Clear Private Data v1.8 - 1.10 not working properly

• @Aviv said in 1.8.770.56 clear private data question:

It looks like the latest update fixes the clear private data problem where the user has to manually tick about 10 checkbox option. But I noticed that some files in the use profile directory (/Users/User/Appdata/.../Default) like "History*", "Visted Links" do not erase user data after using the clear private data option.
    Those files are in the sqlite format so some strings are readable if you open them in a text editor.

My other thread got locked.
    It still doesn't work in 1.9 and I've reported a bug.

Threads shouldn't be locked unnecessarily since it will just create more clutter when people can't update their findings.

//MODEDIT: Added content from old thread.

• 1.8 Stable? That is not up-to-date.

Please check 1.9 Stable.

And did you have checked 1.10 Snapshot, it got some fixes related to browser data clearing.

And which relevant user data can you find in your mentioned files after clearing browser data?
    Please tell me.

• I was already on 1.9 stable before I created this thread. Your modedit on my initial post makes it seem like I am still on 1.8 which is not the case. My thread that got locked was when 1.8 was the latest stable version.

The names of visited websites will be in at least one of the files I mentioned.

• @Aviv
    I think it's Chromium weakness.
    Clearing History does leave some stuff around, site thumbnail plus its address for example.
    Visit "vivaldi://thumbnails/" (chrome://thumbnails/) after you do clear all history either in Chromium/Chrome or Vivaldi. The data reside in SQLITE file "Top Sites". We need to manually delete that file to clean it.

While at it, Vivaldi own "Clear Private Data" option "Password" doesn't clear passwords since (maybe) version 1.9. While "vivaldi://chrome/settings/clearBrowserData" do its jobs as suppose to be.

Vivaldi 1.10.845.3
    Linux/Debian sid amd64

• Just to be clear, I wasn't just referring to the Top Sites*, Login Data* files with this clear private data problem.

Some files which probably should be erased after using the clear private data function are Cookies*, History*, Visited Links, Web Data.

• If you invoke the chromium native clear private data dialog via entering vivaldi://chrome/settings/clearBrowserData into address bar it will tell you why - see screenshot: https://turbomrak.ddns.net/s/wxjc3mYuQQxoR7S

I guess invoking the same window via vivaldi only reuses the dialog options without the notice at bottom.

• @sammael
    Ugh, you remind me why I unlikely touch Chromium or its children before my Vivaldi era.

I like to see what Vivaldi will do in future with all of this.
    I did request some kind of cleaner/blocker for lingering site thumbnails in feature request thread. Pretty darn it if there was another.

• I tested and found that Chrome 59.0.3071 does not have this issue of uncleared data apart from the possible thumbnails problem mentioned above.

An example of the issue in Vivaldi 1.10 stable -
    The History file still contains fragments after clear private data (Chrome does not have this issue):
    History file

The Top Sites file (Chrome also does not leave data behind after using its own clear private data option):
    alt text

• @Aviv If you found a bug, please report the issue to the developers to fix it.

How to do a bugreport for Vivaldi
    Report each bug seperately at https://vivaldi.com/bugreport/
    Describe the issue as precise as you can.
    Add some information about extensions you use.
    Add information about the operating system and version you use.
    if you have problems with video or audio give us information about your installed codecs and graphics card/GPU.
    Add a link to a testpage where the issue comes up and can be tested.
    After reporting the issue, you will receive a confirmation mail from the bugtracker.
    In a reply to this mail you can add more information and files (like screenshots or testcases) as attachments and it will be added automatically to bug report.
    If you have questions about the bug please ask in forum first and do not forget to post the VB-XXXXX bug number (you can find it in confirmation mail).

Thanks in advance for helping us to make Vivaldi better!

• @Gwen-Dragon
    I already created a bugreport for this issue about a month ago. Is there a way to update the bugreport with new findings?

• @Aviv Reply to the email that you received for the bug report.

• @Aviv said in Clear Private Data v1.8 - 1.10 not working properly:

Is there a way to update the bugreport with new findings?

Reply to the mail you got from the bugreport you made, add the new information as text and/or attachments.
    Your mail content will be added to the bug tracker entry automatically.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.