Vivaldi is gobblig up my SSD

• Hi, in my work, I use internet browsers extensively. For this reason, my Opera doesn't save any temporary files. It's extremely important because all of my browsers are installed on my rather small SSD drive. Unfortunately, Vivaldi doesn't seem to have similar functionality. At least not yet. I use the browser only incidentally, yet 3GB of my drive have already disappeared. I've got only 4 more left so the issue is getting a little pressing. How do I clear all the little crap Vivaldi had downloaded, and how do I make this little hoarding bastard stop what it's doing? If I move (reinstall) it to some other drive, will it still pollute my system drive?

Yes, it will alway polutte your drive. Chrapium Chromium behaviour.

All downloaded files, including those you just Open, are permanentely stored in your downloads folder.

Unfortunately Vivaldi doesn't have an option to not save cache. And cache handling in Chromium is bad, to be honest it's horrible and I don't even understand why it saves any cache as most of the times it just ignores the cache.

• @Maquabra:

Hi,

in my work, I use internet browsers extensively. For this reason, my Opera doesn't save any temporary files. It's extremely important because all of my browsers are installed on my rather small SSD drive. Unfortunately, Vivaldi doesn't seem to have similar functionality. At least not yet. I use the browser only incidentally, yet 3GB of my drive have already disappeared. I've got only 4 more left so the issue is getting a little pressing.

How do I clear all the little crap Vivaldi had downloaded, and how do I make this little hoarding bastard stop what it's doing?

If I move (reinstall) it to some other drive, will it still pollute my system drive?

The best workaround for this is to use a ramdisk, and put there the windows temp directories, and possibly also the most used programs and the user profile.

Given the non temporary data in RAM are lost, when the pc is turned off, some ramdisk SW provide a way to automate the SSD to RAMDISK copy process at boot time, and the opposite process when the PC is shut down.

And copyng from SSD to RAMDISK and viceversa is really a fast process.

Some Ramdisk SW are also able to use the RAM wasted when a 32bit system OS is used on a machine with more than 3/3.5GB of ram

Then, we will see if Vivaldi can provide the beloved Opera options that are missing in any other Chromium based browser.

• @The_Solutor:

The best workaround for this is to use a ramdisk, and put there the windows temp directories, and possibly also the most used programs and the user profile.

Given the non temporary data in RAM are lost, when the pc is turned off, some ramdisk SW provide a way to automate the SSD to RAMDISK copy process at but time, and the opposite process when the PC is shut down.

And copyng from SSD to RAMDISK and viceversa is really a fast process.

Some Ramdisk SW are also able to use the RAM wasted when a 32bit system OS is used on a machine with more than 3/3.5GB of ram

Then, we will see if Vivaldi can provide the beloved Opera options that are missing in any other Chromium based browser.

The problem is that Vivaldi does not use the Windows TEMP folders. It seems to put everything in
    C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\User Data\Default
    (Win7x64)

• @helsten2:

The problem is that Vivaldi does not use the Windows TEMP folders. It seems to put everything in
    C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\User Data\Default
    (Win7x64)

Sure, but you can use a symbolic link.

The pretty utility, linked below, is a way to easily manage them in windows as in the *nix world.

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html

• @The_Solutor:

The pretty utility linked below is a way to easily manage them easily in windows as in the *nix world.

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html

Thanks! Learning something new every day ;)

• @helsten2:

Thanks!

Your'e welcome ;)

Learning something new every day ;)

Absolutely true. For everyone.

• Woot, already 680mb of cache, wasn't even paying attention to that, totally not friendly on ssd.

• @RRR13:

Some disagree: http://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freaking-petabytes

Well, I can confirm that in since I started to install SSDs (four years ago, more or less) on PCs, mine, of my friends, or of my clients, I haven't seen a single broken SSD.

But cell wearing exist, is not an urban legend, so if one can avoid a lot of writes with little efforts (and with even performance increase, like in the case mentioned above) why shouldn't ?

• @The_Solutor:

This does not work at all over here on Windows 8.1.

When I symlink %V_Home%\Profile\Default\Cache to another drive Vivaldi does delete the symlink and replace it with the local Cache folder during every startup.

