Getting Vivaldi to retrieve and use the passwords from the Gnome-keyring.

• I'm switching from Chromium to Vivaldi on Ubuntu Gnome 17.04. Chromium saved all passwords in the Gnome-keyring.

How can I get Vivaldi to retrieve my passwords from the keyring (unlocked on startup) and not just store the new passwords in it?

Thank you for the suggestions! :)

• @Lucie Hmmm, well i use a KDE/Plasma5 distro, not Gnome, hence my system uses KWallet not Gnome Keyring. However i'd be a bit shocked if the answer will prove any different for you than in my system, which is, as far as i can understand... that you're out of luck, & furthermore you indeed should be out of luck. The whole point of KWallet / Keyring is security & privacy, via data encryption tied specifically to the pgm that created & "owns" the passwords. As far as these systems are concerned, Chromium & Vivaldi are entirely different independent unrelated pgms, & so IMO it would be a major breach of security if other pgms were allowed access to the secured data of the "owner pgm" [eg, what then would stop a future malicious pgm from also accessing your private data the same way?].

I write this with no technical expertise behind me at all, hence more knowledgeable people here might be able to correct me... but if so, i'd still be shocked for the reason i explained.

Maybe it's time you considered migrating from a browser-based UserID & Password storage, to a freestanding password manager on your pc? I use KeePassX [available in your repos], & it's excellent. There's also KeePass2 which i used to use before KPX, but changed coz the latter is FOSS whilst the former is not, & the former also installs Mono to run, which i don't like for security reasons. Of course there's also a plethora of online managers, but others would need to make recommendations to you on those as i abhor the concept of my vital data being on the cloud.
    ...........................................................................................................................................................
    CPU: Quad core Intel Core i7-4790;
    GPU: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller;
    RAM: 32 GB.
    Vivaldi 1.10.867.3 (Official Build) dev (64-bit)
    ...........................................................................................................................................................

• @Steffie Thanks for your reply!

As you can guess, I have zero technical expertise. What is a pgm?

I see the point you are making. But I am certain that Chromium stores the passwords in the Gnome-keyring. The reason why it's possible is that the Gnome-Keyring is unlocked by login on the computer. As if the login password was the master password, and it only had to be entered once for the keyring to remain unlocked for the whole session. I already heard people say that was not the most secure thing but I didn't give it more thought at the time.

I don't know how the Gnome-keyring would differentiate between an authorized program like Chromium and something else. It also means that the keyring is accessible as soon as your screen remains unlocked.

Now, I will change the settings so that the keyring doesn't unlock automatically when I log in, but instead asks for the master password each time the browser retrieves a password.

I'll see how that changes the behaviour of Vivaldi.

I've tried using KeePass once with randomly generated passwords, when I was even more of a noob than I am now. It resulted in losing access to my reddit account (my own fault), so I am a bit wary now...

• Vivaldi Translator

@Lucie
    I'm not a user of any keyrings. Practically shoot on the dark.

This old post http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/07/chrome-dev-channel-adds-gnome-keyring-support-for-saving-passwords/, mentioned command-line flag --password-store= to force GChrome use specific keyring or automatically.

Be warn,
    While researching chromium gnome-keyring, I got provided to multiple pages of bad issues between two of them.
    I don't know if the mentioned command line flag would work in Vivaldi or blow up your neighbor computer.

Good luck. :smile:

• @Lucie said in Getting Vivaldi to retrieve and use the passwords from the Gnome-keyring.:

What is a pgm?

Sorry, that's my lazy abbreviation... for program / programme.

• @Lucie said in Getting Vivaldi to retrieve and use the passwords from the Gnome-keyring.:

I am certain that Chromium stores the passwords in the Gnome-keyring

In no way am i disputing that, but i suspect i might not have succeeded yet in helping you to correctly understand. Let's try this.

Recalling that i use Wallet [KDE] not Keyring [Gnome], the following pic is of my Wallet [gasp!], but i rather suspect [guess?] that the underlying design logic of Keyring might be similar.
    0_1497061476635_upload-87a73176-66b0-4f05-b325-e7fedffc0ab8

[btw, Wallet seems to mis-identify all chromium-based browsers as "Chrome"; that particular spyware pgm (oops ;-) ) NOT being on my pc]. Beneath those pixelated sections are multi-digit unique numbers, which i suppose to be the encryption keys/identifiers [my jargon is probably inaccurate]. Here's the point though... the green-boxed one is my Chromium, & the orange-boxed one is my Vivaldi-Snapshot... they are separate to each other, NOT all lumped together. Each one has its own unique ID number [pixelated in my pic coz i'm silly] - pls take my word though that they each have different numbers.

Assuming that Keyring operates in somewhat of a similar manner, your challenge would be to "convince" it to stop using unique identifiers & instead share all passwords from a common pool, amongst all [or at least multiple] pgms. Pls don't be offended, but i hope you don't succeed, for the security rationale i explained in my original reply.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.