long delay before opening web pages



  • I've checked all the posts on here and elsewhere, and nobody has had an answer that works so far.
    Some site load fine one time, but the next it takes way more than 10 seconds .
    I've tried closing all extensions - didn't help
    I deleted the profile and started fresh - nope
    uninstalled-reinstalled - no change

    Simply not acceptable that this is still happening, folks.

    Vivaldi 1.9.818.50 (Stable channel) (64-bit)
    Revision 31248f6d63af73f83674f14779c07f98d43acc5c
    OS Linux


  • Moderator

    @dustpuppy Doesn't happen here, ever. What site?



  • My start page is Duckduckgo, and it loads fine. But whatever the next bookmark I click, it can take forever, rarely less than 10 seconds. I've run several of these slow responder sites through Pingdom and WebsiteOptimization, but that hasn't really helped me much. I could copy that for you if it would help.
    I've even turned off IPv6 to no avail.
    I'm at my wit's end here, and am at the point of giving up on Vivaldi, even though I like everything else. This delay is just too frustrating.
    Any further suggestions most welcome.



  • @dustpuppy Well, I don't know how Vivaldi is running under Linux, but you know yourself that new software doesn't do well there most of the time. It took Firefox a long time to get a decent Linux version, at least in my eyes. What I do know is that Vivaldi recommends 32-bit install for Windows, maybe try that for Linux as well.

    Also, Vivaldi has a problem with a lot of bookmarks. You said you reset your profile and so on, but did you import everything before you started testing? Over a few thousand bookmarks and Vivaldi goes to hell. Shouldn't have anything to do with sites loading, though, only the use of Quick Command/Bookmark tab.

    I don't know, I think we need more info from you if you really want help. Maybe the devs can take a look at a few of the logs. Sounds like a really weird problem, some sites loading fine, others don't. I would say extensions, of course, but you said you tried without them.



  • Linux has gotten pretty good - I had Vivaldi on a different box a while back and had no issues like this. I didn't know about the 32-bit recommendation, this is 64-bit.

    I have Windows 7 Pro 64bit in a VBox VM on here. I never thought of testing Vivaldi on it, because it's only there for iTunes for this iPod I have.

    So I put Vivaldi 32bit on it, as you suggested, , starting up the browser, then copied in one of the latest problem URLs into the address line and enter. Closed and opened it, tried various numbers of sites in a row, all several times.

    No issues. None.

    So this now seems to be a linux issue, probably from an update, do you think? Either Mint or Vivaldi, doesn't matter. So I'll shall be patient for a while and see what happens with coming updates., and I think I'll try 32-bit here.

    Thanks, Werkaster! :thumbsup:



  • Problem apparently solved -

    32-bit install running on 64-bit Linux Mint 18.1 - just the ticket!

    Wonderful!



  • I have the problem myself, on openSUSE.
    Vivaldi 1.10.845.3, 64 bit.
    I started with a fresh profile a few days ago exactly for this problem, but I still have it.
    I'll try with the 32bit version and see what happens.

    You (Vivaldi dev team) should really get out a working 64bit version though.

    TIA
    Cris


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.