auto-populate speed dial with most used websites?

• i'm used to other browsers behavior of just putting in sites i use most into the default new tab/page. is there a way to get speed dial to just analyze what sites i've been going to most and put those in there?

i did a brief search and no one else seemed to care about this, which i found surprising, or i just didn't search hard enough.

@zxcvb The reason you may not have found that is that many users pretty much hate that behavior, and want speed dials to be what they, not a browser algorithm, have assigned. Not sure why Google thought that was a good idea, but it is the way Chromium and Chrome behave and it has been ever since they stole the concept of "speed dial" from Olde Opera and "improved" it.

Vivaldi may someday offer an option to do it the Chrome way, but assigning your own dials was the way Jon's (founder of both Olde Opera and of Vivaldi) team designed speed dial when they invented it, and so it's the way Vivaldi's speed dial works now. The other option may be made available some day.

• One thing that does make sense is that if you select "Add Bookmark to Speed Dial," Vivaldi analyses your browsing history to make suggestions.

The lack of thumbnails is probably a bug.

• i'm a firefox and pale moon user as well, and they do the same thing as chrome. i never would have set those bookmarks on my own, but when i see them suddenly appear and find them useful, i am refreshed by that. when i open a new tab in vivaldi and see booking.com and expedia i am not that thrilled.

thanks for showing me that when you add bookmarks they offer suggestions tho, i was never going to make my own speed dial, but now i might try it after i get some more browsing habits logged.

the thing is i don't know what sites i go to most consciously, but when i see a magical list that appears of them i'm like, oh yea cool.

@zxcvb The default shortcuts you see in speed dial on Vivaldi when you first install it, are revenue partners. letting them have those bookmarks in speed dial is part of how Vivaldi earns some income to defray Jon's costs in keeping the doors open. You may keep them or delete them, but that's why they're there.

• @Ayespy said in auto-populate speed dial with most used websites?:

The reason you may not have found that is that many users pretty much hate that behaviour, and want speed dials to be what they, not a browser algorithm, have assigned

This!

• @zxcvb said in auto-populate speed dial with most used websites?:

i did a brief search and no one else seemed to care about this.

If you search the Feature Requests thread, you will find that it's already there. At least two people want this, plus you makes three.

@skar said in Feature requests for 1.9 / 1.10:

Option for auto-generated Speed Dial shortcuts based on usage frequency."

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.