Node.js or PHP?

• Hey everyone,

I've been looking at developing more serious websites recently (I usually use some kind of CMS application such as Wordpress) for my clients, but I'm looking to get a little more involved.

I'm looking for the communities opinion: do I use PHP or Node.js?

Thanks!

My answer to "Node.js or PHP?" is: yes, it depends. ;)
    Take the one where you have more knowledge in programming.

• @Gwen-Dragon said in Node.js or PHP?:

Take the one where you have more knowledge in programming.

Thanks for the response, however I must say: I know both about as well.

What are you most familiar with, and why do you choose to use that over any other language?

@wesleigh I am familiar with Perl :trophy:
    ;)
    I have knowledge about PHP and JS, too – and work often with JS.

But if you force me by using a axe ("Careful with that axe Eugene"*), a tommygun ("Pinball wizard" **) or a atomic bomb ("Atom heart mother" ***) to choose, i would prefer PHP because i dislike the Java-like syntax of JS. ;)

Why i chose like this? Because i am a Perl programming witch and dragoness having alle these virtues****:

• Laziness
    • Impatience
    • Hubris.

* Pink Floyd
    ** The Who
    *** Pink Floyd
    **** Larry Wall
    PS: Forgive me my strange quotes

• @Gwen-Dragon said in Node.js or PHP?:

@wesleigh I am familiar with Perl :trophy:
    ;)
    I have knowledge about PHP and JS, too – and work often with JS.

But if you force me by using a axe ("Careful with that axe Eugene"*), a tommygun ("Pinball wizard" **) or a atomic bomb ("Atom heart mother" ***) to choose, i would prefer PHP because i dislike the Java-like syntax of JS. ;)

Why i chose like this? Because i am a Perl programming witch and dragoness having alle these virtues****:

• Laziness
    • Impatience
    • Hubris.

* Pink Floyd
    ** The Who
    *** Pink Floyd
    **** Larry Wall
    PS: Forgive me my strange quotes

I'm in love with your quotes - they made me really, really smile.

Guess it looks like I'm here to stay!

@wesleigh said in Node.js or PHP?:

I'm in love with your quotes

LOL :kissing_cat:

Guess it looks like I'm here to stay!

Nice to hear!
    You are really welcomed. Vivaldi Community is for Friends.

• I know it is an old topic a month old, just registered here today. Would recommend using js. I am not into programming but a friend does and does it with js. He says it is better than php.

• PHP has some advantages. It's easier to get started with. It runs faster than Node (PHP 7 at least). It is under constant new development, lots of new features including strict types, and doesn't depend on upstream features like Node.js does (whatever Google adds to v8).

There are downsides too, with Node you get the same language on both front-end and backend, and some nice tools that tie into that like React server side rendering. Npm and Yarn are nicer than Composer IMO.

Both have large communities, lots of packages, libraries and tutorials available but PHP is older and has many bad old tutorials out there to beware of.

If you learn PHP you're probably also going to have to know JS for frontend work if you do any of that, and it's always nice to know more than one language. OOP PHP is very much like Java so it's easy to pick up Java if you've worked with PHP.

Overall, both are good.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.