search in addressbar via nicknames not working in 1.9.818.50 (Stable channel) (64-bit)

• can anybody confirm this (or is there a solution?): using nicknames for search in the addressbar like,

w vivaldi

for searching 'vivaldi' in wikipedia does not longer work after upgrading from 1.8 to 1.9.818.50. observed behaviour:

trying to type the above ('w vivaldi') leads to the 'w' and a blank showing up. all further keystrokes/characters are only flickering shortly but are not printed in the addess bar. no search is executed. trying to backspace to beginning of line neither works (cannot delete the 'w') menus no longer pop up. in short: browser stops working correctly at this point... this is with MacOS 10.12.

@jvdh I don't have Vivaldi 1.9.818.50 installed at the moment but it works for me in the v1.10.845.3 snapshot.

I'm just wondering what could have triggered this... did you customize Vivaldi by e.g. adding search engines? Not that this should have broken search...

You can also try resetting search with the Restore Defaults button.

Thanks...

• @xyzzy said in search in addressbar via nicknames not working in 1.9.818.50 (Stable channel) (64-bit):

@jvdh I don't have Vivaldi 1.9.818.50 installed at the moment but it works for me in the v1.10.845.3 snapshot.
    I'm just wondering what could have triggered this... did you customize Vivaldi by e.g. adding search engines? Not that this should have broken search...
    You can also try resetting search with the Restore Defaults button.

thanks a lot for replying. in answer to your question: yes, indeed, I had customized the list of search engines and nicknames. I did not even consider that this might trigger misbehaviour. by the way: I now also downloaded the last v1.10 snapshot: same (broken) behaviour.

I then actually followed your advise and did a "Restore Defaults" and this, in fact, restored sane behaviour, i.e. nicknames and search in address bar is working again.

bottom line: problem solved for me (presuming that if I now customize the search engines again it will not break again...) but is sure looks like a bug in the first place...

@jvdh That's not good... Please file a bug report at https://vivaldi.com/bugreport/

Thanks!

• @xyzzy

done ...

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.