Login for Google Keep extension

• When I try to save to Keep by right clicking it asks me to 'sign in to use google keep chrome extension'. When I click it I am taken to the website address vivaldi://chrome-signin/?access_point=6&reason=0 and it remains blank.

• @Prafull said in Login for Google Keep extension:

When I try to save to Keep by right clicking it asks me to 'sign in to use google keep chrome extension'. When I click it I am taken to the website address vivaldi://chrome-signin/?access_point=6&reason=0 and it remains blank.

I haven't tried lately, but some Google extensions have never worked for me. As you experience, they fail at the login phase.

I also want to know whether this problem will be fixed or whether we just have to give it up (at least for the foreseeable future).

• @JuniorSilva30 said in Login for Google Keep extension:

Comment - @Gwen-Dragon

Thanks! That's interesting. It has never occurred to me that it's related to sync. But, I wonder whether Vivaldi can pretend to be a Google Chrome and use Google's infrastructure, whereas its own sync infrastructure shares only information that Google doesn't sync.

• @ryofurue You have to realise this is Google's fault. They force you to browse with Chrome in order to have this extension work. Vivaldi cannot use Google's "infrastructure".

• @luetage said in Login for Google Keep extension:

@ryofurue You have to realise this is Google's fault. They force you to browse with Chrome in order to have this extension work. Vivaldi cannot use Google's "infrastructure".

Do you mean that you need to use a secret (closed, proprietary) API to use Google's infrastructure? Or does Google actively detect what browser is accessing to them and specifically exclude everything except Google Chrome?

What I'm interested to know is not whose fault it is. I'd like to know what makes it impossible for Vivaldi to use Google's infrastructure. Or is it really impossible?

@ryofurue Google is not a charity. :-) They offer a number of cloud-based products and services and for many, you have to obtain an API key (and pay money) in order to use them.

https://developers.google.com/products/

They also support Private APIs (that are not publicly accessible) whose access is also protected.

@ryofurue Just a follow-up... Earlier this year, Google started to lock down access to its Sync services from 3rd-party browsers; see comment #22 in the following bug for more details:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=677887

So, don't even try to get "Google Sync" working in Vivaldi; Google definitely does not support it, and there's also no telling what subtle breakage might occur should you choose to ignore this little safety tip. :-)

• @xyzzy Thank you for your detailed answer. I now understand the situation.

In that case, it would be nice if there is an option (on Google's part or Vivaldi's) that the user can pay for the service. I would pay to get all Google services to work on Vivaldi.

Currently, it bothers me a lot that I cannot create a Google Calendar entry from a Gmail message. The Google Calendar addon doesn't work on Vivaldi, because of the same issue as with Google Keep, I believe, last time I checked.

Google is not a charity

Correct. :-) In a similar vein, the browser is not a hobby to me. I use it as a professional tool in my work. For that reason, I want it to work as smoothly as possible without any hitch and I'm willing to pay for it.

• @ryofurue said in Login for Google Keep extension:

the browser is not a hobby to me. I use it as a professional tool in my work. For that reason, I want it to work as smoothly as possible without any hitch and I'm willing to pay for it.

At this time there is no goal to use Google Sync. First Vivaldi Sync to Vivaldi server will be completed, then to local file system and others like Cloud, FTP, SSH, etc.

The problem are the costs to use Google API for companies. May be in some future Vivaldi will add Google Sync, but that is my personal guess, not a fact.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.