Freezes KDE desktop after some hours of work

• Strange, but Vivaldi freezes complete desktop after some hours of work, perhaps related to previous watched videos.

Vivaldi 1.10 Stable
    Debian 8.8 x64
    8 GB RAM
    KDE 4.14
    Intel GPU Xeon E3-1200

I could only switch to tty1 and restart OS with Ctrl+Alt-Del.

May be there is a memory leak in Vivaldi 1.10 Stable? I read so much about it.

Any hints what i could do?

• @Gwen-Dragon
    I don't have any idea about the freeze.

Because it's not locked your entire system; you could check for clues from.

• $HOME/.xsession-errors. If we're lucky, recent X events will be logged there.
    • Any recent logs in /var/log. Same reason above.
    • $> dmesg | tail and or dmesg -k | tail. If you use current systemd probably need sudo or run as root.

You could use Ctrl+Alt+BackSpace to terminate X session. IIRC, KDE/Plasma has option for it in its Control Panel somewhere. So you don't need to restart your system.

• Thanks for some hints where to look at when X server or kdm freezes.

Today i reinstalled my Linux, i report back if the problem is gone or not.

• @dLeon said in Freezes KDE desktop after some hours of work:

You could use Ctrl+Alt+BackSpace to terminate X session. IIRC, KDE/Plasma has option for it in its Control Panel somewhere. So you don't need to restart your system.

Correct.

0_1498267959267_upload-ec3513ca-3a17-499c-a200-ddeefcb94aca

0_1498268057238_upload-8f45145b-5412-4cd8-b16e-c0aa2ba8f9e5

Those pics are for my Tower's Maui, whose Plasma5 basically comes from KDE Neon. My Lappy now instead has openSUSE Tumbleweed [with which i am enjoying a new-found slow-burn love, & once i solve a few remaining issues i shall seriously consider also migrating Tower to OSS TW -- what a distro!!], whose System Settings menu layout is slightly different but still close enough that the pics remain ~valid... i intuit that probably any distro's Plasma5 spin will probably more or less follow the same layout.

@Gwen-Dragon -- oh gahhhh, i apologise, i just realised that you're on KDE4 not Plasma5, silly me... but from vague memory i think the KDE4 System Settings layout is not so hugely different that the pics might still have some relevance...? And to your primary problem, fyi i don't think i can recall any system lockups i've had that i associated with Vivaldi [but then, even though Stable is always installed, i use it only occasionally, whereas i'm in V-SS pretty much every waking minute].

@Gwen-Dragon How badly did your desktop freeze? When you switched to a TTY, were you able to kill the Vivaldi processes to see if that would free up system resources or release locks?

If you're suspecting a memory leak, commands like top, vmstat -s, or even cat /proc/meminfo will help to confirm that.

Hopefully it's not the X server itself locking up. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace will only work if your X server is still able to process keyboard input.

I'm not sure what else to suggest until we can get more information about the nature of the lockups.

• Mouse and apps were not accessible, KDE shortcuts failed. :(

But i was able to switch to tty1 or other text logins.

@Gwen-Dragon That's not good... at least you can still gather some stats and try to kill processes selectively from the command line. :-|

• The only make sense info related to KDE 4 + Chromium/GChrome freeze:
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=338999.

QT4 issue.

On last post, there's a link to duplicate bug report with same version @Gwen-Dragon's KDE.

@dLeon Anything's possible but this (to me) sounds like something that just started happening. The Chromium team have been making some significant changes to the GPU stack and it's still a work-in-progress...

http://dev.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/gpu-accelerated-compositing-in-chrome/gpu-architecture-roadmap

@Gwen-Dragon Was your GPU blacklisted by the Chromium team and did you override the blacklist in vivaldi://flags?

• @xyzzy said in Freezes KDE desktop after some hours of work:

Was your GPU blacklisted by the Chromium team and did you override the blacklist in vivaldi://flags

No, the GPU was not blacklisted.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.