Can't log into Ubuntu's Forum

• When trying to log into Ubuntu's own forum (https://ubuntuforums.org/), Vivaldi doesn't seem to work. Ubuntu's forum uses something called Single Sign-on (SSO), where there's a single place on Ubuntu to log into all its services. You click "Login with SSO" on the forum to log in, it takes you to a page called Ubuntu One (login.ubuntu.com), then it redirects you back to the forum after you log in. Vivaldi does seem to work on the Ubuntu One page, seemingly logging you in, it's when the page returns back to Ubuntu's forum that you find that you're not actually logged into the forum.

This issue affects both the Windows and Linux snapshot versions of Vivaldi (1.10.867.3 (Official Build) (32-bit)). I've also tried with a fresh profile, but no dice. BTW, this works fine in Firefox.

• Perhaps you have a privacy extension or a Vivaldi setting which blocks Third Party Cookies and/or Referrer?

• Thanks, but I did mention that I tried with a fresh profile.

I do wonder if it's something to do with the forum site having mixed secure content, so Vivaldi is protecting me due to redirection, etc. It does seem puzzling to me.

• @Gort
    I login to SSO then carry on to Ubuntu Forum or Launchpad just find. :confused:

After I return to Ubuntu forum, I need to press that "Login with SSO" again. New page show up asking confirmation to use UbuntuOne/OpenID account. The rest explanatory.

Lauchpad login a bit different, as it's immediately ask about UbuntuOne/OpenID account use after entering my information to UbuntuOne/OpenID login page.

• @dLeon
    Very odd. I've just again tried with a fresh profile (no extensions installed, all default settings, etc), but can't seem to get it to work.

Ubuntu One is fine, that saves the login details and allows you to login. It's when trying to log into Ubuntu's forums that it fails. Clicking the SSO button brings me to the Ubuntu One page, that then allows me to log in there, but when I finally get back to the forum, I'm not logged in. I again try with the SSO button on the forum, but the same failed process happens (logged into Ubuntu One, but not into the forum). That it works for you and not me is one of those frustrating problems.

Thanks for the replies, both of you. :)

• @Gort
    Yeah.
    Actually the situation was opposite for me. With Firefox I get loop in Ubuntu Forum as you described. Only to Lauchpad I could login with SSO.
    I got so fed up, I abandoned Ubuntu Forum since long time ago. So, the fact I could login with Vivaldi actually surprise me.

• @dLeon

Another oddity is that if I try to log into Launchpad, I get an "oops".

Oops!
    Sorry, something just went wrong in Launchpad.

We’ve recorded what happened, and we’ll fix it as soon as >possible. Apologies for the inconvenience.

(Error ID: OOPS-**********************)

(I've edited the oops ID number.)

BTW, this isn't some recent thing like a server issue. I've noticed this issue with Vivaldi for some days, and yet it works fine with Firefox when I try it with that. I decided to report this after trying it out on Linux and finding it still didn't work there, either.

• @Gort
    It's become hard where to point our finger isn't it?
    Honestly all this time I blame Ubuntu One/SSO/OpenID. I'm not sure why you experience the other way around, in two OS.

Maybe @Gwen-Dragon or any Mods could give more insight if this should go as Vivaldi reportbug or not.

• @Gort said in Can't log into Ubuntu's Forum:

When trying to log into Ubuntu's own forum (https://ubuntuforums.org/), Vivaldi doesn't seem to work. Ubuntu's forum uses something called Single Sign-on (SSO), where there's a single place on Ubuntu to log into all its services. You click "Login with SSO" on the forum to log in, it takes you to a page called Ubuntu One (login.ubuntu.com), then it redirects you back to the forum after you log in. Vivaldi does seem to work on the Ubuntu One page, seemingly logging you in, it's when the page returns back to Ubuntu's forum that you find that you're not actually logged into the forum.

This issue affects both the Windows and Linux snapshot versions of Vivaldi (1.10.867.3 (Official Build) (32-bit)). I've also tried with a fresh profile, but no dice. BTW, this works fine in Firefox.

Sorry that i cannot help you with the why, but here's my what...

1. https://ubuntuforums.org/ with my login request took me to Ubuntu One, as you said.
    2. At UO my login was successful, & upon redirect back to the original site, i am still logged in.
    3. Everything seems normal & correct to me. Had i not known of your post, i'd not have suspected anyone might behaving problems with it.
      ...........................................................................................................................................................
      CPU: Quad core Intel Core i7-4790;
      GPU: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller;
      RAM: 32 GB.
      Vivaldi 1.10.867.3 (Official Build) dev (64-bit)

...........................................................................................................................................................

• Both my Vivaldi versions are 32-bit. I notice yours, and possibly the other posters', is 64-bit. I wonder if that might be the issue for the differences, some bug in the 32-bit version (both my OSs are 64-bit)?

Edit: Sorry, I'm wrong with what I wrote above. My Windows Vivaldi is 32-bit, but the one on Ubuntu is 64-bit. I also have Debian on a virtual machine that has the 32-bit version installed, hence the confusion. So, it seems that 32-bit or 64-bit isn't the issue.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.