML5 video. It affects Mac's whose GPU's have been blacklisted by the Chromium developers, and there have been several discussion threads opened recently discussing the problem, along with workarounds to stop the crash from occurring. The Vivaldi team has also successfully reproduced the crash in their test environment so hopefully we'll see a fix for this issue soon.

If you're running into a completely different issue, please feel free to post additional information here and we'll do our best to help. You can also file a bug report at: https://vivaldi.com/bugreport/

Thanks very much for your patience!

• Not exaggerating and have no interest or benefit from defending the devs, but I'm running Sierra as well as the latest Vivaldi beta snapshot, and have been since at least mid-April, and can count the crashes I've experienced on one hand.

• Just as a quick troubleshooting advice and as someone who has no trouble running Vivaldi (current release) on macOS Sierra 10.12.5 on 3 separate Macs, try running Vivaldi in a fresh user account. It's a bit of a hassle, but just as a troubleshooting measure.

• Thank you all for your replies. I will persevere with it. Cheers, John

• I use this as my main browser on both my WIndows machine at work and my Mac at home.

With this latest update, the browser crashes all the time. I mean...ALL THE TIME. If there is a way to revert to the previous version.. please let me know because as of right now. This is unusable.

@tablazines Vivaldi on the Mac is actually pretty stable with the huge exception of a crash that's occurring on some sites when GPU hardware acceleration is disabled, either intentionally (within chrome://settings) or if your GPU has been blacklisted by the Chromium developers. The following topic has some more details:

https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/18034/youtube-twitch-twitter-videos-not-playing-crash-issues

Re-enabling hardware acceleration or overriding the GPU blacklist should stop the crash from occurring until Vivaldi can release a proper fix to VB-29200.

If this doesn't stop the crash, you're likely running into a completely different issue. Please let us know if that's the case and we'll again do our best to help.

• Do we have an ETA on a fix for this yet? Since the first version of 1.10, Vivaldi has been 100% unusable on my MacBook Pro. Any site with an HTML5 video on it will consistently crash 100% of the time. The browser will then go into a crash loop that can only be fixed by deleting Vivaldi.app and and restoring the old 1.9 version from the trash. Now, I have not been able to play video on Vivaldi for months, but it actually only started crashing with 1.10.

I do have a Mac with Intel HD Graphics 3000 as its integrated solution, which is apparently particularly troublesome. So, I forced my MBP to use its dedicated AMD Radeon 6490M GPU and it still consistently crashes.

To compare, when I try to play the same video on vanilla Chromium 59, there is just a blank placeholder where the video player should be. It does not show up and it does not play, but the browser does not crash either. Chrome 59 works perfectly fine.

I did try overriding the GPU blacklist, but again, the same thing happens no matter what I enable or disable. I am starting to think that I have a completely separate issue, but cannot be sure. I've gone back to Firefox in the mean time, with the hopes that I can eventually get this fixed.

• I would also like to add that each time this happens, it says that the issue is due to a crashed thread named "Chrome_IOThread".

The Console app has a bunch of crash logs saved in it from each time this happens. If the Vivaldi developers might find this useful, please let me know and I will send them. If not, that's okay too. :)

@Shrinra Thanks for the update. FYI, the crash still occurs on my Mac if I override the blacklist but disable hardware acceleration in the Chrome settings. As far as I've been able to figure out, the key to working around this issue and preventing the crash is to ensure that GPU hardware acceleration is enabled.

Please have a look at vivaldi://gpu to verify your status.

I hope this helps...

• @xyzzy Thank you for all of your help! With your assistance, I just got video working in Vivaldi on my MacBook Pro for the first time in months (literally)!

Here's the process that I had to take:

1. I had tried updating to Vivaldi 1.10 and viewing an HTML5 video yesterday, and the browser immediately crashed. When I relaunched the app today, I was faced with a crash loop again. So I deleted Vivaldi.app from my Applications folder and restored the old 1.9 version of Vivaldi.app from my trash.

2. I relaunched the old version and it worked...no crashing. I then went to vivaldi://flags and found Override software rendering list (#ignore-gpu-blacklist). I enabled it. Then, I found Hardware-accelerated video decode (#disable-accelerated-video-decode) and enabled it as well.