When I symlink the entire %V_Home%\Profile to another drive Vivaldi does not even start!

someone

• I am not talking about read/write damage, i am talking about lack of storage on ssd.
    Short story , i don't have petabytes on my ssd, i have only 50gb free left at the moment :) .

Btw, this is only problem if cache continues to grow over time, we will see how it goes.
    Would be nice to have option how many hdd space we give to vivaldi for cache storage.

• Try adding this to the command/shortcut to start up Vivaldi:

–disk-cache-size=0

Seems to work for me, reducing the cache directory to about 20MB, down from just over 100MB. The number at the end can be whatever you want, but I prefer zero.

• @someone:

%V_Home%\Profile\Default\Cache
    %V_Home%\Profile

Can (or has) anyone with a portable installation successfully symlink(ed) one of these/either folders?

someone

• @Sajadi:

But i have to give it a number at the end higher than zero or the cache is still growing.

Good tip! :cheer:

someone

• Free vivaldi cache, type vivaldi://history –> 'clear browsing data', close browser.

Set max cache size flag:
    --disk-cache-size=<amount in="" bytes="">

Assuming you want to limit max cache size to 60MB; 60 x 1024, set the flag in vivaldi's start shortcut:
    C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\Application\vivaldi.exe --disk-cache-size=62914560

To doublecheck both vivaldi's cache current size & max size you may want to use this internal page afterwards:
    vivaldi://net-internals/#httpCache
    look up for 'Current size' and 'Max size'.
    Hope that helps.</amount>

• @someone:

%V_Home%\Profile\Default\Cache
    %V_Home%\Profile

Can (or has) anyone with a portable installation successfully symlink(ed) one of these/either folders?

I did it, but on an All Users installation, not a portable one(*):
    1. I installed Dataram RAMDisk v4.4 and created an 800MB RAMdisk mapped as letter A:
    2. I created a folder called A:\Vivaldi and moved all the content of the folder "C:\Users\MYNAME\AppData\Local\Vivaldi", there, on the RAMdisk
    3. deleted every subfolder and content from "C:\Users\MYNAME\AppData\Local\Vivaldi"
    4. launched cmd and changed working directory to "C:\Users\MYNAME\AppData\Local\Vivaldi"
    5. ran the command mklink /D "User Data" "A:\Vivaldi\User Data"
    6. started Vivaldi normally: it loaded my profile from the RAMdisk

…but the above procedure is long, doesn't provide any kind of replicability and is difficult to manage, from my point of view.

The easiest way to start Vivaldi with a user profile onto a RAM disk, is to copy the "User Data" folder in the RAMdisk and then start vivaldi with the following command line switch:
    –user-data-dir="A:\Vivaldi\User Data", without creating any kind of link. That's it: it works and it's a matter of seconds, no symbolic links required (more switches here).

The advantage of starting Vivaldi with a specific user-data-dir into the command line switch in a shortcut, is that you can have as many Vivaldi Icons on you desktop that start as many different profiles as you want, even simultaneously (more Vivaldi instances running at the same time!), and test a "fresh install", side by side with your full featured one.

newscpq

(*) I had a portable installation, too, but if you move the folder called "profile" on the ramdisk, for some reason, vivaldi then creates a "User Data" folder on the first startup and doesn't "walks through" the link you created to the RAMdisk called "profile". I didn't try to create another symbolic link called "user data", because I abandoned the idea to force a portable version to be broken into pieces and decided to install Vivaldi for all users. I symbolically linked its' "user data" folder to RAM, and it worked.

Anyway, I eventually, just, added the switch in the shortcut, and that's it: Vivaldi loads the profile from RAM.

• Hi newscpq,

@newscpq:

…. then start vivaldi with the following command line switch:
    –user-data-dir="A:\Vivaldi\User Data", without creating any kind of link.

That didn't solve my observation I originally described, but: bingo! Practically, it's a feasible if not equivalent alternative. :)

Thanks for the pointer to the "obvious". I blame it to the wood-for-the-trees phenomenon. Vivaldi is my first real contact with a chrom*-like browser. So, I just begin to see what it means to have back those famous ultra-long startup commands. Luckily, and in contrast to the 80s, my editor has soft line breaks. :lol:

I'm sure Vivaldi will start e new era here.

someone

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.