Secure Site Connect Issue

• The problem does not only occur when using Vivaldi in Private Windows mode. I keep getting this error: Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.google.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

Once this happens, it doesn't matter what site it I try and go to, Netflix, DirectTV, Cnet.com, HGTV, my email, my homepage, anything..I still get the error. I even get a msg telling me I have "No Internet Connection" even when I have one. It will not go away if I shutdown the browser, or even uninstall and reinstall it. It eventually clears up and I can surf again, but if I go back to the web site the problem occurred on, the same cycle starts up again. It happens on ads within websites, anything that displays video. The occurrence of this has increased in frequency after 1.8x version. 0_1495171876141_vivaldi-error-bug.jpg (I doubt that image loaded). I get that little ugly red symbol that occurs when Vivaldi pages don't load .

• hello gbt20317
    That is tony. oh my, you called tony ugly and problem.
    I am undecided preference between the ads or the Could not connect message. i like the ads to be in a language i do not understand.
    did you wish to see the ads? not wanting to minimise your invasion does it reduce the browser speed or enjoyment of page content?

• @gbt20317 Please tell us about:

• Vivaldi version
    • Windows version
    • Vivaldi extensions
    • security tools on Windows
    • used proxy
    • Windows up-to-date
    • used router/WLAN
    • used DNS settings

Perhaps the certificate store of Vivaldi is not valid.
    Please update Vivaldi internal components:

• Open vivaldi://components
    • Hit on all buttons Check for Update

• @i_ri Ha-Ha! So it's name is Tony, ha-ha! My apologies. Ofcourse most of the ads I don't care about, but this problem is popping up on ads as well as websites like youtube and others that I should have no problems linking to. It's possible it's not all a Vivaldi issue. I do try to insure my PC is updated with latest OS updates and video drivers, etc. Sometimes this things can create issues as well.

• @Gwen-Dragon said in Secure Site Connect Issue:

Vivaldi version - 1.10.845.3 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    Windows version - v.10 x64
    Vivaldi extensions - none added
    security tools on Windows - Emsisoft Internet Security
    used proxy - no proxy used
    Windows up-to-date - yes
    used router/WLAN - router is TRENDnet VDSL2/ADSL2+ with Centurylink as the ISP.
    used DNS settings - I use a utility called OpenDNS and it's DNS Server assignments are 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220
    Also I did what you suggested concerning Vivaldi Components, I clicked the update button and every one of them showed status "Not Updated". But there's nothing on that page to initiate updating anything.

• @gbt20317 said in Secure Site Connect Issue:

Emsisoft Internet Security

If Emsisoft (i do not know the programs feature) scans SSL connections, that may cause the problem.

Lt's check the certificate:

• With Vivaldi go to google.com
    • Hit F12
    • Select tab Security
    • Hit button View Certificate
    • Windows certificate window opens

Now what is shown for certificate in tab Details (sorry i cant remember the term of english Windows UI )

• for Serial number?
      I have ā€Ž22 43 16 9f 81 f5 20 a8
    • and for Fingerprint
      I have ā€Ždc 5a 74 a6 05 1c cb 4f e8 c0 a8 d8 b7 3d f9 66 08 75 3d 2b

• @Gwen-Dragon I have what u have in certificate details.
    UPDATE:
    I decided to try uninstalling Vivaldi (my current version noted earlier) and reinstall it with the oldest stable version I still had saved, ver. 1.8.770.50 (Stable channel) (64-bit). Guess what, the issue went away. I can't say 100% because I'm pretty sure the issue started occuring more frequently when I installed some revision of 1.8x. But testing on sites I know v.1.9x and 1.10x would not load..so far they are loading again. I also (prior to doing that), disabled all my Anitvirus and tested it (with the current Vivaldi version) and it still gave me the same error condition. I want to use the newer version because it does have features I like, but I can't surf with it installed!!!

• @gbt20317 I am sorry, i cant reproduce your problem on Windows 10 x64 with 1.10.845.3 (64-bit).

• Please try to reset your Vivaldi browser profile as described at https://help.vivaldi.com/article/full-reset-of-vivaldi/.

• @Gwen-Dragon I've done the Reset process you suggested. This does appear to have improved this issues occurrence for most of the sites I was getting the error on. I didn't mention but the problem was occurring on my desktop and Laptop computer. Both now show improvement. Thank you for helping me on this problem. I have no idea why forum responses keep generating duplicate entries.

• @gbt20317 Nice to hear the cleaning of browser profile worked.

I cant see, that the forum does generate two posts. Please catch with Vivaldi selected screenshot feature such page and upload the image with the cloud button here.

• @Gwen-Dragon I don't see the duplicates anymore either, maybe it was just me. Thanks again for the help.

• Bug VB-28696 is closed as it can not be reproduced by internal testers.

