Bookmark toolbar/new tabs

• I have a few questions and I can't find the answers. First. On the left side where the bookmark panel by default once opened can't seem to be closed. After clicking on one to open how do you close it back up so only the black panel remains, I have no use for the giant white contacts, mail, bookmarks, etc. panel to remain open and take up screen space. Surely, there must be a way to minimize this to the point of first download. An "X" in the top right corner would be the most obvious and easiest way to do this. Yes I am aware of the Show panel toggle, but I want to keep the bookmark panel up without having to keep it in an open state (Seriously, how did this idea come about? When did it ever seem like a good idea to open a giant white box that takes up screen space and can't be closed ever come across as a good idea?) Also, if it has to stay in an open state (just an atrocious idea with no redeeming value at all), then the bookmark panel should be set as a horizontal bar across the top not as a vertical bar along the left or right side which consumes vast amount of screen real estate with nothing in it but blank white space. Second. When opening a new tab, is it possible to just open a blank tab? Third> When opening a new tab is there any way t avoid being automatically taken to that tab so you can open several new tabs while staying on the current tab? Thank you for the help.

@MajicMan:

I have a few questions and I can't find the answers.

First.
    On the left side where the bookmark panel by default once opened can't seem to be closed. After clicking on one to open how do you close it back up so only the black panel remains, I have no use for the giant white contacts, mail, bookmarks, etc. panel to remain open and take up screen space. Surely, there must be a way to minimize this to the point of first download. An "X" in the top right corner would be the most obvious and easiest way to do this.
    Yes I am aware of the Show panel toggle, but I want to keep the bookmark panel up without having to keep it in an open state (Seriously, how did this idea come about? When did it ever seem like a good idea to open a giant white box that takes up screen space and can't be closed ever come across as a good idea?)
    Also, if it has to stay in an open state (just an atrocious idea with no redeeming value at all), then the bookmark panel should be set as a horizontal bar across the top not as a vertical bar along the left or right side which consumes vast amount of screen real estate with nothing in it but blank white space.

Second.
    When opening a new tab, is it possible to just open a blank tab?

Third>
    When opening a new tab is there any way t avoid being automatically taken to that tab so you can open several new tabs while staying on the current tab?

Thank you for the help.

One: To close a panel, click on the same button you used to open it. Until I can have a bookmarks bar, I personally am actually leaving the bookmarks panel open.

Two: Not AFAIK at this stage.

Three: Yes. Use middle mouse button to click a link and open a tab in background.

• Thank you for the help.

On my third question (I want to make sure I get this correct) you have to use the middle mouse button or mouse wheel click to open tab without being taken there. There is no way to make a setup so right clicking open in new tab will just pop it open and keep me on the same page?

Thank you.

Not at present. I expect "open in background tab" will be added to the right-click context menu by and by, but for now, at least we have middle-click. it's better than nothing.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.