⚙ Why you went Vivaldi browser thread

• This thread purpose is to share why you ended up being a Vivaldi browser user.

I'm sharing mine here:

Your OS and Vivaldi Browser version?

Windows 10 Version 1703 Comp 15063.413
    Vivaldi 1.10.867.38 (Stable channel) (64-bit)

Why did you try Vivaldi Browser?

I tried it right away after reading people who was behind presto Opera started Vivaldi project in order to bring back a bit of the old gold.

What was the best detail that made Vivaldi a valid option among other major browsers?

I really liked the install options, in fact install as "Standalone" option really blew my mind. I was used to play tricks like editing opera/chrome shortcut to move profile and cache to my ramdisk. The first thing that happened when installing Vivaldi was the option to simply use "Standalone" and point it directly to my ramdisk, sweet. I gave it a whole point right there. The default Ctrl+z keyboard shortcut for undo closed tab hilarious.

What other aspect of Vivaldi kept you going?

The settings for sure, pretty much I didn't have to install some extensions after checking the whole settings. And obviously the default themes to pick were all good looking. And fast, gotta love a fast browser.

Is Vivaldi your default browser?

Yes it is.

What downsides have you found while using Vivaldi?

The only downside I have found would be the lack of exporting settings. I used to use sync on other browsers but it is not like I cannot just backup my bookmarks and upload them to my mails or cloud services. That's not a problem, the problem are settings. I don't like to spend some extra time everytime I have to install Vivaldi after I format my computer or when installing it on another computer. If there were such option I'd say I haven't found any big downside.

What would you think it's the most important next step for Vivaldi browser?

I understand that sync today sounds like a must have feature, and I may agree. However, I don't see how complex could it be to people to just backup bookmarks and import them later in the future. I would only agree about the sync if it would be taking care of settings.
    I think the next most important step for Vivaldi is to keep up with Chromium security updates, and to focus on fixing all major and minor issues. What would be the point to have Vivaldi with sync if the cost equals an unsafe and non stable browser.

What would you like to see coming from Vivaldi's community?

I would like to see some little community oriented to keep what I would call "Vivaldi's critical extension guard". This community will have one only goal, to keep the very top critical extensions working in Vivaldi.
    What extensions shoould be here? Only extensions that over time have proved to be stable and safe to use. Ghostery would not fit in this category as in the past it was involved in irregular data collection and data selling.

1º- ublock Origin / Efficient and high performance ADS-BLOCKER.

2º- HTTPS Everywhere / In case Vivaldi were not able to properly pick HTTPS over HTTP.

There may be more in this list bout should be kept small, and using top class criteria.

From 1 to 10 where 10 is best and 1 worse, how you score Vivaldi browser?

That's all! Share yours in this thread :wink:

• Vivaldi Translator

@Okard said in :gear: Why you went Vivaldi browser thread:

Your Windows and Vivaldi Browser version?

Other OS couldn't share? :disappointed:

• @dLeon said in :gear: Why you went Vivaldi browser thread:

@Okard said in :gear: Why you went Vivaldi browser thread:

Other OS couldn't share? :disappointed:

Of course you can, I was naming mine that's all.
    The idea was to copy al the questions in "Bold" and answer them your way heh

• Vivaldi Translator

@Okard

:sunglasses:
    But first, I think this thread should moved to Lounge sub forum.

OS = Main, Linux/Debian sid amd64. Sometime Linux/Arch if I'm bored. Windows get dust in the corner.
    Vivaldi = Always current Vivaldi Snapshot.

What did you try Vivaldi Browser?
    I've got no idea why until this second. It's a dumb luck I guess.
    There's no Chromium based browsers ever attract me more than 1 hour trying them. I don't even attracted to Chromium original. For me, all of them are just one big application (500MB+ unpacked, 2GB+ with user profile & cache) showing window and address bar. At least as a browser they do work, no complain with that.
    Then this weirdness, What the heck is Vivaldi? Googling it only return 2 explanations back then. Download it, randomly hit anything, next thing, find out I'm using an unknown browser for weeks.

What was the best detail that made Vivaldi a valid option among other major browsers?

• Install. Vivaldi in DEB package format never got problems here, so...
    • Split View currently the feature I mostly used.
    • Notes come second.
    • Customizing Vivaldi CSS/JS the third.
    • I also like to use image as Startpage/Newtab.
      Nothing special, but in other browsers I would need any of serious extensions, CSS/JS Kung Fu, use homemade HTML as Homepage/Newtab or just limited, IF they could do that at all.
    • All my chosen Chrome extensions just work. Sure, there's hiccup here & there.
      I use Vivaldi as a browser, so, I never have technical problems with it. This condition is true for all browser I use, ever try or will try.

I only waiting for Bookmarks Manager revamp for now. No hurry. I graduated from Opera Old era when everything need serious years to come.
    I don't need sync or cloud services. I do none browsing things manually, personal preferred habit.

