Site logo in Speed Dial

• Hi!
    I'm new to Vivaldi -
    I was switching browsers just as a way to clean house (all those bookmarks!) I am looking forward to creating lots of notes rather than long lists of bookmarks.
    So-
    Is there a way I can change the thumbnails to use the sites logo?
    I am adding sites I visit most to Speed Dial. Vivaldi recommendations show the sites logo, but the sites I add show a thumbnail of the homepage, or thumbnails of inboxes rather than the email provider's logo.. This gives an appearance of clutter rather than organization.
    The TedTalks link was part of the Vivaldi download the thumbnail is the TedTalks logo.
    As a test I deleted it from Speed Dial went to Ted's homepage and added it again to Speed Dial. After I did this instead of showing Ted's logo it shows a minimized view of the homepage.
    How can I change the thumbnail to the sites logo rather than homepage?

@MarianneK Vivaldi doesn't do "site logos." In the most recent snapshots, and in the soon-to-come new stable version, it does "custom images." These are images you select from you hard drive to substitute for the miniatures that Vivaldi fetches on its own. They can be site or brand logos, or ANYTHING you like or that reminds you of what the bookmark links to. You may play with this by installing the latest snapshot from the Vivaldi Blog, or just wait a few days until the new Stable version comes out and updates your installation.

• Thank you so much for responding!
    I am not sure I asked my question right, let me try again-

When I downloaded Vivaldi Facebook was already added to Speed Dial by Vivaldi. That Facebook thumbnail was the Facebook brand/logo.
    When I add Facebook to Speed Dial that thumbnail shows the Facebook homepage or my timeline not the logo. Why?
    Even with Vivaldi community pages that were on Speed Dial at download if I add them myself the thumbnail changes from a logo created by Vivaldi to the sites homepage or my own profile page.
    So my question is why the difference.
    Tks :-)

• @MarianneK The preinstalled speed dial pages have thumbnails that are loaded from within the application YOURVIVALDIDIRECTORY\Application\VERSION\resources\vivaldi\resources.
    Vivaldi makes screenshots of the sites you put in Speed Dial on any other occasion. You can however change and customize the thumbnails of speed dials in the latest snapshots. But you have to do this yourself, Vivaldi isn't doing it for you.

• @luetage
    Thanks for that.
    I have seen a lot about changing the thumbnails ourselves.
    I'm currently transitioning from Macbook to Ubuntu and could use a step by step if you know of one.

• If you are on snapshot you can do it by clicking on the button on the bottom left of each spee dial -- then an image of your choice gets loaded from your harddrive. In case you are on stable it can be done too, but it's more complicated ---> https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/5110/customising-your-speed-dial-thumbs/50

• @luetage But there must be "more" to it than just that...? I pretty much gave up bothering with custom SD thumbnails [& you might recall from elsewhere that i came deliberately late to this party] once i discovered that neither of my two guinea pigs worked properly:

This is what resulted for Diaspora & Guardian:
    0_1497062373452_upload-34cf9385-4a6f-4c28-b2e1-a51982001003
    ...whilst these are the pics to which each of those is linked:
    0_1497062492694_upload-ef0a9c43-ea16-4285-998a-1031929487e5
    0_1497062553094_upload-c8880ef4-22fc-451c-9715-9ab6edce5f47
    Any suggestions what i did wrong pls?

...........................................................................................................................................................
    CPU: Quad core Intel Core i7-4790;
    GPU: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller;
    RAM: 32 GB.
    Vivaldi 1.10.867.3 (Official Build) dev (64-bit)

...........................................................................................................................................................

• @Steffie Yeah, the dimensions are off. Images you create for speed dial should have an aspect ratio of roughly 4:3. The size of the speed dials is 440x360px. The closer your image is to this ratio, the better the result. If you want to do it cleanly, open a new file in Gimp with these dimensions and copy the wanted icon/screenshot/image into it. Then scale until it fits and fill the remaining background.

@MarianneK These pre-installed logos are stored in a different location (indeed, a different directory entirely) from the thumbnails Vivaldi stores on its own. They are only installed on first run, and only remain so long as you never refresh them. The custom images you can install yourself stay on your hard drive wherever you got them from, and are protected from being accidentally replaced or refreshed.

@Steffie I have been modifying the image or the canvas on mine to be roughly 4:3 or exactly 4.4:3.6

• @luetage
    %-] The Speed Dial is making me unstable!
    ![alt text](image url)
    I have been looking into Snapshot for since your post. Is it anything to do with the image capture at the bottom of the screen?

@MarianneK Snapshot has nothing to do with images. It is a version stream, updated just about weekly, with new versions that have more features than the most recent Stable. It is found at https://vivaldi.com/blog/snapshots/. You should use the "advanced" option in the installer after you download it, and install it "standalone" to a different folder than the one your Stable version is already in.

• No, right click speed dial and click "select custom thumbnail".

alt text

@luetage She can't do that if She's on Stable.

@MarianneK In fact, if you're on Linux, your system will automatically detect that the Snapshot is different from the Stable and install it separately anyway.

• @Ayespy That's what I said in the very first reply, and I also gave a link on how to do it nevertheless :P

• @luetage
    Ya I installed that earlier today and now have 2 Vivaldi browsers installed.
    One called:
    Vivaldi (snapshot)
    :face_palm: :

@MarianneK Then all you have to do is click on the tiny "+" sign at the bottom left of a speed dial thumbnail (visible when you hover the thumb) or right-click the thumbnail to get the dialog to select a custom image.

• @luetage Oh, i see, V doesn't auto-fit. Ok, ta, at least now i get it. This is now perilously close to my faffing-about threshold-limit [which would be immensely higher if custom thumbnails were actually important to me]. :-) At times like this, i feel like exclaiming "Oh, Meatloaf!" [sorry Thomas, teehee].

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.