email client?

• Any word about an email client?
    Or is it " @vivaldi.net "?

I ask because of this, very old, article...http://techdows.com/2016/08/vivaldi-email-client-is-coming.html
    The article shows an email icon in the side panel. It's an image of an internal test version.

• The email icon in panel was even present in the first tech preview. So everyone used to have it. They removed it later on. The email client is supposedly going live in version 2.0. Soon™

• Thanks! There has been users mentioning it but haven't heard anything about it for quite a while.

• Perhaps you may get a Snapshot with Mail for testing this year. But i do not swear that it will be.

• @Gwen-Dragon said in email client?:

Perhaps you may get a Snapshot with Mail for testing this year.

You are kidding ...

@michaa7: Nope. Seems likely to me as well that we might see it this year.

• You will get the Mail client When It Is Ready.

@michaa7 said in email client?:

You are kidding ...

Hmmmpfff! No. I am a serious person, i do not tell you False Facts.

If i do not give some information on internal work, users cry there will not be a Mail client, if i do tell, they argue i am nagging and kidding.
    Yeah, hard work with communication.
    Unfortunately i yesterday got a a gag order from the NSI to keep all information about the secret M3 mailware in closure.

But i can give you a serious public information about wat ever comes up and will be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feLYScItHMo

• @Gwen-Dragon

I was refering to the timespan (this year) which somehow sounds like it could be not before December. I was hoping we're much, much, much closer to Vivaldi v2.0 (which is supposed to provide m3 as far as I understand former notices).

• It's soon. That means they don't know. In November it will be soon still, and next February it will be soon too. Last year it was hinted at (but very casually) several times that it could come out at the end of 2016, or early 17. Now hints are for late 17 or early 18. The point is nobody has a clue and you shouldn't actively wait for it, because it makes no sense. They will make a surprise release when they are finished and that's that.

• Could I become a tester? I exclusively use use imap localy.

:-)

@michaa7 You need to develop a reputation in the Vivaldi community, and be invited by the Team, in order to be considered as a tester. Then you have to have some sort of personal qualities, experience or skills that enhance our tester pool, to be accepted even after invited. Obviously, it's not for everyone. Out of over 90,000 registered users, there are only some seventy testers or so.

• Am I the only one who feels that an integrated email client in Vivaldi is a tragically bad idea? It's often said, in defense of Vivaldi's bugs, usability problems or missing features, that Vivaldi is being developed by a fairly small team with few (or perhaps one?) funding sources.

A good email client is hardly a trivial project, and I fear that dividing these resources over two nontrivial endeavors will result in both a mediocre email client and a mediocre browser.

• @jtackaberry I'm totally with you, I've never understood why a web browser should also act as a mail client and I'm not concerned a bit of that part being developed at all, I only care of the browser being developed and getting loved by more users as much I already do.

• @jtackaberry said in email client?:

Am I the only one who feels that an integrated email client in Vivaldi is a tragically bad idea?

Not the only one, but the one who matters, Jon von Tetzchner (article from 2 years ago), thinks it's a good idea. I agree with him, which is why I am using Vivaldi, and patiently waiting for the email client so that I can uninstall Opera 12.17.

“I don’t think webmail is for everyone,” he told me. “It’s definitely not for the advanced user. We find that lots of users have multiple mail accounts and they don’t tie together and when you have the mail client built into the browser, it feels more natural.” Vivaldi will soon offer its users a Vilvaldi.net email address, but the mail client will work with any email account.”

• @jtackaberry said in email client?:

Am I the only one who feels that an integrated email client in Vivaldi is a tragically bad idea? It's often said, in defense of Vivaldi's bugs, usability problems or missing features, that Vivaldi is being developed by a fairly small team with few (or perhaps one?) funding sources.
    A good email client is hardly a trivial project, and I fear that dividing these resources over two nontrivial endeavors will result in both a mediocre email client and a mediocre browser.

You brought a theme with terms that I am not related to, but you have set out in clear terms, containing aspects that need to be debated. Hence my positive vote for you.

@iAN-CooG: You're not the only one to consider it "tragically bad," and not the only one to be wrong about that. Vivaldi does not "act as a mail client." It INCLUDES a mail client, built into the interface - IF THE USER WANTS IT. and I want it, and it's nearly the only reason I jumped from Opera to Vivaldi. I was missing the built-in mail client - and had been since the abandonment of Opera12. Some of our work flows simply require this, and I have needed it, and had it, for nearly two decades.

For those who don't want a mail client in their browser, its optional presence inflicts no penalty, no downside, and it can merely never be "turned on," hence never impacting the browser in any way whatever, aside from initial download size (and less than a 25% impact in that department as well). Further, as the development teams are separate, it doesn't impact the development speed, either.

For those who do want it, it provides a reason to adopt this internet suite, and helps to provide Vivaldi with a user base, which may guarantee its survival. I'm sitting here looking at my email panel on the left, my web in the middle, and my tabs on the right, and could scarcely be happier - plus - my browser performance is the same in this version as in the snapshot. I fail to see the "tragedy" here. It's a win-win from my view.

• I am a user very poorly served by technical knowledge. When Opera user, I stayed a long time without enabling the integrated email client, the famous M2. When I finally did, after a time of perplexity, I was invaded by a passion, that if I had the English that Ayespy has, I would have made a love poem the most similar to the above.

In my language, however, I did so in the local Myopera forum. And within all my deficiency of knowledge, I, incredibly cheeky, came to define a tutorial for it, in pps format. Reported through my One Drive at Microsoft, then Skydrive. And I have heard that it was approved, and more useful than I could have initially imagined, in the scope he achieved. Old and non-renewable times. Tiny glories that will not come again, nor have I any more encouragement to endure.

• Another observation may be allowed to me. The previous topic about this subject, which was closed (or locked, don´t know how to refer to it), have its category changed to "all platforms", if I am remembering correctly . I ask for this be done with this one. Don't we let Linux and others out of the matter, that seems to me belongs to all SO.

• @Quinca71 said in email client?:

Don't we let Linux and others out of the matter, that seems to me belongs to all

No need, we Linux users know it's coming and are expecting it "when it's ready".

@Ayespy

I'm sitting here looking at my email panel on the left, my web in the middle, and my tabs on the right

So cruel :cry:

• @TbGbe said in email client?:

... it's coming and are expecting it "when it's ready".

However, with too much pain! :frowning:

@TbGbe said in email client?:

So cruel

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.