• @Gwen-Dragon Eventho you've closed this, it's still happening. Started re-occurring tonight. So the fact you can't reproduce it, won't help me. I've been using Vivalvi since it was 1st introduced. I loved the browser and the time and effort that was going into making a quality product that was truly useful with a team of people who were responsive to users. You have helped and I am grateful. But if this issue isn't going to be examined further, I'm either stuck at v.8 Stable or going back to MS Edge, neither is my preference, so yeah, I'm not happy. And it's fortunate that I keep a version stored or otherwise I wouldn't be able to use this browser anymore and be satisfied.
    0_1495684590564_Connection Not Private.png

@gbt20317: The fact that it cannot be reproduced is indicative of it being something with your profile or your setup, not the code of the browser itself.

• Perhaps Emsisoft Internet Security produces problems with SSL connections.
    Please exclude the monitoring/scan/filtering of SSL connections.

Which Windows version do you have? Start winver.exe to see the version.
    Is it up-to-date?

• @Gwen-Dragon said in Secure Site Connect Issue:

winver.exe

My desktop OS is Windows 10 Pro ver. is 1607 (OS Build 14393.1198). I cannot dispell your conclusion that the problem could be in my profile but reservation about it being setup issue on both my PC and Laptop. I've been using Emsisoft Security for 3 years, Windows 10 for the last 2, and Vivaldi since it was introduced plus Microsoft's browsers without connect issues to this degree til after v.1.8. I did try running with Emsisosft shutdown, the problem still persisted so I'm a bit skeptical this issue is related to what Emsisoft is doing. And again, the same problem appeared on my Acer laptop which runs Windows 10 Home. The only major software changes I've made over time have been updates to my desktop video driver, currently v.17.5.1 for AMD Radeon R7 200 series adapter and ofcourse Vivaldi updates. Issue did appear resolved after you told me to reset Vivaldi, it worked for a few days. Then when on Youtube, last nite, the issue returned. But any site with any type of video embedded gets affected. The browser will not work for 10-15 minutes after which I can again access websites. But once it's occurred, this pattern continues off/on the longer I'm using the browser. Dumping my Vivaldi profile setup every few days is simply not an option for usability. Perhaps something within my profile as you mentioned may be the cause but I don't know what that would be. I've reloaded v.1.8 stable and will run with it for a few days. However, sites with video embedded in banners or ad windows won't play those videos under 1.8 stable (only see Tony's face). One other thing I remembered..in SETTINGS, there was a Network config option with a Proxy Settings option under it. It's not in the latter versions of Vivaldi (not that I can find under Settings anyway), but at the 1st occurrences of websites not loading Id gt a msg to check my Proxy setting (it may not have been the exact same screen but had the same effect). I would have to chk the proxy setting and under the Internet Properties|LAN Settings window I had to select the box for Automatically Detect Settings. I never change that setting in the OS but Vivaldi would stop loading websites and when I'd go to it, it would be unchecked or "Proxy" would be selected. That stopped happening and this Secure Site error replaced it after that option in Settings wasn't there anymore. Don't know if that's of any help. Anyway, for me this problem sucks.

• @gbt20317 I believe the suggestion from @Gwen-Dragon to identify the certificate that Vivaldi gets will point to the problem, I'm guessing it's a man-in-the-middle problem.

Maybe even export the certificate (View Certificate > Details > Copy to File) and attach it here.

• @Dantesoft What certificate, from where? Here's what I've come up with. 0_1496081652202_Proxy setting under Network.png
    I mentioned this in my last post. After doing some thinking, I recall that even before update 1.8x stable I was getting errors (tho infrequently) of not linking to websites. This screenshot shows the setting that I changed when that would happen (I don't find it in the lastest Vivaldi release). As you may note, AUTOMATICALLY DETECT SETTINGS is checked. Whenever I get an Security error, this proxy setting is unchecked and in most cases the Manual Proxy Server box is checked. Although in the cases before the Secure Connect error screen error, I still would get a connection error of some type. I don't manually change this setting so what's in Vivaldi that does? I removed Vivaldi again and any Registry entries of it as well. Prior to Reinstalling Vivaldi, I tested MS Edge at sites where I've been getting this problem and encountered no issue. Reinstalled Vivaldi,1.9 Stable and immediately the error returned and the AUTOMATICALLY DETECT SETTINGS check box was unchecked. I've also done a few searches on the net and I'm not stand-alone in seeing the occurrence of this error. Others, using Chrome and Vivaldi have been encountering it as well. Some post do refer to a certificate problem but I'm not a software guy, I do hardware. So telling me I got a bad certificates is like saying OK, go fly a that AA 747 Passenger Jet. It's greek to me. I do know that when that LAN setting gets disabled while I'm using Vivaldi, my web pages don't load..and that's been happening as I now recall from awhile back but now is much worse. I can see how this issue is reproducible, so I believe a software tech who works with the code should be able to do so as well instead of just writing it off as a config issue on my PC.

• I never saw that Vivaldi changed the Windows 10 system's proxy.

Must be some software you installed or malware on your Windows.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.