Settings have become confusing and annoying

• The settings have become very confusing with 1.10. Or they were before but I didn't notice until today.
    This is what I get when typing vivaldi://settings into the address bar:
    0_1497559733344_db445c02-ec70-4ff7-87f0-ee6120603808.png
    And this is what I get when typing chrome://settings into the address bar and Vivaldi changes it to vivaldi://settings:
    0_1497559916403_069585d2-da1a-40d4-9dfc-2bb25d77d271.png
    Note the almost identical naming in the address bar. You can even delete the "/", so that both have the same name. Opening both at the same time (in different tabs of course) leads to chaotic behaviour of Vivaldi. You can't access tabs anymore and in the end you have to kill Vivaldi (closing the program did not work, I had to kill it using the system monitor, but the latter might depend on the OS, Debian in my case).

• Access normal settings with shortcut, mouse gesture or button.
    Old chrome settings have a different address now: vivaldi://chrome/settings -- bookmark it or put it in speed dial

• Strange, probably it's a linux build issue; no issues on windows.
    mmh.. the vivaldi://settings called manually was stucked on tab bar, so maybe there's a small issue.
    However, it's better use ALT+P, the button on panel or the menu for the "true" vivaldi settings - and use the other pages only when you need them. No need to call vivaldi settings manually.

chrome://settings redirect to vivaldi://settings but actually is opening the chromium settings page (expected behaviour)
    vivaldi://settings open the tab with actual vivaldi settings (again, as expected).

However, chrome:// and vivaldi:// in some builds leads to the same place; and in others to really different places - like you saw for settings.
    Usually, chrome:// trigger a chromium core page, while vivaldi:// trigger a vivaldi user interface page.

• @luetage said in Settings have become confusing and annoying:

vivaldi://chrome/settings

Congrats, this leads to a third version showing the same vivaldi://settings in the address bar.
    0_1497560731203_89060cd2-4824-421b-b32a-22f02e2840c5.png

• @ghpy Why thank you, but who cares what the address bar says, as long as you can access them reliably? At one point Vivaldi will unite them anyway, until then you will have to live with it.

• Vivaldi Translator

I post a thread about that Material Design issue 3 days ago.
    https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/17440/chrome-vs-vivaldi-conflict-in-address-bar

• @luetage said in Settings have become confusing and annoying:

@ghpy Why thank you, but who cares what the address bar says, as long as you can access them reliably? At one point Vivaldi will unite them anyway, until then you will have to live with it.

Maybe I am dumb but if what I see in the address bar is not what I have to type in to get there, the design is flawed in my opinion, especially if I am forced to type something into the address bar because there are settings that can't be reached using the settings icon.

• The chrome:// vivaldi:// game, it's placed there as a workaround to prevent unavailable pages both in chromium core and in vivaldi interface.

However, if you need particular settings which is not in vivaldi settings while is on chromium page, feel free to ask here.
    Fiddling too much in the chromium core pages can break vivaldi, so it's the only reason such pages aren't exposed by default and as general idea it's better not to edit things from there.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.