3. I relaunched the browser and video was still not usable. So, I went to chrome://settings to access the underlying Chromium settings that are still present deep down within the browser. The reason I did this was because I had seen an option for hardware acceleration on the screen before and wanted to make sure that it was set correctly. I found that the "Use hardware acceleration where available" was unchecked, so I checked the box and relaunched Vivaldi again. Guess what? Video was finally working this time! I checked multiple sites, and all loaded and played videos perfectly.

4. I once again updated my Vivaldi installation to 1.10. Once again, HTML5 video played as expected and there is no crashing!

Now, when I go to vivaldi://gpu, hardware acceleration is showing as enabled.

I am not 100% satisfied with this solution; I am sure that the Chromium developers blacklisted these GPU's for a reason. I am also sure that my video playback will still be negatively affected as a result. However, it is definitely a 180 degree improvement from where I was yesterday, and where I have been for months, so I'll take it!

Perhaps the Vivaldi team could enable these flags on their macOS builds until they come up with a more permanent, stable fix? It does seem to help, and users shouldn't have to muck around with hidden Chromium flags (even if the browser is targeted to power users). Just a thought!

Again, thanks for your help. I will make sure to keep this thread updated with my experiences.

• @johnarmstrong
    My first experience with Vivaldi was that it was fast, intuitive and flexible but it crashed a lot. I'm pleased to report that subsequent updates seem to have brought stability - to the extent that Vivaldi is now my preferred browser for Mac. Congrats team!!

• Having the same problem here… crashes at least 4 times a day. I disabled hardware acceleration now…. let's see how it works out.

Informations (in german):

Hardware
    Modell-Identifizierung: iMac13,2
    Prozessortyp: Intel Core i7
    Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 3,4 GHz
    Anzahl der Prozessoren: 1
    Gesamtanzahl der Kerne: 4
    L2-Cache (pro Kern): 256 KB
    L3-Cache: 8 MB
    Speicher: 24 GB

GPU
    Chipsatz-Modell: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
    Typ: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe-Lane-Breite: x16
    VRAM (gesamt): 2048 MB

Software
    macOS Sierra 10.12.6

Browser
    Vivaldi 1.10.867.48 (Stable channel) (64-Bit)
    Überarbeitung a15109d5067af6b5a12e545c62002cb77d8f329e
    Betriebssystem Mac OS X
    JavaScript V8 5.9.211.38
    Flash 26.0.0.137 /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/PepperFlashPlayer/PepperFlashPlayer.plugin
    User-Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_12_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/59.0.3071.112 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/1.91.867.48
    Befehlszeile /Applications/Vivaldi.app/Contents/MacOS/Vivaldi -psn_0_1212712 --always-authorize-plugins --disable-translate --enable-blink-features=ResizeObserver --ppapi-flash-path=/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/PepperFlashPlayer/PepperFlashPlayer.plugin --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end --disable-smooth-scrolling
    Ausführbarer Pfad /Applications/Vivaldi.app/Contents/MacOS/Vivaldi
    Profilpfad /Users/XXX/Library/Application Support/Vivaldi/Default

FYI, today's Vivaldi 1.11 RC2 snapshot contains a fix for the crash that has been affecting many of us lately! :champagne: :champagne_glass: :tada:

• @xyzzy Really?! Do you know any of the technical details behind the fix? I am very curious as to what had to be done to fix this issue since it was rooted in Chromium.

I can't wait to get home and try this out tonight!

@Shrinra Sorry, I don't have the details but there's usually not much to tell either. Crashes may seem dramatic and can be tough to reproduce or troubleshoot, but the fix itself typically ends up being something "simple" and straightforward in retrospect.

Kudos to the Vivaldi developers. I'm very happy to see this particular bug get squashed!!

• I've tested the new Snapshot! I disabled the override GPU blacklist flag and tested an HTML5 video.

The good news is that Vivaldi did not crash at all! I am very pleased. The bad news is that HTML5 video still does not work for me without the blacklist flag enabled. If disabled, HTML5 players will simply display a message along the lines of "Sorry, we cannot play the video. Retry". I have reverted to 1.9 behavior.

I was not expecting a fix for the latter, and I am not sure that one will ever come, but I was still hopeful nonetheless. :)

@Shrinra Thanks very much for testing the fix... and don't lost hope. Vivaldi knows that media playback on some Macs is still an issue and that it's affecting some newer Macs as well. I'm sure it's a bigger dragon to slay than the crash but I'm still optimistic! :-)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.