Installing Vivaldi with apt-get

• I recommend Vivaldi highlight using apt-get on the Linux download page. Its pretty much standard procedure nowadays. If you are interested, here is what you do.

• @cjprindle Why?

I use CLI a lot, when it's efficient to achieve my objectives that way [quite often]. However being a lazy prehistoric cow, whenever i can get away with a simple Deb file download & hashsum check, & thereafter updates maintained by Update Manager in my distro, that's exactly what i do. CLI offers me no actual benefit in such cases.

Furthermore my thought is that the diehard Linux CLI non-GUI warriors already know how to do what you wrote, & do it, whilst newbies [& lazy old things like me] would eschew that in favour of GUI whenever they can.

Finally, you only covered Stable, not SS, & [i'm going waaaaaaay out on a limb here; doubtless wrong & about to be caned for it :-) ] i suspect that more "newbie GUI Users" would use Stable, whilst more "CLI veterans" might use SS. Let the rock-throwing begin.

..............................................................................................
    Tower & Lappy = Maui Linux 17.03 x64 Plasma 5.9.3.
    ..............................................................................................

• @Steffie said in Installing Vivaldi with apt-get:

a simple Deb file download & hashsum check, & thereafter updates maintained by Update Manager in my distro, that's exactly what i do. CLI offers me no actual benefit in such cases.

What the lady said.
    Doing it once for Stable and then once again for Snapshot is straightforward.

Downloading from Vivaldi downlowd page
    sudo dpkg -i …deb
    sudo apt-get -f install

is enough.
    the apt-get -f install is for OS missing some packages.

• Well, in my particular case, I was forced into using the CLI due to the fact that Kubuntu 17.4 refused to execute the .deb package from it's software management GUI. That fact is part of my point. Reliability, consistency, configuration, manipulation, these are hallmarks of the robust and mature CLI ecosystem.

The software development community has moved almost exclusively to CLI for delivery of product, dependencies, upgrades, and maintenance. NPM, Angular, Homebrew, NuGet, Cargo, etc, etc... the list goes on and on.

You seemed to suggest the ability to type several lines into a terminal as akin to sorcery. A dark art where the uninitiated risk madness and woe should they blindly rush into it. On the contrary, nearly everyone quickly gets up to speed because the vast majority on CLI projects present a consistent user experience. Moreover, most users eventually regard the CLI experience as vastly superior to mindlessly watching a status bar while your computer is secretly loaded with a huge amount of files and settings you have no chance of stopping if you want the underlying software.

TLDR; - GUI installs are for sheep and the mentally unfit who while away during GUI installs by drooling.

Cheers!

• @Steffie

Well, in my particular case, I was forced into using the CLI due to the fact that Kubuntu 17.4 refused to execute the .deb package from it's software management GUI. That fact is part of my point. Reliability, consistency, configuration, manipulation, these are hallmarks of the robust and mature CLI ecosystem.

The software development community has moved almost exclusively to CLI for delivery of product, dependencies, upgrades, and maintenance. NPM, Angular, Homebrew, NuGet, Cargo, etc, etc... the list goes on and on.

You seemed to suggest the ability to type several lines into a terminal as akin to sorcery. A dark art where the uninitiated risk madness and woe should they blindly rush into it. On the contrary, nearly everyone quickly gets up to speed because the vast majority on CLI projects present a consistent user experience. Moreover, most users eventually regard the CLI experience as vastly superior to mindlessly watching a status bar while your computer is secretly loaded with a huge amount of files and settings you have no chance of stopping if you want the underlying software.

TLDR; - GUI installs are for sheep and the mentally unfit who while away during GUI installs by drooling.

Cheers!

• @cjprindle Nevermind Deleted comment

• @cjprindle Clearly you are here to troll not contribute. Against my better judgement i shall do something i shouldn't; feed a troll.

1. You like CLI? Excellent, fabulous, wonderful... keep on using it, go your hardest, go solid with it, revel in your manifest superiority & superduperness.
    2. Contemplate, as you embark on your international career of CLI-evangelising, that a wise person understands & respects the difference between enthusiasm & totalitarianism. People often enjoy the enthusiasm of an Enlightened Other, but eschew & disdain those who transgress into totalitarian dictates & abuse of the self-evidently sheepy proletariat who inexplicably don't share your view & perversely don't climb aboard the bandwagon.
    3. "I was forced into using the CLI due to the fact that Kubuntu 17.4 refused to execute the .deb package" --> Here, please accept a bucket-load of my earnest sympathy that you made an unwise choice of distro, then compounded it with obstinacy to not seek a far better alternative. You poor thing. Diddums.
    4. "from it's software management GUI" --> Ah, possibly this is the most delicious aspect of your trolling rant. I love that trolls generally bash their keyboards so fast, tongue askew, eyes bulging, panting hard, that all their corporeal energy is diverted away from unimportant cerebral functions like, well for instance, adequate comprehension & execution of grammar, punctuation &/or spelling. "It's" actually means "It is"; the apostrophe in this instance denotes a contraction, not a possessive as you appear to believe.

Thank you for your insightful contributions, & displayed maturity at not taking umbrage that another person [or many] disagrees with your wisdom. I can see that you'll be a wonderful V community member here... once you leave your teens.

• @zaibon I find it amazing, the crouch from which people will leap into action to demonstrate their defensiveness, inability to take a joke, and their assumption everything is about them. If you read the original reply you'd see a fair amount of kidding around concerning the relative merits of using a CLI vs standard installs. I took that as a demonstration that the discussion was not terribly serious -- because it really is not - and decided to pile on.

But, of course, there is always someone around to misconstrue every word and phrase in order to lash out and put their stamp of authority on what is and is not acceptable. Nice to meet you, Debbie Downer. Enjoy InstallShield....

• @cjprindle

@cjprindle said in Installing Vivaldi with apt-get:

[...] and put their stamp of authority on what is and is not acceptable

Excuse me.... what? Are we talking about the same posts? 0_o

EDIT: After rereading I now think I get what you mean. You were hinting at this post - right?

GUI installs are for sheep and the mentally unfit who while away during GUI installs by drooling.
    Cheers!

@cjprindle Removed Indents in your post.
    Do not indent paragraphs as they will get formatted as code.
    Please read formatting help and check the preview before sending.

Stop this, you violate forum rules. Reported.

• If you want to update manually from time to time you don't need apt-get. But once you have added the Vivaldi repos to your sources.list.d you allways get the newest stable or snapshot release during your system update. You don't need to care about new versions, apt-get does it for you.

• I found the original post to be both informative and useful and didn't find anything posted to be
    described as

Clearly you are here to troll not contribute

• @CantankRus You might care to notice that my post from which you quoted was not in response to the original post, but instead to their subsequent defamatory pejorative [ie, troll-esque] post. Context matters.

• @Steffie
    ..and by "anything posted" I mean anything in the thread.

Installing with the GUI software package installer should work on KDE.

On my Debian 8 it works fine. If i open the downloaded Vivaldi…deb file with Apper-Installer, it shows me that it needs to install libappindicator1 and the it asks for the password to start the installer as root user.

I fear Kubuntu does some strange things or has its own broken installer GUI if it can not install.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.