so slow since last update

• since last update Vivaldi became so slow it's almost unusable. I thought it was perhaps my network connection, but websites that hardly move in Vivaldi, fly i Waterfox. where can I find/download the previous version?

• The previous version should still be in your trash. It could potentially lead to problems with your profile though, if you want to keep your current one.

@swavek Are all web sites slow or just some in particular? Also, what extensions are you using and have you made any other configuration changes (e.g. enabling/changing flags) outside of the standard Vivaldi preferences/settings?

• @xyzzy not sure, but all the same those "slow" load normally in Waterfox (I have these two open each in its own Space and use them for different websites). After I read the replies above, I checked and Vivaldi worked fine. I felt kind of stupid, but when I returned to my comuper a few hours later, it was slow again, and even when it's not too bad (whatever it means), Youtube films won't play, I just get the eternal beachball, while when I paste such a link into Waterfox, it plays just fine. But I just tried a YT film now, and it plays. So I have no idea what's going on, and why, it goes forth and back, for no apparent reason.

• @xyzzy and no, I did not made any changes to preferences, nor did I install any extensions, except perhaps for such that work across the board, like Flash.

@swavek Thanks for that info. There are a lot of things that could make Vivaldi slow and I was trying to zero in on whether it was due to something getting corrupted in the Vivaldi configuration files, a problematic extension, a weird hardware acceleration-related issue, lots of open tabs, 18 months of browser history that never got cleaned out, or a networking issue...

The good news is that on your system, Vivaldi can appear to run fast, so it's probably not a problem with your Vivaldi profile, the place where Vivaldi stores its configuration and state data. That a "fast" website loads slowly a few hours later is equally telling, and your initial hypothesis that this might a networking issue could be right on.

Another member of the community reported a similar issue a few weeks ago in this thread:

https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/16798/websites-are-loading-slow

Does this seem to be the same kind of "slowness" that you're running into? I also posted some links to test for IPv4/IPv6 connectivity issues at the bottom of the thread. Perhaps you could give them a try.

Best of luck with your troubleshooting.

• It has been slow since 1.4 or 1.5. The longer it runs, the slower it gets. For me the biggest problem is Google sheets as I use them a lot. Fresh Vivaldi opens and renders them instantaneously. After several hours of running it takes 10-20 seconds until the worksheet is available for interaction. In 90% of cases (and it became a habit) I find it takes a lot less time to force-quit the damn thing (after waiting for 4-5secs) and start again - it will open all the same tabs and will load a worksheet in 1sec.

@alik55 The "slowness" in your case sure sounds like a "memory leak" where Vivaldi, over time, requests chunks of memory to do its work but never frees it up, until the system eventually gets totally bogged down. Quitting the browser frees up the memory that had been allocated and everything runs fast again when you relaunch.

Here's an interesting "memory leak" bug that the Chromium team has been working on... and the fix will eventually come in the form of an updated graphics driver from Apple:
    "Chrome leaks 40+GB of GPU memory."
    https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=713854

And there are a bunch more like it:
    https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=label:Hotlist=MemoryInfra

Are you also a Chrome/Chromium user and if so, are you experiencing the same issue in that browser too?

Memory leaks can also be caused by buggy web apps or extension-related issues, or a bunch of factors in combination.

Searching the web for google sheets memory leak also returns lots of results but many of them are old posts.

• I think it is not a memory leak. The system is not swapping. Instead 100% CPU usage by Vivaldi is observed for no good reason and Vivaldi becomes totaly unresponsive, not just one tab. I do not use Chrome on regular basis to compare. This was not a problem few versions ago and then all of a sudden it started happening after an update and on all Macs I use.

@alik55 I understand your frustration. Looking back at your previous posts, I can see that this has been an issue for quite a while. I'm also somewhat at a loss because the Vivaldi forums also haven't been inundated with "Google Docs are bringing Vivaldi to its knees" problem reports either.

If you can accomplish any of the following, it would be helpful:

1. Try replicating your problem with a clean Chrome install
    2. If the problem doesn't replicate, try replicating with Chrome and the extensions that you're currently using in Vivaldi
    3. Replicate the problem with a fresh Vivaldi (stable channel) install, a clean profile and default settings
    4. If that works fine too, install your Vivaldi extensions one by one...

Obviously, the best scenario is if you can replicate the problem with case #1. The problem would clearly be in Google's code and you can file a bug with them to get it fixed.

You also mentioned Vivaldi 1.5 being problematic... that happened to be a notable release (for all the wrong reasons) because it took them ages to get a working Mac snapshot build out the door. As a result, that version only got minimal public testing prior to release. It also introduced a number of (Mac-specifc?) glitches that still haven't been fixed to this day.

Hopefully this isn't a Vivaldi-specific issue but if it is, we (the Vivaldi community) are here to provide further assistance in any way that we can.

Edit: One more thing... If you can possibly avoid it, DO NOT force-quit Vivaldi because you run the huge risk of corrupting databases and state data in your profile. You can also damage your Vivaldi profile by either downgrading Vivaldi or moving back and forth between the Stable and Snapshot releases.

• @xyzzy Thank you for all the tips. I deleted ~/Library/Application Support/Vivaldi folder and then copied Bookmarks, Cookies, Login Data, Preferences, and similar files from the old ~/Library/Application Support/Vivaldi/Default folder into the new one. Tested it for a day and it seems a lot better with Google Sheets. The old Default folder size was 300+MB, the new one is 60MB.

@alik55 I'm really glad to hear that Vivaldi is working properly once again. Now that you've cleaned your profile, I'd make a backup... just in case! :-)

Cheers!

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.