CPU very hot while load average is very low

• Hello everyone,

Sometimes when I have Vivaldi open, without doing something special, with CPU around 0% usage (idle), my CPU goes from his common 53° (he is pretty every time at 53°, whatever I do on idle) to 60°+. This makes my fan starting and making noise.
    In case I have 2 tabs in a tab group and tile them, the CPU gonna burn up (this is the most reproductible case).

I have this issue since I started using Vivaldi some months ago.
    I noticed my issue on Linux but have not tested for Windows.

Some infos :

[purgator@legendance ~]$ vivaldi-stable --version
    Vivaldi 1.9.818.50 
    [purgator@legendance ~]$ uname -a
    Linux legendance 4.9.8-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Feb 8 18:08:18 CET 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux

CPU : Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU N3540 @ 2.16GHz

You PC seems to have Inttel HD graphics GPU and you do not have a graphics card driver to use hardware acceleration. Then the CPU has to work much.

What is shown after you open vivaldi://gpu? Something red or orange?

• @Gwen-Dragon Just to be clear, I can overload my computer with ton of firefox open and he will never overheat.

I now that I played a bit with hw accel but I don't think it changed anything. I'm up to test whatever you want.

About vivaldi://gpu

about gpu

@Purgator said in CPU very hot while load average is very low:

Just to be clear, I can overload my computer with ton of firefox open and he will never overheat.

Yes, nice compare, but Vivaldi has not the same architecture like Firefox.

About vivaldi://gpu

I see in your screenshot video decode will not be done by GPU but by software and CPU. But that should not let run the CPU on temperature >60°C.

Does this happen on every tab or with special content?

• @Gwen-Dragon It can happen sometimes, I get some extra degrees. But this is really significant when I'm splitting (tile) a tab stack.

I tend to suggest you making a bug report as we have internal testers with Arch Linux.
    But i fear it is not easy to reproduce.

Some interest by me: can you monitor GPU and CPU temperature separately?

• @Gwen-Dragon I don't think so, I'm on Intel HD graphics and i'm pretty sure this chip does not even got a temp monitoring xD
    Anyway, I always monitor my CPU temp and this one is growing up according to my fan usage. I mean my fan activity grow up according to my CPU temp ^^

• Vivaldi Translator

@Purgator
    Playing with this too. (Happen to be bored).

On me.

• Linux/Debian sid amd64.
    • CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz (Old system detected :grin:)
    • nVidia 8600GT. nVidia driver legacy v.340.
    • vdpau drivers. Probably matter, as it's a video decoding/post-proc to GPU.
    • Kernel: Linux mbrealm 4.9.0-3-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 4.9.25-1 (2017-05-02) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    • Openbox WM. No extra background junks.
    • Vivaldi 1.10.856.16 & 1.9.818.50
    • 19 my usual extensions.
    • Hardware accell on.
    • 8 tabs. 1 Youtube, 1 Gmail. Google page have tendency to refresh it self (busy site). None hibernated.
    • What else I could put here.

Temperature most of time up max to only 60 C. On any Core. This's normal even when I still use Gnome or KDE or Plasma.
    Only and only if I start media, like youtube WEBM video the temp start to climb up above 60 C but still bellow 63 C. It return to bellow 60 C after media off. Not tested if I use MP4 Youtube or even Flash.

So, in mind that no other browsers do the same thing on your system, in heating up CPU.

• Probably extensions.
    • Probably the site.
    • Hick up between Vivaldi & system libraries and or kernel.
    • Desktop Environment you use. Eye Candy?
    • BIOS settings. Not sure about this, but my mother board has settings to "tweaks" CPU use.

Ironically, on my system, it's Firefox who occasionally spike to 100% CPU use with one empty tab (it's own blank tab page) with no explain able reason. No need to guess it heat CPU.

The test will be hard to re-produce anywhere else. For the fact, it's Linux with all different settings or things installed & running or not running. Plus it will need identical hardware specs as yours.

• Hey, this looks like a fun game... me too then ;-)

Currently: 1 window, 40 tabs.
    ..............................................................................................
    Tower & Lappy = Maui Linux 17.03 x64 Plasma 5.9.3.
    Vivaldi 1.10.856.16 (Official Build) dev (64-bit)

..............................................................................................