Yes. Vivaldi Snapshot as Daily Browsing Tool.

• Uncomfortable Bookmarks Management.
    • Exclude Sync problem, Vivaldi suffer from Chromium/Chrome issue about offline exporting/importing user profile. If you use Firefox, its user profile practically cross OS. I could just ZIP it in my Linux profile, copy to USB stick & wonder around to Internet Cafe using Windows anywhere. Maybe that's why I don't like to try any Chromium based more than 1 hour.
      Depended to Sync? My data wonder out to somewhere else? No thanks.

Just step forward. What else?
    IMHO, just focus to fixing bugs in Software Development is same as dead project. It's a never ending job, as never ending to secure it. Without a doubt, all money & people resources will be used to do those two things only. Where we could balance it? Catching Chromium fix, fix things caused by Chromium change, fix on the house problems with Vivaldi UI/patch, adding people request, fixing people request, adding own planned features like internal mail, etc. Focusing to one will make one group happy, others grumble.

• Active & complete bug report. No need for "Extra" vocabulary. Any volunteers here are not gods nor Hogwarts graduate.
    • Ideas in Feature Request mostly nice. Sometime make me feel "Why I don't think of that?". I vote it.
    • CSS/JS tweak, themes code, SD thumbnails, random chats like this also good.

Those above are what just cross my mind currently.

Security/Ads features.
    Personally, I'm not a fan of security/ads blocker in a browser idea. I prefer to opt-in to professional & focus to one job security/ads experts. Example; gorhill uBlock0/uMatrix. Well I only use that.
    When I test Opera or Brave, I'm not interest in their ads blocker ability or VPN. I tailored my own tracking blocker, I don't block ads, and I use my own chosen VPN. I could use tunnelling through SSH (no TOR sh#$) if I want to.

There's no perfect tools for me. I use tool that perfect to do one thing. (Unix philosophy?)

EOL

• Your Windows and Vivaldi Browser version?

• Windows 10 x64
      Vivaldi 1.10 stable x64 - 1.11 snapshot x64

Why/when did you try Vivaldi Browser?

• Since 1.0 betas/snapshot. I was curious; a chromium based browser (I had lags with gecko/firefox) but made from Opera guys/girls and with a different UI: I hate google chrome UI and firefox australis UI.

• Vertical tabs. Vivaldi and new opera are probably the only chromiums that can do that.
    • Exposed UI interface. I suck at coding, but an almost totally moddable interface is something marvellous.
    • Themes. Very nice.

• It's quite fast - slightly slower than chrome; (really) faster than firefox with a lot of tabs opened.
    • Severe issues are usually solved soon.

• Yep

• Some elements - bookmark bar, speed dial, download panel - need to be improved.
      But they're working on it - like history, it's cool, the chromium one was really bad for me.

What would you think it's the most important next step for Vivaldi browser? What would you like to see coming from Vivaldi's community?
    Sync, official script support, improved download panel/page, improved bookmark bar, context menus in vivaldi style (for skin coherence), vivaldi extensions (a page with working extensions, like yandex has) and everything else that dev can do :D

9 :p

• Vivaldi Translator

There is or was an official thread for this somewhere, but it must have been un-pinned

• Your Windows and Vivaldi Browser version?

• Windows 10 x64 Pro
    • Snapshot always the latest version.

I was looking for a browser, just that! A software download site here in Brazil has a category browsers, I remember that before installing Vivaldi I installed some 5 browsers, installed and stayed a few minutes and did not want any more, then came the time of Vivaldi, on the site has Some screenshots, it caught me a lot of attention, so I installed! I was testing, I opened the settings and I saw a lot of option, so this caught my attention!
    Then I started looking for more about Vivaldi, where it comes from and who is behind the development, then I joined the community and I really enjoyed it! Always active! It was a complete set that made me continue with Vivaldi.

There are many details and functions.
    Paineis, notes (I use a lot), I love the fact that for an image in the new tab (without using extensions), themes, there are many things that makes me really like this browser, I was very happy when I saw improvements in the command (f2) a few days ago ... I used a lot, but I had some slowness problems, now it's very good! Quick, it has improved a lot! Could not forget the stacking of guides! There are many things ...

I like development always active, and every update is not "just" bug fixes or improvements, always have new functions, I find this incredible, the browser is never finished, they are never just fixes, every update has new features requested by users.

Yes!

One thing that bothers me is that I can not export my settings, keyboard shortcuts, themes, notes, passwords etc, in a practical way (as happens when exporting the bookmarks), many ask for synchronization, I'd think that's very good! But it would be incredible if the user could export all the settings. Already in feature requests, then in the future we can have this option.

Keep doing so by adding features, fixing crashes ... And always keeping the browser fast.
    It's very good, you see many options in Vivaldi and even then it remains fast, never fail to be so.

