Dreadful colours in UI

• I sometimes wondered, why websites tend to use not fully saturated font colours, but their greyish counterparts, which makes reading more difficult (I imagine for people with disabilities, much more difficult). Especially that LCD in some very cheap laptops exacerbate this problem. I figured that it is the ads - for the ad to be more visible, the interesting text must be "washed out". But then comes Vivaldi - why on Earth you use the same "washed out" colours for UI as the web advertisers is beyond me? I suspect it is global trend which you won't stop following, but I think you should at least consider enabling user customization in that area. If I want black font (and I mean RGB=[0,0,0]) for UI, and not some grey one, I should be able to get it without "hacking" binary (that is how I forced old Opera to use proper colours in M2).

• Well, I only meant fonts. Colour of tabs and background of buttons is OK to me. But I dread grey fonts (if they were so great, books would be printed in grey :) ).
    And I agree with you that black webpage with light font on it is strenuous to the eyes and not a way to go… :)

• @osmin:

Well, I only meant fonts. Colour of tabs and background of buttons is OK to me. But I dread grey fonts (if they were so great, books would be printed in grey :) ).
    And I agree with you that black webpage with light font on it is strenuous to the eyes and not a way to go… :)

I agree that skinning is best, but I have to comment on your last point - I thought it was a proven fact (not just my subjective opinion) that dark background with light text is the best option for long-term screen reading! It's certainly much more pleasant for me to do my editing in Notepad++ with a theme like that, and I always swap colours when terminal emulators use black on white since that hurts my eyes pretty quickly!

I also loved reading e-books at night with my old Galaxy S set to black background with a dark orange font - the OLED screen meant it was beautifully clear yet not at all bright, even with the bedroom light switched off. But if you try surfing the net at night it's all horrible glare with a white-blue light which has been proven to disturb peoples' sleep patterns…

• @mossman:

I agree that skinning is best, but I have to comment on your last point - I thought it was a proven fact (not just my subjective opinion) that dark background with light text is the best option for long-term screen reading!

Well, maybe it is just me, but after a while of reading such page (for example http://www.openrce.org/ ), when I turn my eyes on the (white) wall, some of it stays with me - like black lines in places where there was text.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afterimage

• Good color combinations are depending from a lot of variables.

Black (or dark gray) on white is surely less fatiguing when the ambient light is strong and in reflective devices (paper, e-paper, some older LCDs) instead a combination (of white, light gray, amber on black or dark gray) is surely better suited to read ebooks on light emitting devices (like modern high contrast LCDs, EL displays and the old CRTs), and in low ambient light condition.

This if the whole page is in the same color (typical example are the ebooks).

Web browsing is more complicated, the contrast of the external elements other than the text must be take in account…

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.