0_1496240852418_upload-9a286951-02cd-4e6c-a543-6f4c5bf6ed8c

0_1496240899638_upload-2a13bd3c-53d6-49f9-b4ef-ae47350d2341

0_1496240994743_upload-5ea9f459-eed5-42a2-82da-247e37ba8196

0_1496241204715_upload-9831f70e-a51a-4173-a9fb-2869ef58aca5

Those memory data are a bit of a cheat -- boosted via zram:

steffie@GA-Z97-HD3:~$ cat /proc/swaps
    Filename                                Type            Size    Used    Priority
    /dev/dm-0                               partition       41942524        0       -1
    /dev/zram0                              partition       2021900 0       5
    /dev/zram1                              partition       2021900 0       5
    /dev/zram2                              partition       2021900 0       5
    /dev/zram3                              partition       2021900 0       5
    /dev/zram4                              partition       2021900 0       5
    /dev/zram5                              partition       2021900 0       5
    /dev/zram6                              partition       2021900 0       5
    /dev/zram7                              partition       2021900 0       5
    steffie@GA-Z97-HD3:~$ 

• Vivaldi Translator

@Steffie
    80 C for Core considered hot isn't it?
    I expect/hope that only momentarily.

I could only achieve this temperature while still in WinXP ~ playing Skyrim with bunch of add ons. Skyrim or Bethesda games overall, famous for super bad game engine.
    Games maniac will advice to put more powerful fan.

• The most answer i get the best it is. But you guys have not get my problem xD

Look at this, it's easy :

Step 1
    cpu usage : 0%
    cpu temp : 53°C
    Launch Vivaldi, open 2 tabs, stack them and tile tab stack.
    Wait a minute.

Step 2
    cpu temp : 60°C

@dLeon said in CPU very hot while load average is very low:

@Steffie
    80 C for Core considered hot isn't it?

But Steffie's PC CPU core has not 80°C!!!! That is the limit for warnings.
    It has around 30°C.

• @Gwen-Dragon Right, it's 30°C XDDD

• Vivaldi Translator

@Gwen-Dragon
    Oh... :laughing:
    I read it wrong.

@Purgator said in CPU very hot while load average is very low:

Step 1
    cpu temp : 53°C
    Launch Vivaldi, open 2 tabs, stack them and tile tab stack.
    Wait a minute.
    Step 2
    cpu temp : 60°C

Yes, if the CPU has nothing to do, may be the GPU has and this will increase the temperature.
    That is a problem with Intel HD Graphics and Linux driver and Vivaldi.
    You can see in your screenshot that the Chromium code has issues with Intel GPUs.

/EDIT:
    I do not know if that Hokuspokus and my best wishes will help
    https://labs.gwendragon.de/blog/Web/Browser/Vivaldi/slow-or-flickering-video-with-vivaldi-on-linux

• Vivaldi Translator

@Purgator
    From that steps I could tell, even if Vivaldi didn't do anything after step 1, it manage to heat the CPU. I say, it same to how I understand your previous post.

My (over big) post just proof of concept when I make Vivaldi actually do anything more serious.

• @Gwen-Dragon said in CPU very hot while load average is very low:

But Steffie's PC CPU core has not 80°C!!!! That is the limit for warnings.
    It has around 30°C.

Exactly! Thank you for correctly recognising that. I was about to reply directly to @dLeon to explain not to worry on my behalf, teehee. My intention in posting all my pics n stuff was NOT to indicate that i also had a high-temperature problem with/from Vivaldi, but in fact to confirm the exact opposite. I feel sorry for the OP, but somehow i am lucky in this regard in that V is not giving my pc a bad time... indeed, V is kind enough to my pc, & gives ME a very good time, teehee.

FYI @dLeon, because i have a terrible memory, last year or early this year [see!... i cannot even remember when!!] i decided to edit my psensor GUI settings to incorporate the OEM temperature specs that i could discover, so that anytime i check the status via that SysTray widget, i can see instantly what the current data are, vs the allowable limits, unburdening me of ever again struggling to try to recall the values. Somehow i need to upgrade my biological RAM specs... ;-)

• Vivaldi Translator

@Steffie
    I got wary to the thread about temperature. More when I saw >70 C.
    I managed to burn one of my tower power supply just two months ago.

• Assuming the problem is from intel graphics, I may try to change the accel method BUT... I already set it to improve the global system stability, I won't play with it right now for my web browser ^^.

BTW, if i have some accurate test, i will post them here.

@Purgator I understand you want to have your optimization.
    But problems are more on intel graphics drivers side. Why? I saw strange problems with Chromium and Opera 12, too.
    Be sure, on one office PC with Linux the Intel driver drove me crazy resulting in slow performance or faulty video display. Sometimes compiling own kernel and driver helped.
    As you see: not always a Vivaldi-only fault.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.