Options hide icons from the interface, the trash icon really bothers me! Native functions to hide the icons.
    Export settings, keyboard shortcuts, themes, notes etc ...
    Image properties, download speed display, make working the keyboard shortcut to pin the selected tabs, currently does not work! Currently works with the first selected guide. (Must be a bug), options to adjust the speed dial image.
    In short, add the functions that users ask for, the ones that are possible of course.

9 - Nothing is perfect for my, always the space for improvement.

Limited English but it was cool to share my thoughts. :relaxed:

• There was no Beethoven browser :/

@bren Use the center button on your mouse to click the link.

• Thank you all for sharing your experience here, I'm glad we have some common ideas and thoughts. And best of all is we all enjoy Vivaldi browser ;).

PD: I was too lazy to check if there already was a thread like this, sorry about that. If someone can move the thread to it's proper place that would be great too.
    PD2: Sorry I have edited first question it had a grammar error.

• @dLeon said in ⚙ Why you went Vivaldi browser thread:

But first, I think this thread should moved to Lounge sub forum.

I think better "all platforms" instead.

Lounge / Technology / Browsers

Your OS and Vivaldi Browser Version?

Win10 1703 X64
    Vivaldi: 1.11.883.15 (Developer Build) (64-bit)

Not a valid question. You mean "when" or "why." I will answer both. "When," I tried it the day it came out, Jan 27, 2015. "Why," someone on the Opera team blog posted that John S Von Tetzchner (co-founder of the original, good, Opera) had a new browser startup called Vivaldi with its initial public release, so I turned immediately to investigate it.

No single detail. Jon S Von Tetzchner was building it, and it was the one and only browser in the market offering to bring back everything I had been missing from the original Opera 12 and prior versions.

It offered vertical tabs and icon-only bookmarks bar right out of the chute. I could tell immediately that Jon was serious about bringing back the power and flexibility of the last good browser to have been made by anyone.

Are you kidding? Of course! IS there another browser?

If anything, just that it has not yet restored all of the former glory that was the original Opera. But it's well on its way there, and making progress at blazing speed.

Sync.

Feedback, feedback, feedback, plus pitch in and help.

Of all available browsers today, 10 ie the best. Of all possible browsers (including future Vivaldi) 8. There's much more it can and will be.

• Your OS and Vivaldi Browser version?

Win10 Pro x64 1703 Newest Updates
    Vivaldi Newest Snapshot (Official Build) (64-bit)

Had a problem on one of my go-to sites with Chrome that started randomly one day with no changes to the system. Decided to change things up.
    Searched "Best browser 2017" and found Vivaldi.

Tabs on the side.

Customization. Also, the speed is great.

I set it as default within a day of downloading it.

None so far, but I've only been using it for a week.

What would you think is the most important next step for Vivaldi browser?

Keeping up with the feature updates, stability updates, security updates, and bug fixes.

More constructive feedback.

From 1 to 10 where 10 is best and 1 worst, how you score Vivaldi browser?

So far, 8. Might go higher as I delve deeper.

• Thought it couldn't hurt to do this.

Your OS and Vivaldi Browser version?

Windows 10 - I'm a Linux guy really but current circumstances mean I'm stuck using Windows for the time being - at least I have a good browser.
    Vivaldi Stable channel (currently 1.11.917.39)

I've been an Opera user since the 90s - but after the demise of Presto Opera I was never satisfied with any browser on the market. First heard about Vivaldi when it was still in its technical preview stage and it reminded me a lot of old Oprea, from TP3 onwards I considered it stable enough to use as my main browser.

A couple of relatively small things were important to me; customisable shortcuts and the ability to cycle tabs by last used - if a browser doesn't have those two things then, for me, it's practically unusable. I was amazed to learn post O12 that these aren't standard features in all browsers...

I very much like the philosophy of the browser, by not limiting the features it makes it feel like a tool for the user, just like old Opera did.

Of course!

Performance is not always that great and it's rather resource-intensive. Personally though I think user interface/features outweigh the performance in importance.

I've never needed Sync myself, but I think it's important to a lot of people - I've tried to persuade people to switch to Vivaldi and very often Sync is the sticking point preventing people from switching. So I would say that's important.

Beyond that, carry on as normal with the focus on as much user control as possible, that's what makes Vivaldi different.

I'm also very much looking forward to see what Vivaldi does with their Android browser.

@Okard mentions keeping critical extensions working - I would say if they're truly critical the functionality should be integrated into the browser.

For example something like native content blocking, that could be used to block ads if the user includes the right list but generally promoted more as a neutral general-purpose blocking tool - like ublock origin - that would be a good idea to be built into the browser, removing any need for a lot of these privacy and ad-blocking apps that people use.

7 or 8 - but important to note that I'd give the second best browser a 4 or 5 - browsers are terrible these days - and it's great to have Vivaldi where there's both room and desire to improve. There's still a long way to go, old Opera took decades to become the wonderfully refined and feature-rich product it was by the end, hopefully Vivaldi will last at least as long.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.