Why So Many Instances of Vivaldi Running

• Hi All,
    I'm curious as to why Vivaldi needs a new instance of itself for each tab and extension.? With 5 open tabs and 5 pinned tabs there is 11 instances of Vivaldi running. This is chewing up my memory making it extremely difficult to multitask. Firefox has one instance per window? Im really enjoying Vivaldi but With this much memory consumption and cpu usage I have to wait till a less power hungry version is released. Is anyone else experiencing this? Anyone have any tips? Is there a setting somewhere I've overlooked.
    Thanks

• This reflects the multi-process architecture of the underlying chromium engine in the browser. The design intent is for each tab and extension to operate within its own computer process to provide increased security and the prevention of one failing tab or extension bringing down the entire browser. Firefox, in its latest version, now incorporates a separate added process for graphics, and the word is that it will eventually adopt separate processes for other things as well.

In recent years, the subject of separate processes in a browser has been thrashed out endlessly, with claims made and disputed by both sides. It does appear that multiple process browsers do incur higher RAM and CPU usage overhead than do single process browsers on the same basic websites, and that can indeed be harder on older systems with their typically lower resource provisioning. On rich or complex-coded websites, that isn't necessarily the case, and single-process browsers may even slow down or choke.

The entire issue reflects the long-standing tendency of hardware specs to advance over time, and the software to evolve to take advantage of the new enhanced specs, especially speed and capacity. Unfortunately, there is no enduring answer to the problems raised by running older hardware in a newer-hardware-focused world, short of simply upgrading the hardware when the issues become intolerable. While there may be settings or tweaks to minimize a browser footprint and impact on a system, the results will usually be marginal at best and highly inconvenient or even intolerable at worst.

• Vivaldi works the same way as Google Chrome! A process for each tab and extension is the best way for a browser to work, because when it locks a tab or an extension fails, it does not interfere with the browser, just the tab that happened the problem.
    If you have 10 guides and 11 processes, this is very good! :relaxed:

• Hi everyone,

I have used Opera since it was ad supported (like version 5) and I really liked its features and small footprint.

Seems like new software are just getting bigger and bigger consuming more and more, sometimes without giving users more functionality... but I know that's not true. (Well, not always.) Modern web, web apps are just more resource intensive... sometimes horribly coded resource inefficient messes... anyway, I sympathize wanting to use modern hardware capabilities and resources, or having a better development experience. As an embedded developer who has to fit everything into less than a megabyte, or even into 16 kB code and 1kB of RAM, sometimes I do get envious of developers who don't have to give a *** about resource cost... But back to browsers:

I don't mind much having multiple processes, even though they add some overhead (compared to threads), if there is a reason for it. Getting more stability is good, though I would appreciate if they just wouldn't crash at all, ...but we all know that there is no bug free program. Since, I do not like security holes in my browser, it would be great if it didn't have buffer overflow bugs at least... ;)

I did mind when google removed chrome://memory-redirect/ because now it's harder to compare memory usage of multi process browsers (in task manager). So I did write some scripts in the end:
    get-process | select Name, PagedMemorySize64 | Group-Object Name | %{ New-Object psobject -Property @{Name = $.Name; Sum=($.Group | Measure-Object PagedMemorySize64 -sum).sum/1MB} } | sort Sum -desc | select -first 25

I do have a fairly modern computer with i7 4790K, SSD, 32GB RAM, so opening a couple of tabs is not a problem in any browser. The problem comes when I have to open a lot of tabs. It happens when I have to research some things, start working on something, keep supporting old projects, prepare for new ones...

I have shut down Chrome when it got above 10 GB RAM usage a year ago. Without The Great Suspender addon Chrome is just unusable for me. Now it's around 5.5 GB with 178 tabs open (most of them suspended of course). Meanwhile Firefox is using 2 GB RAM with 220 tabs open. They both have been running for a week now. (And I don't remember when was the last time Firefox crashed. Go single process! : )

I don't think the difference between Firefox and Chrome regarding memory usage can come from the process model only. (Though I'm not happy about Mozilla's plans of switching to multiprocess Firefox. We'll see...)
    I don't really want to watch 400 browser process running on my PC, though it could be done:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/markrussinovich/2009/07/05/pushing-the-limits-of-windows-processes-and-threads/
    "the general goal for a scalable application is to keep the number of threads running equal to the number of CPUs"

About Vivaldi:
    I have not tested it extensively, but I like it so far. I don't understand why Chrome could not implement text selection within a link (like the old Opera did). Good job Vivaldi developer team! Ctrl+Tab works as it should. Again, I don't know what Google Chrome is doing. The hibernate tab is a nice feature, and a must have for me.

Good luck!

• @szir I hear you, man. I switched browsers over the years, searching for something that doesn't take 95 % of my 8 GB RAM. Chrome isn't unusable without The Great Suspender and I don't wanna wait for tabs to load up all the time as it's a pretty slow process. Vivaldi and hibernate works much better and it saves us from installing an extra extension that hogs RAM, so that's a good thing.

The only thing missing is shortcuts for all hibernate-related commands and a warning for high-consuming tabs so you can stop them at an early stage.

You wrote some scripts for overlooking memory problems in Chrome you said. Is this something we could use in Vivaldi as well? If so, please share it with us.

Finally, if you choose to leave Vivaldi and go back to Firefox (I hope not, but memory...) Firefox still has an option to turn off their new multi-process thing. It's easy to find and leaves you with one or two instances of Firefox.exe at most. This saves you a lot of RAM, but it will slow down Firefox (at least according to Mozilla) as it's not the future! I ran Firefox in that way without any major problems. Only thing is -- if a tab goes mental, you have to restart Firefox, of course.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.