Vivaldi browser on old computer? (SSE2 needed?)

• I was downloaded Vivaldi browser tech demo and was unable to install it, immedient crash after opening installer, I assume it is the same proble as with latest opera builds? No SSE2 support from cpu = crash? does vivaldi browser needs for running SSE2 support as well like latest operas? I was very hopeful that vivaldi would be working without SSE2 support like firefox for example. At the moment I am stucked on opera v20 with my athlon XP rig, what is perfectly good as net machiene, it is even capable running youtube on HD settings, but its going to problematic find suitable browser for it. :( windows xp sp3 athlon xp 3200+

• Thank You for comment but sadly no any progress with new version,
    Attachments:

• but can anybody say does current vivaldi need SSE2 support or i have some different issue?

Vivaldi is built on Blink. As far as I know, Blink requires SSE2. Probably won't run on anything older than a P4.

• thats sad, i do not see any real reason why browser would need sse2

• @Ayespy:

Vivaldi is built on Blink. As far as I know, Blink requires SSE2. Probably won't run on anything older than a P4.

No, Blink doesn't require CPU with SSE2. It's because Chrome, Chromium and almost all Chromium based browsers have Aura, which uses hardware acceleration and because Aura was implemented and can't be disabled permanently, the minimal requeiments from Aura is slightly higher, especially for CPU. If I'm not wrong, after implemented Aura, Chrome now is very slow and can temporarily hang the OS, but maybe my computer have one of poor components, like RAM or HDD or maybe I have installed too much extensions (mostly because i'm fan of Opera 12's features :P) or… both :P

• @AXP-user:

thats sad, i do not see any real reason why browser would need sse2

Well is a choice to have a more optimized code, given the CPU that lacks sse2 are almost extinct .

Say my tablet TC1100, coming from 2004 has already the support for sse2.

So compiling the sw w/o the sse2 flags would impact 99.9% of the users, to please the remaining 0.1%

Even Otter requires the sse2, but in that case you can recompile it by yourself, given it's open source.

• well.. for example STEAM was approachable and made its system working without again after some users was unhappy.

but ofcourse its not my tell how somebody should build anything, i was rather made up that topic to find out is the reason missing SSE2 or some other problem what I might be able to fix :)

• @AXP-user:

well.. for example STEAM was approachable and made its system working without again after some users was unhappy.

Yes but Steam is now a bigh thing, a money making machine for Valve who has hundreds of employers.

Vivaldi even with the Opera legacy is still a startup, with less than 30 employers and some big challenges waiting in the near future. They are already building 5 different versions and maybe another one would be considered a not worth effort.

But, never say never.

was rather made up that topic to find out is the reason missing SSE2 or some other problem what I might be able to fix

You can find more technical details here

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=349320

I doubt that your problem can be easily fixable other than the recompilation with the proper compiler flags (and likely some code workarounds).

So something feasible for a fully open source SW, but not for a (partly) closed one.

Edit: the 0.33% from the official statistics, mentioned in the above link, is really close to the 0.1% I guessed earlier, given my personal statistics.

• really only 0,33%? :O here is pentium3 or athlon xp not so rare at all :dry:

• @AXP-user:

really only 0,33%? :O here is pentium3 or athlon xp not so rare at all :dry:

It's a big world, with a lot of users in it. Many, if not most, of them supersede their computers about every 3-6 years (though I'm not one of them), in part because their systems by then are so loaded down with junk software and free apps that they can barely boot up. The sad truth is that many users, when experiencing stubborn computer problems, simply kick the old system into a closet and go buy a new one. The other major reason is the constant pursuit by the masses after the latest techno-edge online experiences… and that often requires hardware/software that is of the latest design. If you're going to keep a 10-year old system (or older) online, it's more a technical labor of love than anything else (and I do mean LABOR).

• @AXP-user:

really only 0,33%? :O here is pentium3 or athlon xp not so rare at all :dry:

The problem is not the CPU itself, are the surrounding components.

One of the faster athlon XP or PIII are perfectly enjoyable nowadays IF enough memory is provided, and IF coupled with a fast HDD.

I use my TC1100 powered by a Pentium M @1.1 GHz, it runs win 8.1 faster than XP in 2004, and I like it a lot, but I spent more than 100€ in RAM and SSD.

That's the problem. Pata SSDs are expensive, old style RAM in big size is VERY expensive.

Putting 4GB of ram and a decent SSD on a year 2000 machine is likely more expensive than buying a cheap actual MB some actual RAM and a small SATA SSD.

I solved the SSD problem using an mSata2pata adapter, but most of the users don't think to this kind of solution and just looks at the PATA prices.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.