Creating a new window when calling the Vivaldi binary

• By default, if the Vivaldi binary is called with an argument (i.e. a URL) while an existing session exists, a new tab is opened in that session. I'd prefer a new window to open instead, and I've found that the --new-window option, when passed to the Vivaldi binary, does this.

However, there are two downsides: first, the existing Vivaldi window is focused. Second, the new window is not created at the “normal” size, that is, it's a different size than the existing window.

If the Vivaldi binary is called with no arguments, it acts as I would expect: a new window is created at the proper size, and any existing windows are not focused.

I don't know if this is really a bug, but it seems to be incorrect behavior to me. Focusing the window means that if I'm on a different desktop from my existing Vivaldi session, I'm forcibly taken to the other desktop first, which is not where I wanted my window. And the window being a different size really seems to be a bug. I feel that there should be no difference between calling the binary with no arguments (which creates a new window on the current desktop, no focus stealing), and calling the binary with --new-window and a URL.

This happens on both 1.9.181.49 and 1.10.845.3 and I've seen it on both Linux and Windows.

A quick way to reproduce on Windows: create a new maximized Vivaldi session. Then find vivaldi.exe (In my case it's C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\Application\vivaldi.exe); call it asvivaldi.exe --new-window http://example.com/. At least in my case, it will open a new, non-maximized window, after first focusing the existing maximized window.

It's possible I'm missing a simple option to get this to behave “properly”; but if not, I think this might be considered a bug, or at least a misfeature.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.